Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 04:39 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troof View Post
Dude if you find a place and the deal breaker is the initial cleaning, Maggy Maid will clean the living Moderator cut: language out of a place for like $300... well worth the upfront cost given your dire situation.
The guys hanging around in front of Home Depot or Lowe's will do it for way cheaper than that. Or their wives/cousins/kids will.

Last edited by Count David; 03-15-2012 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Yes, because it makes perfect sense for a woman living by herself to go pick up day laborers off the street to clean an apartment that should already be in pristine, move-in condition!

Why should she have to do the job that the owner should be doing? That's a huge red flag as to how any maintenance issues would be handled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The guys hanging around in front of Home Depot or Lowe's will do it for way cheaper than that. Or their wives/cousins/kids will.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:38 PM

You're becoming repetitive; are you sure this post isn't a "cry for attention"?

While I do understand that this thread is now eighteen pages long, and some good ideas have come up, to criticize the OP because she hasn't been able to move yet is not a good plan. This falls under the heading of "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

CalGuy, I dare you to go out this weekend and find a nice apartment in Pasadena for a decent price. By "decent", I mean less than $1,500 for a two-bedroom. The apartment should already be in pristine condition, the grounds should be well maintained, there should be at least one assigned parking space, a clean laundry room, and be on the top floor with a reasonable amount of square footage, with central air. If the previous tenants lived there longer than three years, the carpet should have been replaced, not just cleaned. Honestly, I don't think this expectation is too picky at all. It's a sad commentary on the L.A. rental market that it's almost impossible to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
"Dire situation"?
I hardly think so at this point.
After 17 pages of advice, she still hasn't solved the problem of moving?
Why do I get the feeling this is a cry for attention?
Bob.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:42 PM

How many of the "tons of apartments" are in good areas, and are actually in well maintained buildings with responsive management? I'd guess there aren't too many, especially below a certain price (extortion, anyone?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
LA has a TON of apartments for rent

Old 03-14-2012, 08:00 PM

369 posts, read 557,970 times
Thanks, SandyCo. You totally get it!

CalGuy, you went from being nice to being downright rude and making assumptions about things you know nothing about. Since you can't contribute anything helpful, don't contribute AT all.

Those of you thinking that I should pay a few hundred dollars to clean a filthy apartment that SHOULD already be cleaned before renting are the ones who make slumlords possible.

The rest of you who have been kind and offered alternatives, I'm reading and taking note while trying to find a reasonable place to move to. The rental market for something decent is fairly brutal right now.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:03 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
Hi people.

I've been living in my current apartment for 10 years and I love it here. I love the area, my place, everything. I had an upstairs neighbor the entire time I've been here who was awesome, quiet, and respectful but sadly, he recently moved out. In his place (it's a 1-bedroom apt), has moved in this noisy, obnoxious, LOUD family of 3 - I didn't know that was allowed in a 1-bedroom - and I haven't been able to sleep or have peace of mind for THREE months. I'm losing my mind!

First of all, they have a 6-years old kid who is always, always, ALWAYS crying or screaming or WAILING. I have worked with kids before and this behavior is not normal (and I've seen the kid out/about and he seems otherwise normal). In fact, I'm getting worried it's something they're doing...but, that's another discussion. Needless to say, this kid screams and cries, and jumps up/down, and then when the mom gets annoyed with him (she's a real wench!), she starts screaming back at this kid...so then they have a screaming match!

Both their and my apartment faces an internal courtyard, so sound echoes, especially if you leave the balcony doors open - which they insist on doing, while all this noise goes on. You can just imagine the noise that goes on.

On top of that, they walk like they are keeping herds of elephants up there...thump, thump, thump! ALL hours of day/night! The husband works, the wife is an at-home mom, and the kid...I'm not sure why he isn't in school, but he should be. And no one seems to sleep up there! They're always walking around all hours of day/night, all the time! There's never ONE hour of peace where these people aren't around. There's always someone up there stomping, thumping, screaming, banging, yelling, jumping, etc....

Anyway, when they first moved in 3 months ago, they made so much noise moving in for DAYS, that I finally had to call management and be like, "This noise has been going on for 14 hours from these people; they need to cut it out!" She told me to go talk to them, which I think is a rotten idea, because if things don't go well, then you have a hostile neighboring environment...but management sucks.

But I did anyway. I went upstairs, introduced myself nicely and told them I'm their downstairs neighbor and could they please try to keep the noise down. The woman was totally rude and entitled in her attitude and blamed the movers - at this point it was 3 days post-move, and 8 p.m. I asked if the movers were there at that very moment and she was like, "Um...well, no, not now, before". Yet all this thumping and jumping and banging for HOURS? Really?? Anyway, I asked if they could try to keep it down, and she said, "Okay" and SLAMMED the door.

And the noise continued the next day into the next...

I called management again and told them what happened, and they - being lazy - said there is not much they can do. Now they know I have been living here for 10 years, am an awesome tenant, never ONCE had a trouble with neighbors and all our other neighbors are quiet...so WTF??!!

So I've been trying to get used to the sounds, have bought a white noise machine, and am wearing earplugs at night to sleep (and I can still hear them stomping around)...and now my ears are hurting, and I'm always tired, and not getting enough rest/peace and quiet, and it's affecting my life, health, work...and I don't know what to do??

I've even looked around to MOVE, even though it's completely a horrible time for me to up and move, esp. after all these years and the cost of things right now, but I'm desperate for some QUIET time!

I can say with certainty...I HATE these neighbors!! But I need help to figure out how to handle them/management and still be able to live in my home in peace/quiet. And what is UP with this kid crying ALL the friggin' time?!!

Is there anyone with experience/expertise who can help??

Thanks!
I went through the same exact thing, and unfortunately you have no choice but to move. I went though constant hell with my neighbor above me for a whole year, and I eventually got him evicted when I called the police on him when he had a party up there one night and they caught them all smoking marijuana. You would think that would be the end of it, but then they moved in even worse neighbors that were partying above me every night. I was paying $365 a month and that included water, trash, sewer, expanded cable, internet AND telephone. Obviously, I could not find anywhere near that price. I did find a new place that I moved into February 1st that is $200 more a month. I am much happier here even with the additional expense. This place has concrete walls, and even know I am on the first floor, it is peaceful and quiet.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:59 PM

362 posts, read 817,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

CalGuy, I dare you to go out this weekend and find a nice apartment in Pasadena for a decent price. By "decent", I mean less than $1,500 for a two-bedroom. The apartment should already be in pristine condition, the grounds should be well maintained, there should be at least one assigned parking space, a clean laundry room, and be on the top floor with a reasonable amount of square footage, with central air. If the previous tenants lived there longer than three years, the carpet should have been replaced, not just cleaned. Honestly, I don't think this expectation is too picky at all. It's a sad commentary on the L.A. rental market that it's almost impossible to find.
I'm not CalGuy, but to take you up on your challenge... About 9 months ago, I was super close to moving from my spot in Silverlake and looking in Pasadena... I found a duplex (with no common wall) in Pasadena near Del Mar & Lake. 2 BR, $1300/month, private garage, walking distance to all that stuff on Lake, AC, about 1100-1200 sq ft, and the owner was cool as heck... But I ended up staying at my current spot. Though Holiwood would've likely passed on it because it had ugly maroon carpet, not dirty, just f'ugly.

Here, check this one Holi...
big 2 bed house for rent with yard in pasadena (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2899575833.html - broken link)

There's some other 2BR houses on Westside Rentals in Pas for under $1500 as well.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I'm not CalGuy, but to take you up on your challenge... About 9 months ago, I was super close to moving from my spot in Silverlake and looking in Pasadena... I found a duplex (with no common wall) in Pasadena near Del Mar & Lake. 2 BR, $1300/month, private garage, walking distance to all that stuff on Lake, AC, about 1100-1200 sq ft, and the owner was cool as heck... But I ended up staying at my current spot. Though Holiwood would've likely passed on it because it had ugly maroon carpet, not dirty, just f'ugly.

big 2 bed house for rent with yard in pasadena (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2899575833.html - broken link)

There's some other 2BR houses on Westside Rentals in Pas for under $1500 as well.
Thanks, Troof. I have seen that place, but it's north of the 210 and crime rate is high. Believe me, if it weren't for that....but thank you for trying.

I'm still looking, every day. Something will hopefully work out soon.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:

Looks like a nice place, but damn, they sure can't spell.
From the ad:
big 2 bed room with 2 story veary big evary thing is new it come with stove and refarageater
and 2 parking spot
the address is 37 yale street pasadena ca 91103

What the hell is a refarageater?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Looks like a nice place, but damn, they sure can't spell.
From the ad:
big 2 bed room with 2 story veary big evary thing is new it come with stove and refarageater
and 2 parking spot
the address is 37 yale street pasadena ca 91103

What the hell is a refarageater?
It's a diet-friendly invention that eats your food FOR you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles