Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times

Advertisements

Location first, schools second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
So what gives?
It is charming, very diverse, somewhat upscale and the homes (overall) are filled with old time memories. The town has great restaurants, a delightful downtown area and is close to Los Angeles without being part of the city. I wouldn't want to have my kids in school in Pasadena I don't think, but other than that I can't think of too much bad to say about the city. Think beautiful, large homes and wonderful smaller ones, wide tree lined streets, The Rose Bowl, the Huntington Library, lovely old churches, the east and west combined and you get Pasadena.

Nita

Old 01-18-2012, 07:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
I don't think it's been mentioned yet but Pasadena is also home to one of the top private research universities in the world: Cal Tech. And that is no exaggeration.

California Institute of Technology
I was going to put Cal Tech on my list as well.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Location first, schools second.
Not when it comes to South Pasadena. Talk to any real estate agent (we did) and they'll tell you it's the schools that drive the housing prices in that particular city.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:04 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Pasadena has a small-town feel without the small-town close-mindedness.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:42 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Not when it comes to South Pasadena. Talk to any real estate agent (we did) and they'll tell you it's the schools that drive the housing prices in that particular city.
Actually its location first....its proximity as the closest "safe" suburb to DTLA. What puts it over the top in pricing is the schools....making it more expensive than nearby areas with subpar schools like Los Feliz, Eagle Rock, and Pasadena. But all those areas are expensive due to proximity.

Theres actually equally good schools in La Canada and Temple City both of which are less expensive and just as safe as South Pasadena. But South Pasadena is closer to Downtown.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:59 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
South Pasadena does not have much of a "location" advantage to Pasadena.

But we are arguing semantics. My point was that if Pasadena had very good schools, the home prices would look more like South Pasadena's (on a $/sq. foot basis). Pasadena actually has larger homes than South Pasadena, so there are probably more high-end $ homes in Pasadena than South Pas.

And La Canada is actually quite expensive, even though it's "way out there".

Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 AM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
So what gives?
Old money. It is a great town for the independently wealthy. But to those on the lower end trying to advance, it can be very discouraging.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:09 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,234 times
I would argue that most of Pasadena (except NW) is nicer than South Pasadena. A lot of the housing stock in South Pas is pretty run down, small houses, small lots, etc. Given equivalent schools, I would argue Pasadena would actually cost more than South Pasadena for equivalent sized house/lot/etc.

The reason we chose to settle in Pasadena after an east coast relocation is the proximity to LA, all the great food in the SGV, proximity to job centers (ex-WLA), the overall friendly people and livable cityscape, and the fact that it's cheaper than other places that we found equally desirable in the city of LA or on the westside.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 AM

401 posts, read 767,291 times
I agree with drshang when comparing South Pas and Pasadena. We are currently looking for a new home and can afford most anything in S.Pas, but are restricting our search to north San Marino and Pasadena for the reasons drshang mentioned. Additionally, in Pasadena it seems we are closer to major shopping, yet *feel* removed from it..

With respect to a good school district increasing property values... here are my thoughts. First, it's a chicken/egg thing. First, demographics are a major driver in a school's perceived efficacy. There have been instances where a fantastic school is able to overcome demographics, but this is rare...

The schools here would have to improve dramatically to have any effect on housing prices. We have Arcadia, La Canada, and San Marino all next door with high performing districts. Additionally, if PUSD improves, I think it would only improve the low to mid-range house values. Folks that live in, or would buy houses in the upper end of the market (say $1.2M and up) already make enough to send their kids to private school... so PUSD's performance is not a factor in a home purchase. If they could afford that much house, but were not able to go to private, I contend they'd choose one of the neighboring cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles