Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:12 PM

17 posts, read 122,403 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the great responses!

Ultrarunner - yes, ironically, compared to the UK and most of western Europe, rentals (as well as purchases) in CA are a bargain! Back in London we were paying the equivalent of $1,800 (excluding bills) for a 1 bed/1 bath old and in many ways dysfunctional apartment, but at least it was in a great area and location. The difference is that over there we both had jobs and a steady income (though not very lucrative), but right now I'm going with the assumption that our monthly income is going to be less than $3,500/month which is very restrictive in this part of So Cal.

David Aguilar - I define safety using a combination of data from city-data.com and neighborhoodscout.com, but even more than that, by driving around (and occasionally pulling over and walking around) areas we are considering, to get their "feel". Occasionally we even pull addresses of rentals from realtor.com and drive by to find the property, and in real life they really disappoint. So far it's been the case that most places that we've found online that are within budget, are - unfortunately - located in run-down or even downright unsafe neighborhoods.

JohnG72 - main source is realtor.com, although we do occasionally look on craiglist, mycheapapartmenrs.com and apartmenthunterz.com. Like I said above, it's not that there aren't any affordable places, but that they tend to be in neighborhoods that you wouldn't want to live in. You can't tell from the ad, but if you dropped by and saw where they were, you'd see what I mean. Right now we are trying to settle on an area (or two) to focus on, with the view to buying a place in that area or surrounding areas in a year or two. We do love South Pasadena (and Pasadena) but we aren't even looking there. Yes, we may be able to afford renting something there- how fortunate is that? - but for buying a starter family home/condo there in, say 2 years' time, with a budget of $300k or so, forget it! So then you'd have to downgrade instead of upgrading 'cause you couldn't afford anything in the area.

Just to clarify, I spoke of $1,800 max. including utilities, which is what makes it so restrictive. Like I said, we're trying to get a new business going and chances that we'll have a lot to spend for a couple of years are quite slim.

Thanks everyone! I'll keep all you said in mind and will look into the areas you've suggested.
We're also weighing our options and we may have to trade being closer to downtown for a better neighborhood and quality of life within budget much farther away (for example, some of the western cities in Ventura County which we love). Luckily we don't have to commute to downtown/LA County everyday (we are home-based, so our business is where home is), but driving there a few times per month to meet with vendors, buyers etc. I imagine is not going to be fun from that far away. I guess something's got to give, and in the end we'll have to decide which compromise will make us happier day-to-day.
In any case, we're not rushing into any decisions. The plan is to move within 2012, so we have a few months ahead to keep looking and considering options!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 07:54 AM

258 posts, read 614,701 times
With respect you & your Hubby sound like you can't afford live on the West Coast.

If U want to live in Kalifornia, then U must cough up the $ and pay the piper.

U could live easily, less hassles, save $, even buy a nice large home, then Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, NC or Florida.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
With respect you & your Hubby sound like you can't afford live on the West Coast.

If U want to live in Kalifornia, then U must cough up the $ and pay the piper.

U could live easily, less hassles, save $, even buy a nice large home, then Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, NC or Florida.
This sounds like an unfair judgement and makes me think that you didn't read all that I said in my previous posts, including what I said about compromising in my last post.

Obviously we didn't wake up one day and decided to move to California. My husband was born and raised here and this is where all his family is. I'm not a US-native, so I don't have any family here. This is where we could have housing without having to pay rent (because this relative offered for us to stay with her without rent - she lives by herself - for as long as we wanted, and she knew in advance that it would be months before we could move out). So it made perfect sense for us to come to California when we left the UK without jobs lined up here, but with a new business in the making, for which we've already spent a good chunck of our savings to set up.
Secondly, our business is fashion-related. There are two big fashion scenes here in the US, one is NYC and the other one is LA. Which means the vast majority of suppliers and contractors for the apparel industry are based in these two cities. There are a few newly emerging cities like Portland, Houston, Dallas, Denver etc. but the sort of resources that are available there are (at least not yet) not on par with the choice and the abundance of materials and suppliers you can find here, plus it's easier to shop around. Being in LA has made our business life 100 times easier, and I realize that every time I speak to people with similar businesses based on other states. They always repeat how lucky we are to be where we are, and I see why. Even though, California being California, is making us struggle with regulations and financial demands (we have to pay more than a doctor or a lawyer pays every year to renew our garment manufacturer's license!!!), which we wouldn't have to put up with in another state.

Thirdly, I spoke of $3,500 being the starting budget given that, realistically, we don't expect the business to take off from day one and we realize that progress may be slow in the beginning.

Finally, yes, actually we have considered (and still are) leaving CA for Texas or Florida. No state income tax, very cheap housing prices for spectacular homes etc. However, property taxes there run on par with (or more than) California property taxes, the cost of running the A/C almost 24/7 for up to 6 months/year, the astronomical cost of insurance because of the risk of hurricanes and other physical disasters, the much lower resale value of houses compared to California etc. etc. may actually not save as much as one expects. I've lurked around the Texas forums and a lot of people are saying exactly that. Specifically, they despise Californians who move there with the expectation to make a fortune and save a ton, but find that the truth is slightly different than that. Plus we'd be away from our main business suppliers, as well as some important potential buyers.
For all these reasons, even though we haven't completely ruled out other states, we've decided that, all things considered, it makes more sense right now to stay where we are.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 AM

258 posts, read 614,701 times
If U have to ask how much ... Then U can't afford it.

My advice: Live within your means ... something very few Amerikans do anymore.

Peace.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:12 PM

Hi Mr. Kurtz,
Even though I still get the impression that you get into conclusions without knowing the background of the situation, I will take your point for peace.
I also 100% agree with your advice and have done so my whole life. I've never before owned a credit card and have always liked to pay cash or through direct debit for things. Since I came here, I was advised that not owning a credit card is actually negative for my credit score (!!!) so I got one and use it on occasion, but always pay it off in full every time. I pretty much treat it as a debit card.
By the way I'm not American, but it doesn't matter. My husband is, and he's just like me - we both refuse to be in debt, and we have none right now and are happy about that!
If you read the last paragraph of my post #11, it's all about living within one's means, which is why I'm saying maybe LA County is not realistic for us, and we may have to start looking farther out at more affordable areas ;-)
And yes, if worse comes to worse, we will leave California for a cheaper state, but for all the reasons I explained above, it's neither an easy nor a straightforward decision. For now, we will do our best to stay in So Cal and I think with a bit of compromise we'll succeed :-)

Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troof View Post
Highland Park
Eagle Rock

If you are willing to go as far as Covina, then check:
San Gabriel
Alhambra
Monterey Park

They're much closer than Covina.

example...
GORGEOUS 2 br 2 bath townhouse style apartment******* (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/apa/2798411808.html - broken link)

Additionally, thinking south on the 110 from downtown, maybe Lakewood and Torrance...
Definitely agree with San Gabriel, Alhambra, Monterey Park.. I'd also add Rosemead to your list.. it's safety is on par with the better parts of Los Angeles proper but a lot cheaper, fairly close to Downtown, and plus lots of great Chinese food in the area!

Old 01-24-2012, 02:18 PM

68 posts, read 165,878 times
Sunland and Tujunga are very underrated IMO.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:08 AM

27 posts, read 35,009 times
Wasn't LA a bargain even in West LA right by Westwood Bl. and Santa Monica Bl. , next to West LA substation for only $375 a month for studio as recent as 1996? Oh my, how things have changed for the worst in spate of few years. Can't get that rate no more! Now, it's well over $1100. Alot of East Coast transplants from Brooklyn changed that, starting 1995.

Last edited by leg of lamb; 01-25-2012 at 02:09 AM.. Reason: left a word out

Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 PM

184 posts, read 353,511 times
Yeah that same studio must be over $1,000 now I am sure.., but a 3bedroom house was probably also under $350k and now is close to $1,000,000+ in West L.A!

Old 05-02-2012, 11:56 AM

460 posts, read 981,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leg of lamb View Post
Wasn't LA a bargain even in West LA right by Westwood Bl. and Santa Monica Bl. , next to West LA substation for only $375 a month for studio as recent as 1996? Oh my, how things have changed for the worst in spate of few years. Can't get that rate no more! Now, it's well over $1100. Alot of East Coast transplants from Brooklyn changed that, starting 1995.

Not much to complain about in SoCal. SF rentals for a 2bedroom/1bath are running for $3000 with basic amenities and decent commute to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles