U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 04:00 PM

497 posts, read 1,377,626 times

Advertisements

I agree. Join a gym with shower and find yourself a job with minimum wage preferable food service so you can eat for free and cover 2 birds. Make sure you dont get into a situation where you get all your stuff ripped off/including ID etc..Keep it close and tight. I think you can handle 2 weeks in the car until you receive that first paycheck.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-26-2012, 01:00 PM

401 posts, read 683,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkinteh View Post
I found myself in a situation this week where I was not going to be able to pay my rent, my unemployment was cut off, and I have no income.
Out of curiosity, why did your unemployment get cut off? I haven't yet been unemployed (knock on wood), so I don't know the rules of how you get cut off. I may be unemployed soon, you never know...

Old 01-27-2012, 04:26 AM

27 posts, read 58,890 times
Thanks to everyone for all of your ideas. I think I am going to try and stay in a hostel for a month and then maybe go stay with my parents for awhile if I haven't found work by then. Six more days in the apartment, so still trying to sort things out.

TrueFreedom...ii's a complicated story. Basically though, if you take ANY work while you are on one of your unemployment extensions, your benefit amount will be reduced based on the new amount. Because I worked a 7 day temp job in October, my amount was reduced from 450 a week to 47. It sucks and I think discourages people on unemployment from working, but that's probably for another forum.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:44 AM

1,020 posts, read 3,049,408 times
have you thought about selling your yaris, which would be worth about 5000 at least, since its still fairly new, then use that money to fly back to your parents place and then use the rest of the money to survive and figure out what to do?

I knew someone that slept in his car, he went to supermarkets to use the bathroom to get a sponge bath (door can lock). It is not a good place to be, he is a guy, so its a bit safer, but still dangerous. for a woman to sleep like that, it is very dangerous.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:10 AM

8,488 posts, read 16,242,543 times
During the day you can hang out in libraries and at night, you can usually sleep in the waiting room at an Emergency Room (at least there's toilet facilities and it's relatively safe).

Have you looked into teaching positions? With a JD, you could get a job teaching future paralegals or legal secretaries at a community college - they are often hiring adjunct faculty - and you'd even be called "doctor". That's what my ex finally did since his law practice was a flop.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
During the day you can hang out in libraries and at night, you can usually sleep in the waiting room at an Emergency Room (at least there's toilet facilities and it's relatively safe).

sleeping at the emergency room can only be done a few times, most hospitals have security at night, even if they dont, workers there will notice the same person sleeping there every night. they will kick you out after they have an idea of what you are doing. this can only work if there is an infinite amount of hospitals.

also, parking at most hospitals are not free, you might have to walk quite a distance for a free spot. street parking might be free overnight, but then the person has to go out at 7am to avoid getting ticketed.

I know this because i had a friend that slept in his car like what i posted before. if the person doesnt have an income, sooner or later gas expenses and food expenses will make them broke, even if the person dont get car insurance.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:10 PM

9,197 posts, read 15,020,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
have you thought about selling your yaris, which would be worth about 5000 at least
Use part of that money to get a van or truck with a shell if you need an emergency place to sleep. A lot more comfy and cop-proof than the Yaris.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:40 PM

27 posts, read 58,890 times
The Yaris isn't paid off, so selling it won't help. I'm trying really hard to continue to make that payment because I got it at 0 down and 0%. Not likely to get that kind of deal again anytime soon. Also, it at least gives me some mobility and a place to put my stuff. Naturally, I am really wishing that the Yaris was a VW camper about now. You are right though, Civic94, food and gas costs will start to add up quick.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkinteh View Post
The Yaris isn't paid off, so selling it won't help. I'm trying really hard to continue to make that payment because I got it at 0 down and 0%. Not likely to get that kind of deal again anytime soon. Also, it at least gives me some mobility and a place to put my stuff. Naturally, I am really wishing that the Yaris was a VW camper about now. You are right though, Civic94, food and gas costs will start to add up quick.

have you tried to sell all your furniture on craigslist, then use that money for gas to drive back to kentucky? even if you have a vw camper, its still not safe. anyone can break in your car while your sleeping, and steal your car, or worse off rape you if your a woman. it is really something that you do not want to do.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:58 PM

920 posts, read 1,635,299 times
Look, I don't want to sound TOO much like a jerk, but what were you thinking? You're an attorney, you spent time/money/effort to become one, you move to a state where you can't practice from one where you can, all for the fantasy of becoming a writer? And one in one of the most expensive cities in the US. What stopped you from writing in whatever state you came from? And why couldn't you have been a writer in Fresno, much cheaper and William Saroyan came from the town.

I'm from NorCal, and to be quite honest, I've seen people like you all the time. I lived in the San Geronimo Valley and was a native of the area. My family had been in the area from the 1850's, when it wasn't glamorous. Then all of a sudden, my neighborhood gets run over by yuppies and vibe chasers who somehow think that The Valley is the place to live. So many people have moved into the area to "write," and sounding like you when it doesn't work out. I'll tell you the same thing we tell them, get out. Sorry if your fantasy didn't materialize, but if you're really inspired to be writer/poet/artist, nothing stops you from pursuing that ambition in Bakersfield....

Last edited by loloroj; 01-27-2012 at 08:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles