U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-29-2007, 07:51 PM

1,288 posts, read 3,566,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
YES, you were on the east coast? YOU? No wonder you're able to be scathing, GO EAST COAST. Rah! Whereabouts? Gotta check on this one later as the baby is getting insistent. But...what an interesting fact you've just revealed!
Don't sound so shocked. That's not a secret. I've mentioned it in posts before. Yep, six years. DC and Boston.

BTW, I do feel the love from you East Coasters, but you know how it is. I only root for the west side.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 08:36 PM

26,362 posts, read 54,228,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

If you have to move to SoCal, do you have to fly out of LAX? Why not use Van Nuys airport?
VNY? Only in a Lear, Gulfstream or Citation.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:17 AM

1,134 posts, read 75,991 times
[quote=Mathiasthegreat;1386529]

Since I'm in real estate that means Im certainly not afraid of a fixer upper...I rather find a foreclosure in the million dollar range to pick up fix up live in and then come out pretty good on the back side.

Check out a program on BRAVO called "Flipping Out", I think. It has this dude who goes around buying fixer -uppers and fixing them up for sale. You'll see a lot of the area. Very interesting, but it's kind of like a reality show.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:34 AM

8,094 posts, read 13,043,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
VNY? Only in a Lear, Gulfstream or Citation.
Oh. Well I thought everybody had a Lear Jet. "Oh, yeah. Get chyour F$^%ing Jumbo Jet off ma Airport!"- Bonn Scott (God rest his soul) http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/mcgowdog/67649930_m.gif (broken link)

I guess I meant the Burbank Airport. Can one fly a Regional jet out of there for less than $50.00 more than flying out of LAX?

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/mcgowdog/SoCalProspectors.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-30-2007 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: spacing

Old 08-30-2007, 08:44 PM

26,362 posts, read 54,228,764 times
Quote:
"Oh, yeah. Get chyour F$^%ing Jumbo Jet off ma Airport!"- Bonn Scott (God rest his soul)

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/mcgowdog/67649930_m.gif (broken link)

Can one fly a Regional jet out of there for less than $50.00 more than flying out of LAX?
Only if one has big balls.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:31 PM

I guess that would be me. One of these days, they're gonna get me into trouble.

Hello LA, here I come. I expect to be working for Labor Day! Yay for me.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:30 PM

5,852 posts, read 1,568,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
And you are NOT allowed to not show love for Los Angeles. (getting out paddle and beating Gowdog with it) Back. BACK. BACK. BACK. You get DOWN in that basement and DON'T YOU COME UP until you admit that L.A. is the singularly best place on earth.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Work work work ALL the time to beat down the nay-sayers...is one's work never done...

Okay, show's over for me, the baby's up from his nap!

And Angelion, I know you're going to be mad but I am just trying to have a little fun with you and maybe getting you to just chuckle at this stuff.
You are such a riot! I have been laughing my butt off reading your responses and loving your honesty. You really do have a whole new ring to your posts lately. Anything changed or are you ASSIMILATING? Don't assimilate too much and lose your edge!

Old 09-01-2007, 12:52 AM

11,820 posts, read 12,324,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
You are such a riot! I have been laughing my butt off reading your responses and loving your honesty. You really do have a whole new ring to your posts lately. Anything changed or are you ASSIMILATING? Don't assimilate too much and lose your edge!
No...okay, this is going to sound crazy...and again I'm taking things OT (sorry, everybody)...but I looked to the future, and there are 17 more years before the baby is 18, and he's the youngest, and as soon as he's 18, I am going where I want to go. And that's it. I will stick this out...for a lot of reasons...none of which I like. But worst case scenario, only 17 more years to go.

When I first actually counted forward to it--because until that point, I was still daydreaming that my husband would EVER consider my wishes and move, even at some point in the future--I was depressed. But then I thought, barring death, 17 years are going to come and go anyway. I'll be 57 at that time. People in my family tend to die early but I assume I should have at least 5 years before I die to be some place I love. So that's the plan. In the meantime...I'm trying to enjoy the things about LA that are great. And there are great things. But...it's not home.

Some day, when I'm nearing 60, I will be home.

But yeah, there are great things about L.A. I'll bet I'd have loved it so much more if I were younger, single, etc. like the OP, so to the OP: I think you have a good chance of really having a great experience and maybe staying.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:50 PM

We were leaving LA yesterday morning. We were headed to LAX at 4:00 a.m. and on the way, we were almost T-boned by a cop and we almost ran over a dude on his bicycle.

I wasn't driving, so it wasn't too surprising to me. We were proceeding up Sepulveda and through a green light when LA's finest ran a red light through the intersection and I yelled at Jeff "Watch the F@%$ out"! Then he swerved right and slammed on the brakes and the cop went by us like it was his business. I spilled about half of my coffee on the dash of our rental car. Stupid LA Cops! Then we pulled into a gas station on Century and once Jeff got out to gas up, I heard this yelling. This Crack Dealin looking dude was running out into the street and yelling at cars as they drove by. Jeff noticed that they didn't take credit cards at the pump. He went inside and came out, both of us monitoring this Crack Dealing looking dude coming back towards the gas station. Jeff got in and said, "Let's go somewhere else", to which I agreed. As Jeff was ready to turn right out of the gas station, I was looking out my window and saw this dude get on his bike, turn it around and was coming right in front of us. Jeff started onto Century and I said "STOP". Jeff reluctantly slammed on his brakes and I spilled what was left of my coffee. He missed the Crack Dealer looking dude by an inch. He didn't even turn and look at us. He just rode past us and into the LA morning. Jeff said that he wished he ran him over. I said "he'd probably get stuck in our drive shaft and I'll miss my flight back home".

LA is a ghetto.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:24 PM

67 posts, read 141,006 times
Quote:
LA is a ghetto.
And so is Detroit, D.C., Atlanta, Baltimore, Philly, etc. Generally speaking, big cities tend to be rough. You can move to Big Bear, Bass Lake or Carlsbad and never experience what you just experienced near LAX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles