U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 PM

5,021 posts, read 9,578,915 times
This doesn't surprise me in the least. At my old building, the management company (and owners) couldn't have cared less. All they saw were dollar signs. A few years earlier, they began renting to Section 8 people. I'm not prejudiced against Section 8 people in general - just the ones who moved into my building! When I was looking for a new place, that was one of the first questions I asked.

It's funny, too, that I'm in a building that isn't under rent control, but I've lived here for two and a half years and my rent is the same as it was the day I moved in!

HoliWood, I wish you luck in finding something. I started keeping notes since it seemed that the same ads would run on Craigslist week after week. I know it's easy to get discouraged, but just think - you only need that one perfect apartment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
UPDATE: Management is not going to do anything about the noise. So I will have to keep looking for a new place. *sad face*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 09:22 PM

157 posts, read 113,582 times
I swear, I think complaining to management again about these people has made them worse! Tonight, they have their phone ringer extra loud and I can not only hear it ring (every 5 minutes), but can also hear them talking on it. HOW is it possible that all these years, I never heard my previous upstairs neighbor do anything (except shower and walk, on occasion) and now I can hear EVERYTHING these people do?!

Also, I have not heard back from the actual management office about the letter I sent them. Should I call them tomorrow? There should be some communication, as I asked for one in writing.

I hate my neighbors. Hate. And I don't hate easily.

@luckodeirish - These people won't/can't bail as they have a 1-year lease (only 3 months into, God help me!), and they won't break it, trust me. This is probably the nicest place they have ever lived, which is why there are 3 of them crammed in a 1-bedroom up there. I mentioned the number of people to the manager, because this building has always been good about renting the place to young professionals, or families with 1-2 over 13+ children in bigger units (so no crying babies all these years). But I dunno if they're now just greedy or what, but it seems they will rent to just anyone now, which is clearly affecting the building. And the manager said 3 people is apparently "within the law" for the number of occupants in a 1-bedroom. I think the kid is sleeps in the dining room, cuz I can hear the mom thump across the apartment in the middle of the night and then hear the kid talking to her in what is my dining room area (theirs, too). They can't be poor; they drive a BMW, so what gives?

I feel mean saying this stuff about the neighbors (even though it's true), but when you haven't had peace of mind, quiet, or much sleep for THREE months, empathy kind of goes out the door.

Last edited by HoliWood; 01-05-2012 at 09:43 PM..

Old 01-05-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
This doesn't surprise me in the least. At my old building, the management company (and owners) couldn't have cared less. All they saw were dollar signs. A few years earlier, they began renting to Section 8 people. I'm not prejudiced against Section 8 people in general - just the ones who moved into my building! When I was looking for a new place, that was one of the first questions I asked.
I find this hilarious...and true, sadly.
Quote:
It's funny, too, that I'm in a building that isn't under rent control, but I've lived here for two and a half years and my rent is the same as it was the day I moved in!
When I first moved into my current place, the management raised the rent every year for the first 5 years, I think - there's no rent control in Pasadena. Today, I was skimming their website for other vacancies (which I found, but it would cost me $400 more; it's a bigger unit, but that's a huge jump in rent; it's a mortgage!). So I called the temporary manager (they just let go of the resident manager and this temp one is so ditzy!), and asked if she knew of any units coming up for rent and she said possibly but she can't tell me about them until they're listed to the public, "to be fair". Hello? Whatever. I asked her if she had any coming up in her building (she is the resident manager for one a couple of buildings down) and she said, "There may" (helpful) and I asked if she could tell me how much those go for currently, and can you believe she told me she doesn't know? Excuse you? You collect the monthly rents, I know you know how much your tenants are paying! Such a dumb liar!

Her advice after this useless convo was to "keep your eyes open" for vacancy signs. REALLY? What a genius.

Quote:
HoliWood, I wish you luck in finding something. I started keeping notes since it seemed that the same ads would run on Craigslist week after week. I know it's easy to get discouraged, but just think - you only need that one perfect apartment!
Thanks, SandyCo. What kind of notes were you keeping? I actually have the craigslist rental page open as a tab on my laptop. I keep hitting refresh all day and call any and all potential listings. Today I called one nearby - turns out its ground floor, no thanks - but the funny thing is that when the owner answered, she sounded kind of hesitant/surprised, like, "Helllo....?" It suddenly dawned on me that she may have JUST listed her place and I jumped on it. So I laughed and asked if that was the case and she laughed and said, "I DID! I hit List and my phone rang and it was you!" LOL! I'm gonna be known in this area as the woman who wants a, b, c and calls all these listings - I mean, there are only so many buildings around here!

The frustrating thing is, every time I think I've found JUST the place, something is off: GREAT place, horrible neighborhood; GREAT neighborhood, horrible place; GREAT place AND neighborhood, but no central a/c; GREAT place, neighborhood, top floor, AND central a/c, but only street parking and noisy neighbors. C'mon! When I was looking for a place years ago, I saw a couple of places and then found my current one and I just KNEW this was IT. I haven't felt that about any places so far, and I've seen quite a few places...

Three months of looking....somebody give me what I want! You understand now why I hate the upstairs neighbors even more now, right?

Old 01-05-2012, 10:01 PM

274 posts, read 577,035 times
Default Noise!!

The management company should be trying to resolve the issue!

If in fact the new neighbors are noisy as you say then this is unaccepatable.

You have been there for 10 years, so if the value you as a renter then they need to do something about it.

If they do nothing you have no other choice but to find another place and move out!

Good luck~

Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyNola View Post
The management company should be trying to resolve the issue!

If in fact the new neighbors are noisy as you say then this is unaccepatable.

You have been there for 10 years, so if the value you as a renter then they need to do something about it.

If they do nothing you have no other choice but to find another place and move out!

Good luck~
I agree with you, but I think they are too greedy and would not care if I moved out, because they could raise the rent and get even more money out of it. My area is popular so the place won't be on the market long at all.

Yep, looking for another place.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:19 PM

NOW I see why @SandyCo mentioned taking notes with apartments - seems I've called a couple of places already and didn't realize!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:46 PM

477 posts, read 580,122 times
Holiwood,

You have tried to be civil, you have tried to be professional and follow protocol however no other party, the neighbor, the owner, the management co is acting professional or cooperating.

You need to ask yourself this. Do you want them to move out or do you want these lowlifes to drive you out of your home of 10 years and your community..your life.

Get Tough and Get Creative.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
Holiwood,

You have tried to be civil, you have tried to be professional and follow protocol however no other party, the neighbor, the owner, the management co is acting professional or cooperating.

You need to ask yourself this. Do you want them to move out or do you want these lowlifes to drive you out of your home of 10 years and your community..your life.

Get Tough and Get Creative.
Thanks, Gregg, but I can't think what I could do..maybe you can DM me some suggestions.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:12 PM

7,953 posts, read 6,060,202 times
I like the bar-b-que idea, people that develop an affinity for someone usually shows a bit more consideration. Or, is there a different apartment in the same complex? The thing is, as you already said it....the known is sometimes better than the unknown. Why haven't you bought? Good luck, hope things get better.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:48 PM

7,953 posts, read 6,060,202 times
Here is my opinion on who you should call if you are concerned for the child's welfare. You call child protective services.
The police may or may not have to report your complaint, depends on what they find. However, most social service agencies are mandated to follow up, and depending what type situation have on a continuum, iw/in 24hrs, to w/in 72 hours. So within at least possibly 3 days someone would be following up. Now it is my understanding that these calls remain anonymous. But, if something is wrong, which from your description could very well be, a complaint could resolve the crying. Maybe Mom needs to have child education course, maybe there have been complaints before....Maybe she has been warned before, who knows....
I know you are concerned, and w/out knowing more, it does sound suspicious that a child of school age is not in school...Unless he is home schooled? Some states consider it abusive to scream at your child. There could be many other scenarios that are applicable, but if I were concerned I would call the child protective services, maybe tape record it and call. Anyway, 6 yr olds do not cry constantly imo, even if they are spoiled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles