Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:04 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times

Advertisements

Living in the East (Boston/New York), I would hear about LA but would never give it a second thought. During my visits to the city I wasn't really impressed and was actually a little disappointed with what I saw. I once turned down a job offer there because I wasn't into the city. I have heard all the negatives about the city, but I would like to hear from those who love the place. Give me the attributes, uniqueness and the things that make it a great city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 01:24 AM

646 posts, read 1,156,942 times
I lived in L.A. for many, many years. The thing is, when people say they "visited L.A.", they often don't say exactly where they went. Were you in downtown L.A.? The Valley? Beverly Hills? Malibu? Compton? Or, which of the hundreds of different areas did you visit? My point is simply that your experience will differ dramatically depending on where you go.

Just like if someone were to visit New York ... the different areas and boroughs give very different experiences. The poorer areas will differ from, say, a visit to the Governor's mansion.

Without knowing where you went, it's hard for anyone to respond.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:01 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
The weather in L.A. is much better than in the Boston & NY areas.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:47 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times
I've lived in Boston, and visited NYC almost twice a month, taking the Chinatown bus. You know which bus I'm talking about, Lol.

Boston is gorgeous. I haven't seen San Francsico yet but Boston is the prettiest city in America to me.

NYC is the awe striking city with am assault on the senses kind of feel to it. It's big noisy and grimy to the core. I love NYC.

But LA is the most dynamic, eclectic and vibrant city I have ever seen. And I've been to Miami, Paris, Monaco, Spain. It actually reminds me a bit of Barcelona.

It's laid back. It's pretty, it's ugly, it's super urban, then filled with nature. I mean its everything and anything you want.

Some parts you feel like you're in NYC. Some you feel like you're in the South of France or Florida. Go to Catalina Island and you'll feel like you're in the deep south pacific.

But you have to explore the town. I think most people who visit and initially shocked because they picture this ultra glamorous city and only pockets of it are like that. The rest of the town is a retro throwback. I have yet to meet one person that loves LA and I mean all of LA upon first visit. They complain about how dirty Hollywood is, how only Santa Monica is beautiful, how "ghetto" some of the neighborhoods are.

I don't blame them because like myself I lived in a city where the nice and glamorous areas weren't just in the nicest richest parts of town and everyone else was left with luxury leftovers from the 80s. So LA is different in that regard.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:51 PM

37 posts, read 84,572 times
Wonderful weather.
Diverse People.
Access to beach or mountains in multiple directions.
Amazing restaurants...
Wide array of events

All around Great place to Be !!

Old 07-15-2012, 05:39 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
People who visit LA underestimate how much preparation needs to be done before their trip. As opposed to other cities like NY, Boston, and Chicago where you could probably just show up, get a hotel in a central area, and walk around for hours without any real destinations in mind, LA requires that you know where you want to go each day (and how you'll get there). It's definitely tougher on the tourist.

But once you do your homework, you can have a great time. You could easily do a mountain hike, the beach, a museum, a fancy restaurant, and trendy bar all in the same day (in various parts of the city/region). People don't do enough homework before visiting (and even before moving here).

It gets annoying when visitors don't take full advantage of the area when they're here....and then we hear complaints.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:56 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilKenes View Post
Wonderful weather.
Diverse People.
Access to beach or mountains in multiple directions.
Amazing restaurants...
Wide array of events

All around Great place to Be !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
People who visit LA underestimate how much preparation needs to be done before their trip. As opposed to other cities like NY, Boston, and Chicago where you could probably just show up, get a hotel in a central area, and walk around for hours without any real destinations in mind, LA requires that you know where you want to go each day (and how you'll get there). It's definitely tougher on the tourist.

But once you do your homework, you can have a great time. You could easily do a mountain hike, the beach, a museum, a fancy restaurant, and trendy bar all in the same day (in various parts of the city/region). People don't do enough homework before visiting (and even before moving here).

It gets annoying when visitors don't take full advantage of the area when they're here....and then we hear complaints.
These two posts sum it up pretty nicely. As New York City residents who have spent 3 summers in L.A., we quickly realized two things:
1) The mind boggling array and variety of activities and sites to choose from. Three visits and still finding new things and learning more about places we've been to.
2) Preparation is essential. Do your homework, study your maps, and do some planning and you will have a ball.

And, of course, as always, the unbelievably beautiful weather!!!!! Beats any East Coast city hands down every time.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:00 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeV View Post
I lived in L.A. for many, many years. The thing is, when people say they "visited L.A.", they often don't say exactly where they went. Were you in downtown L.A.? The Valley? Beverly Hills? Malibu? Compton? Or, which of the hundreds of different areas did you visit? My point is simply that your experience will differ dramatically depending on where you go.

Just like if someone were to visit New York ... the different areas and boroughs give very different experiences. The poorer areas will differ from, say, a visit to the Governor's mansion.

Without knowing where you went, it's hard for anyone to respond.
DianeV, the reason for this post (which I forgot to mention!) is that my feelings toward the place have slowly begun to change over the years. I am aware of the traffic issues, crowding, etc, but I experienced that when I lived in NY and Boston! My family and I recently visited California and spent time in Santa Monica (loved it!), Laguna and Newport Beach. I have not explored all of LA and admit that I may be ignorant to all the city has to offer. However, I find myself being drawn to it more and more. I am aware that Laguna and Newport are not LA.

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 07-16-2012 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-16-2012, 06:49 PM

646 posts, read 1,156,942 times
Well, you might be surprised at how many areas are considered to be "L.A." -- and how many are within Los Angeles County.

Regardless, I hope you find a good place for you, or a good place for you to enjoy, wherever that might be.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:29 PM

4 posts, read 3,734 times
Weather, beautiful tropical greenery, diversity, yummy food trucks, museums and cultural events, if you are bored, you are doing something wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles