Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 04:30 AM

44 posts, read 133,907 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Houston and will be moving to northern california next year. I grew up in LA, and I miss it. LA is the bomb I dont care what people say. And if you dont like LA then move!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 07:51 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
Thank ALL of you who were kind enough to respond and commiserate with me. And they say LA folks are rude...... they obviously don't find the right folks!

You guys are great.

I really do want to go back and I am hoping it won't be more than 2 school years, but we will see.

I have 16 plus years invested in the school district there and really want to get my 30 years in before retirement.....LAUSD has very good retirement.

And don't even get me started on the anti-teacher's union folks in NC who think that 50% less in salary should be just fine to survive here.

ARGH!

Dawn

Old 08-31-2007, 09:37 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
If your so east coast than why you even move to LA in the first place?
Because like everyone else I fell for the hype.

If there had been a forum like this when I first moved, I wouldn't have come. TRUST.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:57 AM

17 posts, read 38,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
At least the Midwest ghettos are cheap and don't cost $500k to buy a house.
The Midwest ghettos don't cost $500K because the winter begins in October and ends in April. A seven month winter, no thanks, I'll keeps my low 50's to high 60's in Southern California. I think many more people would agree, and they obviously have based on the housing market prices and location. In real estate, it's all about location, location, location.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:48 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TijuanaGringo View Post
The Midwest ghettos don't cost $500K because the winter begins in October and ends in April. A seven month winter, no thanks, I'll keeps my low 50's to high 60's in Southern California. I think many more people would agree, and they obviously have based on the housing market prices and location. In real estate, it's all about location, location, location.
I don't really think this is why--it has to be some other reason. People who have grown up with temperature extremes don't see them as much in that "How could you live like that!" way. I don't really know how to explain that--I mean no, it's not *fun* to be really really cold but we just don't feel all that upset about it. When you live in a culture that includes cold, you develop a whole lot of cold-weather culture to go along with it that's fun. Skiing, ice skating, ice hockey, building snowmen, the certain seasonal foods you eat, the way you get out a whole different wardrobe for that part of the year and it's kind of exciting...Norman Rockwell Christmases...stuff like that. Just like in Southern California where there is a warm-weather culture with the surfing and other things.

So although cold winters do make some people move, and as I said it's not like it's a gas to just be standing there cold, I just don't think this could be the main reason. Not for people who have actually grown up in such a climate (or not for all, I should say).

Old 08-31-2007, 12:41 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,566 times
Why did I come here? Opportunity with a capital O. I have lived and or visited all over the states and travelled all over the globe. I think LA is a really cool place to be. There is so much to do. The weather is beautiful. Sure if you are stuck in a daily grind and can't get out it can suck. But I say also that is your own fault. And I am not exactly loaded....in fact being a student at 41 years old should give you an idea of my finances! But in all the places I have ever been, LA has more to offer then most, and for nothing! And better yet, I have been finding that LA is doable with no car.

I think people get complacent....no one ever said life is easy no matter what your salary. I think the important thing is to put yourself in a place where it has the most stuff you enjoy. I have found that in LA. Every place has their bad points.

Sure it is hard when you have a family. I have kids, but mine are grown and starting college themselves now. We didn't always live in good places, but I was active in dragging them places to where there is good things and free/cheap things to do. I would be dead tired sometimes but it paid off. You have to counter act the bad with the good and then they are balanced individuals.

Yeah it would have been great to start off life for them in some Wally Cleaver world....but that is the problem with alot of kids and adults for that matter...they don't learn the value of anything cause they don't have to struggle for anything.

Am I crazy for being middle-aged and moving here and possibly destroying any left over chance to be secure later in life by spending what little savings I have? Perhaps. But the opportunities that exist here are the best lottery I have ever hit in my opinion, and I am sure I will take that with me and it will pay off down the road.

LA is great!

Old 08-31-2007, 12:53 PM

234 posts, read 1,157,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I'm in Las Vegas and would much rather be a part of L. A.- Want back pleassssse

hey Las Vegas is a really nice place too. image how big its going to be in 10 years.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:21 PM

129 posts, read 663,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't really think this is why--it has to be some other reason. People who have grown up with temperature extremes don't see them as much in that "How could you live like that!" way. I don't really know how to explain that--I mean no, it's not *fun* to be really really cold but we just don't feel all that upset about it. When you live in a culture that includes cold, you develop a whole lot of cold-weather culture to go along with it that's fun. Skiing, ice skating, ice hockey, building snowmen, the certain seasonal foods you eat, the way you get out a whole different wardrobe for that part of the year and it's kind of exciting...Norman Rockwell Christmases...stuff like that. Just like in Southern California where there is a warm-weather culture with the surfing and other things.

So although cold winters do make some people move, and as I said it's not like it's a gas to just be standing there cold, I just don't think this could be the main reason. Not for people who have actually grown up in such a climate (or not for all, I should say).
You're right it's not just the weather - although there is an interesting correlation between cloudy weather and suicide rates (it was recently cloudy here in MN for 22 days straight, in summer)

There have also been several studies proving how sunny comfortable weather inexorably and significantly can boost ones mood.

With that aside - I myself have moved 17 times over the course of my life (I am 18 years old) and was raised by a single mother on welfare. This did not afford me fun times in MN, especially when the heater was broken for 4 months in winter with no money to fix it while the -30* cold seeped into the house. Minnesota/the midwest is my waking nightmare for 7 1/2 - 9 months out of the year (depending on how long the winter turns out to be)

In order to understand the vastness of the climate change, it must be taken into account that there is a big biological difference between a hot arid desert and a rainforest. Granted, temperature extremes per-se, there are other places where the ranges are greater. But what would truly be more different: a place like Fairbanks in the winter and like Phoenix in the summer, or a place like Fairbanks in the winter but like Honolulu in the summer? Sure, Phoenix is hotter, but Honolulu is more biological. That's the basis on which it can be stated that the Minnesota region sports the most variable climate of all.

The seasonal extremes are painful, but the actual degree of transition is even worse. Most creatures are adapted to a root climate which can include seasonal variation, not to an environment in which the climate literally turns 180 degrees and includes almost everything in between.

Since many kids born here are kept in a single household and have a set group of lifelong friends here, it was very difficult growing up, as many are quite cautious of accepting newcomers into a group. Sure, people are friendly but beyond being friendly (hanging out, going and seeing movies, roadtrips etc) you will end up hitting a brick wall.

Now when I lived in Venice for 3 months I found that people in SoCal were the opposite of the typical minnesota reserved and I felt that I fit in much better. People didn't assume I was gay because I rocked brands like Buffalo, Dior Homme, and because I go to a spa every so often for some microdermabrasion or a facial. People don't assume I'm "CRAAAAZY" because I streak for the hell of it. And when people are nice they will HANG OUT WITH YOU and not just be reserved and hang out with the same 12 people that they have been for the last 22 years.

I was offered a scholarship to attend CalArts for film - lucky for me because CalArts costs 40,000 a year, which I wouldn't be able to afford. I was gifted with this opportunity for winning NFAA national contest for Film, and got to Meet martin scorsese, and won $5000. Good times. Unfortunately, school starts on the 3rd and I'm sick as a dog with mono, so now I can't attend this year.

Does this mean I will stay in MN? HELL NO! It's far too awful here, and deprived of opportunity to even consider staying. Once I get better I will be flying out to LA to interview at several post houses (I worked at one here in MN) and will rent an apartment close to work.

The local populace is completely devoid of any ambition - all the kids my age simply want to sit in each others basement smoking weed and drinking. Nothing wrong with that - but they will simply end up like many of the negative people on this forum, thinking inside of the box, convinced that the only way to succeed is get a job like everybody else has by trudging through the college system for economics or business or whatnot - and concern themselves with mortgages and economics and family values

Most Minnesotans rant on and on about their strong economy as if it signifies that Minneapolis is a vibrant, world-class place like New York City! Plainly put, this kind of ignorance HAS TO stop! It's digging Minnesota society into an even deeper rut than it's in already! The fact that a place is so local that this viewpoint has persisted for at least the past two or three years is a sign of a sick society. Oh, and it doesn't help much that the news media seems to propel this viewpoint along.

"OOH this place has such strong family values! You can't say anything bad about us!"

My strongest brush with the Minnesota ego was when once, during a discussion, I made a lighthearted joke by comparing the difference between Minneapolis and St. Paul with the difference between taking a urine sample and taking a stool sample: it's sort of gross handing your doctor a cup of pee but not as bad as handing your doctor a plate of poop! Minneapolis is the cup of pee and St. Paul is the plate of poop. (That is to say, a lot of Minneapolis' reputation is based on comparing itself to something which is essentially the same thing but worse; the cowtown "Twin Cities" thus defined.)

Well, when I made this comment, I got stiff opposition from a fellow who acted like it should be illegal to say anything bad about this pristine Kingdom of Thorns! He appeared almost to have tears in his eyes.

It's simply ridiculous

Also for the midwest the housing prices here aren't even that low, because we're not the worst of it - I'd have to go with Michigan - that place is garbage

Hope I answered your questions JerZ

Old 08-31-2007, 05:22 PM

17 posts, read 38,877 times
JerZ, I enjoyed your comment very much. You could very well be true, maybe some people haven't lived in the Midwest, South, or Northeast, to become accustomed to the weather, like those who have lived there before. Therefore the people who have not lived there, can build a narrow minded sterotypical view of nasty cold and hot weather, thus causing them to think only California weather is pleasant or bearable. Very well said. In opposite, my father lived in Virginia and Michigan, and complained about both the summers and winters in both places, and many East Coast Transplants to California have whined about how terrible the weather is back East. But, true some people I'm sure do grow accustomed to the weather in their respectable region, therefore can pay for a cheaper home. But, I think many people in California, think the weather sucks everywhere outside of its borders, thus cancelling any notion of moving for cheaper property.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:51 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
L.A is not the Worst Place,trust me their are Much Worst places in other parts of the Country and in the World,but unfortunately it's the Ghetto Parts that give the Entire Region a Bad Image and also Violent Movies being set in L.A don't help either.

L.A probably receives the most Generalization out of any U.S City,but L.A is Huge and has Millions of People and is Very Diverse.

I used to live in the L.A Region as a kid,and I visit friends there often,and not once have I ever saw a Gangster and not once have I ever became a Victim of Crime.

I know that everyone has different experiences in L.A,but if L.A is truly horrible,the City would be ranked in the top 10 most Dangerous Cities List,but it's not on that list,and if L.A was horrible you wouldn't have people paying lots of $$$$ to live there,and if L.A was horrible you wouldn't have a Metro Population of 18 Million+ living there.

L.A remains a Very Desirable Place and that's the reason why the Housing Prices are Outrageous and it's also the reason why it's Population continues to Grow.

I Love L.A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles