Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 06:37 PM

636 posts, read 2,638,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I've noticed that at Fairfax. People buy something to eat, then they sit and talk forever.
Yeah, looks real relaxing and communal -sitting and talking over food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 07:50 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,506,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
Hi all,

Getting ready for my next adventure....and I am DYING to go to one of the bigger farmer's markets. So I googled it....Grand Central Square in LA and the one in Santa Monica seem nice...which is better? Or is there another really cool market to go to that I don't know about? Looking for good deals...looking for recao leaves for my Puerto Rican sweetie...and looking for some good sights also. Any recommendations or should I make an effort to do both?
My mom and dad took me to both the LA Central Market and the Central Market on Fairfax in the mid 1960s. They are both worth visiting - especially if you like good food!

I remember the old Angels Flight near the LA Central Market. I think I remember cruising around Bunker Hill back in the mid 1970s.

The Fairfax Farmers Market has not changed since the 1960s. The paint, the chairs, the ambiance, the signs, the fonts, the ceilings, the walkways, and the aromas have not changed. We were there a couple of months ago. Traveled up Fairfax through Little Eithiopia from the 10. I was with my mom who is 84 and slow walking and my wife and three little girls so I really couldn't walk around and relax.

If you go to the Fairfax Farmers Market you can also enjoy the Grove shopping center...sort of a Disneyland fun place to hang out and eat ice cream. Our kids loved the double decker trolley.

The Hollywood Stars Pacific Coast League AAA baseball team used to play in the neighborhood at Gilmore Field (gone now) - about where the Grove is now.

If you are in the area, I strongly urge you to spend at least two hours in the Petersen Automobile Museum. It is on the southeast corner of Fairfax and Wilshire.

Another fun place to walk around is the Melrose neighborhood. Great place to walk around, browse, and nibble.

All of these places I mentioned are in walking distance of each other.

Great places for an afternoon date.

Last edited by Charles; 09-01-2007 at 08:15 PM..

Old 09-02-2007, 01:12 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,616,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
Another difference.... at the Fairfax market lots of people a sitting around, chatting. And Grand Central market people primarily buy their stuff and leave.
might have something to do with the cost of parking downtown...

Old 02-05-2009, 02:01 PM

115 posts, read 326,266 times
Are any of these farmer's markets accessible by rail?

Old 02-05-2009, 02:31 PM

65 posts, read 245,375 times
Montrose! THey have pony rides and everything. Every Sunday untill 2:00 pm. It's not and official state of CA market, so they have less restictions....they have hot food, as I said, a petting zoo (for a charge) and lots of cool stuff.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:06 PM

225 posts, read 1,088,631 times
The OP mentioned some Puerto Rican food I have never heard of. Whatever it is, you are probably more likely to find it in Grand Central market. Most of the people who shop and eat there are Latino (though not Puerto Rican, of course). The market next to the Grove doesn't sell much in the way of groceries. The Santa Monica market is for wealthy foodies.

If you to Grand Central, check out the interior of the Bradbury building, across the street.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:57 PM

5 posts, read 10,692 times
I would have to say the Farmers Market at Fairfax and 3rd is by far the best! If you're looking for a farmers market which shuts down the street weekly, I am a big fan of the one in Larchmont Village.

Enjoy all of em on your hunt!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:18 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
Hi all,

Getting ready for my next adventure....and I am DYING to go to one of the bigger farmer's markets. So I googled it....Grand Central Square in LA and the one in Santa Monica seem nice...which is better? Or is there another really cool market to go to that I don't know about? Looking for good deals...looking for recao leaves for my Puerto Rican sweetie...and looking for some good sights also. Any recommendations or should I make an effort to do both?
wow, I haven't read what others have said, but being born and raised in L.A. (gone many years) Grand central is like going home. They may not be quite in the same location but have been in L.A. for probably 75 years. My parents went there in the 30s because they could not afford anything else, mom and i made a weekly trip there in the 40s and 50s plus going to a meat market in China Town every week, not because we couldn't afford anything else by then, but because of the selection and freshness. Then in the 70s I would go for the same reasons.

Now that I read all the responses it looks like the market is still in the same location.

Nita

Old 02-06-2009, 04:57 AM

635 posts, read 1,682,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I haven't lived in L. A. since '75 and my vote is for the market I went to as a kid on Fairfax.
This is one of my favs also

Old 02-06-2009, 08:59 PM

422 posts, read 1,814,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
many of farmers' markets are groups of traveling peddlers that set up tents on a city block reserved for this purpose once a week: hollywood on monday
Hollywood is on Sunday, no? The one I've been to at Hollywood & Vine has been on Sunday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles