Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 04:10 PM

167 posts, read 267,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Well, I'll say it - trying to find a good man in Los Angeles is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It's impossible. I've met guys that are born and bred here, transplants that have lived here for awhile and the like - they ALL seem to have a problem with TRUTHFULNESS. And if you call them out on it, they look at you like you're crazy. It's like you're supposed to pretend the b.s. is true and just go with the flow. I can't. The lies are too stupid for me to let slide.

I think this is where my frustration lies with this city. I can't get with the program. I don't want to brag and go into debt buying stuff I can't afford just so that someone else could think that I'm "important" and that I have clout.

Also, the underlying racial issues here bother me too. I can't get with the latino hate. Sorry. Maybe in another twenty years or so, but not right now.
Okay then. So this is why LA is supposedly "fake." Honestly, I don't know what you're talking about. Not everyone in this city is like that ya know. So one or two natives are like that. I'm a native, and I don't use superficial criteria to decide who I want to be friends with. Sorry, but you're referring to mostly the transplants...people who "buy into the hype" as you put it and try to act the way they think they should act. It's all BS. Honestly, transplants are like that everywhere...even in NYC, many of whom try to mirror their lives after Sex and the City. And Sex and the City isn't exactly known for teaching morals, good behavior, or anything of the sort. In fact, it's been criticized as being an extremely superficial show. Anyways, back to the topic. I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with such people, but that doesn't mean everyone here is like that. Based on my years of experience in this city, I can honestly say that I've forged friendships with GOOD people, the RIGHT people who have good intentions and warm hearts and don't put up a facade to try and fool people. Honestly, I think these people put up facades not because they want to, but because they feel they need to. Again, sorry about your experiences here and hopefully your last month here will show a different side from the people. But just know that not all of us here are like that. Everytime someone labels this city has "fake and superficial" I feel like I'm misrepresented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 04:16 PM

167 posts, read 267,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wen5155 View Post
Just wondering how the dating scene is for single girl like me, mid twenties and working in finance...not modeling or acting. I don't want to date would-be actors. I just want to date normal guys. Do they exist in LA. Are there any men that are smart, nice looking and have a career and still single? I'm good looking, but not a model so I am wondering if the competition for singles is too much. I don't want to have to compete against beauty queens. thanks for your advice everyone.
Yes. The place for you is PASADENA, not Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, etc. Those places have all the wannabe actors and actresses you are talking about. Pasadena, where I live, is filled with lots of genuine and good-looking people. It's also a great place to live with plenty of dining, nightlife, shopping, and cultural options. It's also very CLEAN.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:29 AM

18 posts, read 85,900 times
It's true you can find good people anywhere in any city. But, I'm looking at the odds of finding a good relationship. NYC is great for men, not women. Everyone here knows this fact. If you are a guy that has a good job (and I'm talking at least 6 figures) then, by all means, move to NY. You'll have a great life. But...just remember, the men here are all smart and make great money. The problem, is that they are not into relationships. If you are looking to settle down and do very well financially, by all means go East.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:18 AM

6,459 posts, read 11,989,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Okay then. So this is why LA is supposedly "fake." Honestly, I don't know what you're talking about. Not everyone in this city is like that ya know. So one or two natives are like that. I'm a native, and I don't use superficial criteria to decide who I want to be friends with. Sorry, but you're referring to mostly the transplants...people who "buy into the hype" as you put it and try to act the way they think they should act. It's all BS. Honestly, transplants are like that everywhere...even in NYC, many of whom try to mirror their lives after Sex and the City. And Sex and the City isn't exactly known for teaching morals, good behavior, or anything of the sort. In fact, it's been criticized as being an extremely superficial show. Anyways, back to the topic. I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with such people, but that doesn't mean everyone here is like that. Based on my years of experience in this city, I can honestly say that I've forged friendships with GOOD people, the RIGHT people who have good intentions and warm hearts and don't put up a facade to try and fool people. Honestly, I think these people put up facades not because they want to, but because they feel they need to. Again, sorry about your experiences here and hopefully your last month here will show a different side from the people. But just know that not all of us here are like that. Everytime someone labels this city has "fake and superficial" I feel like I'm misrepresented.
You're right. I think it is mostly transplants, but I have met several born and raised types who fit the "strange" category too.

You seem like a cool person Westsidelife. Being a lifelong resident here, then you know what I'm talking about. The people who are REAL like you are for and few between.

Oh, SEX AND THE CITY is soooooooooo stupid! Ask any NYer and they'll tell you that show is straight up hollywood fantasy.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,485,694 times
Quote:

Oh, SEX AND THE CITY is soooooooooo stupid! Ask any NYer and they'll tell you that show is straight up hollywood fantasy.
For one thing, it was a little weird that Sex And The City depicted a New York with only one Jewish character and no black characters. I don't think there were too many Italian-American or Latino characters either if any at all.

Then again, film/TV depictions of cities can be a bit off ethnically. Bulworth depicted an L.A. devoid of Latinos. Amelie depicted a Paris with only one Arab character and no blacks (which caused some people to refer to it as a white supremacist Le Pen fantasy).

Old 09-05-2007, 08:01 AM

413 posts, read 1,841,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wen5155 View Post
I like santa monica. However, when I went to visit a male friend, he said I was the most "real" and "down to earth" girl he has met in a long time. WOW! That really did not give me a good feeling about LA. I don't want to have a problem meeting nice down to earth people.
I hear ya. When we visit L.A. people tell us we are down to earth too, then they just stare at us in marvel with a twinkle in their eye as if they are relishing the moment of being in the presence of down to earth people. Not bragging at all, but this really has happened. I don't know if it's good or bad. Maybe they are really thinking,"look at these midwesterners. They look soooo out of fashion" or something like that. I'm who I am, and it kinda turns my stomach after awhile of seeing people with all these million dollar houses and cars and stuff. I better get used to that though, I know. I think you'll find some cool guys. Usually the people who have lived in other areas of the country are more apt to be "approachable". Not to say anything bad about the native Angeleans, no way would I do that, but this is just from my own experience. Good Luck!!! And watch out for the creeps.

PS- My wife got propositioned by a guy and girl from an adult modeling agency to do some "modeling", I was standing there trying not to laugh cuz these people are very brave. Watch out for the wolves.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:36 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,317,604 times
Quote:
You're right. I think it is mostly transplants, but I have met several born and raised types who fit the "strange" category too.

You seem like a cool person Westsidelife. Being a lifelong resident here, then you know what I'm talking about. The people who are REAL like you are for and few between.

I can't identify with either statement. I've found L.A. the easiest place by far to meet people. New Yorkers are far more brash up front but it's harder to get to know them...although you always know where you stand. You can meet an L.A. resident, immediately go to lunch with them and by the end of it they're spilling out their life story. L.A. residents want you to like them so may be more inclined to tell you what you want to hear. Every last one of my lifelong friends I've met here and I've lived all over the place. One of my best friends is a transplanted New Yorker.

I've never found it necessary to be phony and I'm 3rd generation. With me what you see is what you get. I'm real except my hair color. Often I hear "phony" misapplied to people who like to drive nice cars, maintain an attractive appearance and dress and practise social etiquitte. I'll take that any day over belching and farting, ugly clothes, b.o. and spiral perms...and two...two...two haircuts in one!

I've found I get what I project. Some people are easier to love than others. Ahem.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,777 times
Default flora and fauna

i waana a help to find the online dada base of worldwide descriptions of flora and fauna supported with pictures, especially in arab countries like YEMEN.
with best wishes

Old 01-11-2008, 12:46 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,366,170 times
The dating scene is awful in Los Angeles. The worst type of guys, so self absorbed, and wanting to keep things "open". The problem is that there is no shortage of women in L.A. either. Be careful because some guys aren't exclusively heterosexual. My honey is a foreign import, with none of the superficial values that so many men in Los Angeles get accustomed to.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,901 times
Default single girl looking to move to LA

If you want to stay a "single girl," move to LA. If you want to settle down, find a nice guy, buy a house, and have a couple of kids, don't move to LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles