Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 07:02 PM

29 posts, read 184,900 times

Advertisements

I've been living at this apartment for about 2 months, and thus far it seems like a great place. The neighbors and apartment managers are very friendly, and it's very reasonably priced. However, there is one thing that I'm having a tough time getting used to: Very thin walls. I actually heard somebody in another apartment snoring a few times. When somebody nearby is watching a movie, my apartment gets blasted pretty heavily. I can hear people talking on the phone, so I assume they probably hear my phone conversations too. I already use headphones to listen to the radio and/or to music, and also to block out other music/TV sounds that I don't want to hear.

My question: This is the first apartment I have rented. How common is this level of wall thinness? If and when I move next time, I want to take wall thickness into consideration when I choose an apartment. And for those who have experienced paper thin walls, do you have any advice for a thin wall newbie? Thanks!

Edit: In the title, it should be "experienced" not "experience"

Last edited by UniqueSoCal; 12-16-2011 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Typo in the title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:19 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,944,779 times
Get one of those white noise machines. I just ordered one off Amazon.

The "Marpac SleepMate 980A Electro-Mechanical Sound Conditioner" is the one I got. It arrives tomorrow.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:48 PM

29 posts, read 184,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Get one of those white noise machines. I just ordered one off Amazon.

The "Marpac SleepMate 980A Electro-Mechanical Sound Conditioner" is the one I got. It arrives tomorrow.
Thanks! I'll check that out. Would a white noise machine disturb my neighbors at all?

Old 12-16-2011, 09:17 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,944,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueSoCal View Post
Thanks! I'll check that out. Would a white noise machine disturb my neighbors at all?
I don't know. I did think about that too but I didn't see anyone complain about it in the reviews. I can hear my neighbour hacking up in the mornings and it really pisses me off so I had to get this. I don't think it will be noisy though. The whole point of it is to block out noise.

Last edited by Miss Pip; 12-16-2011 at 09:58 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 PM

75 posts, read 205,052 times
The best fool-proof thing to do if yer living in an apt with thin walls is to get you one of those portable fans. Then, turn it on before going to sleep. It blocks out all the noise around you with a nice, steady hum.

No neighbors disturbed & no sleep disturbed.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:19 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
The bane of high density living....through the wall noise! A fan or white noise machine will help you and will not disturbe your neighbors. I'd like to say the the newer complexes are built better but I know people who complain about them as well. Sometimes old, I mean really old, places are built like rocks. I don't know how you can know this before moving in however. Best bet...be on the top floor, corner unit. The fewer walls you share the better.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:04 AM

313 posts, read 778,367 times
I sleep near the front to my complex. Every day someone with high heels clops along the tile in the hallway at 7:30 am. Its a nice alarm actually but every morning I let out a loud fart when I hear it. I imagine they can hear it too so I hope they remember me as the farter.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:59 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
Thin walls in apartment buildings go with the territory, I'm afraid. At my last complex, we could hear the guy below us cough or sneeze! Even now I can hear the neighbor above if he has his radio on. I have a fan to drown out the noise; you just have to make sure the fan itself is noisy enough!

Be grateful you have considerate neighbors! I'm fortunate to have one now, living above me, but that wasn't the case at my last apartment. At least you're only trying to drown out the sounds of normal living, not people who are obviously using their apartment as a bowling alley or kick-boxing practice space right over your head!

Sometimes my neighbor will blast his stereo while he's vacuuming, so I can't nap. It's during the mid-afternoon, though, so I can't exactly complain! Besides, after what I lived with before (the manager on the other side of our living room wall screaming at his family constantly), this is nothing! I just hope my neighbor never moves!

Old 12-18-2011, 03:08 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Best bet...be on the top floor, corner unit.
But be sure the roof is in good condition if you want to stay dry.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,077,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Best bet...be on the top floor, corner unit. The fewer walls you share the better.
True, but then you'll hear the guy next door when he throws his trash in the dumpster.

I think the solution is to make a decision to be ok with it and know that in time you won't notice it anymore. I lived in several places in LA and heard all kinds of noise. The only one I couldn't get used to was a couple who argued all the time. Oh, and being near a high school--that's one thing I've learned to avoid. I finally had to move away from that place because it was always so noisy. But you get used to other noises like snoring, traffic, a washing machine that was in a spot where it echoed very noisily, planes (that was when I lived in El Segundo), etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles