Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,595 times

Advertisements

Or, does anyone know if there is any city/county that has such an ordinance?

I live in a townhouse that is built side by side to other homes. A lot of the community members are elderly, and they just love to get their fireplaces going even when it's not very cold.

I noticed that when they do that, my eyes water, throat and skin itches, and who knows what pollution I'm breathing in.

I found out from a friend that newer homes in California are prohibited to install a fireplace. This property was built way back in the 60s.

If LA is considering to ban cigarette smoke, it should also ban the use of fireplaces, it does equal or greater damage IMO.

People should learn to use modern source of heat such as from your central unit or even a wall furnace which emits less pollution, or upgrade the fireplace to natural gas if a fireplace is really necessary to use as a novelty.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 PM

276 posts, read 1,018,682 times
People enjoy a real wood buring fireplace!

I am sorry for your eyes watering, but those neighbors have every right to use their fireplace!

I think you are out of line and expecting too much to think that all wood burning fireplaces should be banned (you know those built way back in the 60's LOL)

If the fire place is safe (meeting all safty standards) then folks have a right to use them.

I suggest you move to a place where there are no close neighbors that can cause you harm.

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:33 PM

3 posts, read 6,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyNola View Post
People enjoy a real wood buring fireplace!

I am sorry for your eyes watering, but those neighbors have every right to use their fireplace!

I think you are out of line and expecting too much to think that all wood burning fireplaces should be banned (you know those built way back in the 60's LOL)

If the fire place is safe (meeting all safty standards) then folks have a right to use them.

I suggest you move to a place where there are no close neighbors that can cause you harm.

Good luck!
People enjoy a wide variety of things LizzyNola, but that shouldn't make everything legal.

With regards to fireplaces, it causes discomfort to other neighbors and deprives others to enjoy their own home. Not to mention the health issues.

I don't think I am out of line. There is a reason why you cannot find a home built recently with a wood burning fireplace. Why is that?

Obviously I made a mistake to move here.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:33 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Yes you are out of line. There are plenty of things that annoy me but I don't expect those activities to be outlawed simply to please me. If you can't move somewhere else then buy an over the counter medication that controls your allergic reactions. Burning wood for heat has been done for nearly 6,000 years - why should it suddenly no longer be allowed now?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
I love it when my neighbors use their fireplaces/stoves. The chilly night air smells delicious when alder or oak are burning.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:59 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,389 times
I think you're affected by the combination of LA smog (it is worse than any firewood smoke, trust me) and wood smoke, amplifying the effects.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:14 PM

448 posts, read 1,605,424 times
Fireplaces rock! Coincidentally, I'm planning to build a second one for my home. This has motivated me further. Thanks!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I believe you are way out of line to move into an established area and then complain.

That said... many new homes are not permitted to have wood burning fireplaces...

I know of no such requirement for gas fireplaces...

Perhaps moving to a new building or community would solve your dilemma...

Also, it bears to say that the Federal Government was still providing tax credits for modern EPA wood burning stoves...

America has lots of wood, it is a renewable resource and carbon neutral...

Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 PM

2,494 posts, read 3,245,156 times
Sacramento County has air quality standards now. Some days are "OK to Burn", some are not.
Fireplaces are not illegal in new homes. Newer homes just use gas fireplaces because its easier for the builders.
We are encouraged to get an EPA approved wood stove that burns much cleaner than an older stove, Theres even a tax credit for the new ones.
Like another poster said, the world doesnt change according to your whims.
Deal with it...

Old 01-18-2012, 11:39 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,389 times
OP, you should check on google which areas, places have "no burn" days and ordinances (many do), and move--especially because it seems like you're exhibiting first signs of reaction to toxic LA smog, possibly asthma, masquerading as specific reaction to wood smoke.

Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by Count David; 01-19-2012 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles