U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:15 AM

15,989 posts, read 37,020,955 times

Advertisements

With 1.3 million Asians in Los Angeles...it's making me more interested in L.A. and its ethnic communities.

I drove through there a year or so ago, and explored some of the Korean ones, Vietnamese ones, and Cambodian one (they were all very strip mallish - but interesting nontheless).

Are most of them spread out and strip-mallish? Any interesting ones...and anyone been to or had much experience with any of these facts. I'm pretty curious about all these different communities in Los Angeles.

Quote:
Los Angeles hosts the largest populations of Cambodians, Iranians, Armenians, Belizeans, Bulgarians, Ethiopians, Filipinos, Guatemalans, Hungarians, Koreans, Israelis, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Thais, and Pacific Islanders such as Samoans in both the U.S. and world outside of their respective countries. Los Angeles is also home to the largest populations of Japanese living in the United States, and has one of the largest Native American populations in the country. The metropolitan area also is home to the second largest concentration of people of Jewish descent (estimated at 621,000)[41] in the Americas, after New York City. Los Angeles also has the second largest Nicaraguan community in the US after Miami
Quote:
Ethnic enclaves like Chinatown, Historic Filipinotown, Koreatown, Little Armenia, Little Ethiopia, Little Persia, Little India, Little Tokyo, and Thai Town provide examples of the polyglot character of Los Angeles.
I also saw that Monterey Park is one of the highest Asian percentage cities in North America - 62%. Among other areas of Los Angeles/OC...what are they like...are they suburban stripmallish or ghetto or kinda cool or what?

Also curious if anyone has been to those 'ethnic enclaves' like Little Armenia, Little Ethiopia, Little Persia, Little India, Little Tokyo, or Thai Town and what they were like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 02:09 PM

2,572 posts, read 7,846,176 times
i pass through little ethiopia regularly. the commercial center is a three or four block stretch of shops and restaurants of fairfax avenue, just south of miracle mile/museum row.

there is a small concentration of indian establishments on pico blvd. just down the street from little ethiopia. it's just handful of video stores that specialize in bollywood films and shops that sell saris, and i don't recall noticing even a single indian restaurant there, so perhaps the "real" little india is someplace else.

little tokyo is downtown. i'm not sure if there is a predominantly japanese residential area nearby, as i am only slightly familiar with the area. i've dined at a few restaurants there, but always with others who knew where they were going. ditto for chinatown, which is also located downtown LA. i think people do live in chinatown, but it isn't as vast as san francisco's chinese enclave.

all i know about little armenia and thai town is that they are in parts of hollywood or its outskirts that i generally avoid. word has it that the food in thai town is very good, but i wouldn't know.

i don't know of an area called little persia, but beverly hills has a substantial persian community, and the current mayor is of persian descent.

hope that helps.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:11 PM

225 posts, read 1,018,665 times
I also saw that Monterey Park is one of the highest Asian percentage cities in North America - 62%. Among other areas of Los Angeles/OC...what are they like...are they suburban stripmallish or ghetto or kinda cool or what?

Also curious if anyone has been to those 'ethnic enclaves' like Little Armenia, Little Ethiopia, Little Persia, Little India, Little Tokyo, or Thai Town and what they were like?[/quote]

----------

Monterey Park is a mostly but not entirely middle-class Chinese suburb. Little Ethiopia is little more than a strip of shops and restaurants on Fairfax. I doubt any Ethiopians actually live around there. I don't know about Little Persia but I think it's in Orange County. Little India is in Artesia, which, along with surrounding Cerritos, has some good cheap restaurants and jewellery shops. Little Tokyo is worthwhile, with an interesting history. Little Armenia and Thai Town overlap slightly. Thai Town is more appealing, with some cheap cafes serving alarmingly spicy food. There is also a Historic Filipinotown but that is not up to much (Filipino cuisine is home-based so there is not much in the way of restaurants).

With the partial exception of Monterey Park and Little Armenia, all these areas represent concentrations of a particular group; they aren't dominated by that group. People come to ethnic towns to shop and go to church services but they are unlikely to live there. The only true ethnic enclaves in LA aren't identified as such: East LA, which is almost entirely Latino, and beach communities like Malibu and Palos Verdes, which are almost entirely white.

If you're really into the food post a query on Chowhound and you will be deluged with extremely strong opinions.

Last edited by straight outta camden; 09-02-2007 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: format

Old 09-02-2007, 05:14 PM

67,416 posts, read 16,585,969 times
I am Chinese,live in Monterey Park.Been living here off and on for 20 years. It's called Little Taipei,Used to be a lot of immigrants from Taiwa, Now a lot of them are in Walnut,Rowland Heights,Hacienda Heights,Arcadia,San Marino.
Monterey Park has a lot of older Japanese that live on the Hills;there are 3 hills in Monterey Park. A lot of Vietnamese,Cambodians,China have moved in.
Very busy city. Very clean.There are four projects in progress
Welcome to the City of Monterey Park - Redevelopment (http://www.ci.monterey-park.ca.us/home/index.asp?page=277 - broken link)
There are real authentic Chinese restaurants,shops,lots of banks,parks.
There is also Alhambra,San Gabriel,Rosemead,Temple City.with lots of Asians

Old 09-02-2007, 06:17 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,329,450 times
Why do these posts make me hungry?

Other than leaving our parents, and not swimming outdoors 52 weeks a year, the ethnic food selection/variety of SoCal is the biggest thing we miss. (We have to drive 19 miles to central COS or 28 miles to Parker just to get Thai food.) Either way it's an extra hour of baby sitting fees.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:31 PM

67,416 posts, read 16,585,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why do these posts make me hungry?

Other than leaving our parents, and not swimming outdoors 52 weeks a year, the ethnic food selection/variety of SoCal is the biggest thing we miss. (We have to drive 19 miles to central COS or 28 miles to Parker just to get Thai food.) Either way it's an extra hour of baby sitting fees.
Come this way! so much to do!

Old 09-02-2007, 06:31 PM

634 posts, read 2,621,597 times
somebody please shoot me.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:40 PM

25,739 posts, read 26,089,304 times
I don't know...but I am relieved to finally see someone spell "its" correctly.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:06 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,494,247 times
Monterey Park and san gabriel are chinatowns

Where is the koreatown and when did that develop. I remember going to LA in 1997/1998 and never heard of one

In fact there were no korean enclaves in the NY metro area at that time either

Old 09-02-2007, 07:36 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,545,987 times
Little Armenia is in Hollywood and, as someone earlier mentioned, overlaps with Thai Town. I know there is a big Armenian church in that area but it seems to me that more Armenians live in Glendale, along with a lot of Russians, etc. There are many Armenian restaurants, grocery stores, etc. in Glendale.

Koreatown is downtown near Western/Vermont and 8th Street. It is pretty big and I know that there are at least two nice malls in the area (Koreatown Galleria & ??? I don't know the name of the other one). There are many other Korean areas in LA though, because you can find large Korean grocery stores in other areas. (There is a big one in Northridge, another one in Reseda, another one in Glendale, etc.) You can always tell you are in a Korean grocery store when you find what I like to call "wall of Kimchi" (which is a refrigerated aisle with a gazillion varieties of kimchi).

Mexicans and Central Americans are all over! There are also a lot of Argentinian, Peruvian, and Brazilian restaurants in various places in San Fernando Valley, Glendale and Pasadena (and probably throughout the LA area).

Eating out in LA is really fun!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or