U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:43 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,159,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
Look, I don't want to sound TOO much like a jerk, but what were you thinking? You're an attorney, you spent time/money/effort to become one, you move to a state where you can't practice from one where you can, all for the fantasy of becoming a writer? And one in one of the most expensive cities in the US. What stopped you from writing in whatever state you came from? And why couldn't you have been a writer in Fresno, much cheaper and William Saroyan came from the town.

I'm from NorCal, and to be quite honest, I've seen people like you all the time. I lived in the San Geronimo Valley and was a native of the area. My family had been in the area from the 1850's, when it wasn't glamorous. Then all of a sudden, my neighborhood gets run over by yuppies and vibe chasers who somehow think that The Valley is the place to live. So many people have moved into the area to "write," and sounding like you when it doesn't work out. I'll tell you the same thing we tell them, get out. Sorry if your fantasy didn't materialize, but if you're really inspired to be writer/poet/artist, nothing stops you from pursuing that ambition in Bakersfield....

loloroj is pretty much right. Im shocked that you have the brains to go to law school, but wow you really need to think about your life. sleeping in any car/van is not a good thing, especially if your a woman. I gave you some really good advice on my last posts, read it please. if you dont, sooner or later you will run out of money, if you beg for money, some guys will take advantage of it. Im not sure if you know whats reality and whats fantasy at this point from what im reading on your posts.

Your favoring living in hostels, shelters, in the car, or hopefully a vw van, while you can make a better choice and go back to kentucky, live in a place with a roof, maybe save up, and then you can think about becoming a writer in LA again.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:59 PM

29,011 posts, read 9,569,929 times
WOW - seems like everyone wants fkinteh to get out of town - all the way to Kentucky!

I won't tell you to leave but I will give yo a heads up on a hostel you may have not heard of. It's in Fullerton(Orange County) - the rates are $20-25. I don't know anything about hostels, so this may or may not be "cheap" enough. I know about this one because I pass it often.

Currently - the "Occupy Orange County" group has set up camp in the Brea Dam Park adjacent to the hostel. I'm not a big fan of their political views, but perhaps you might consider joining them. You would be in a group camp setting - and if you do your part to get their message out - maybe you will get other "amenities".

I copied this from the Occupy OC blog site : "
Please be aware that THERE IS A FULLY WELCOMING AND FUNCTIONAL TENT VILLAGE JUST WAITING FOR YOU TO CAMP IN, in Fullerton, at 1700 N. Harbor Blvd. And we need you to Occupy it! – (The Occupy OC encampment has electricity, and bathrooms on-site, and uses barbecues for outdoor cooking.)"

Here is link to info on the hostel. Hostelling International - Fullerton, Fullerton

Here is a link for Occupy OC - http://www.occupy-oc.org/blog/
Good luck.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:12 AM

29,011 posts, read 9,569,929 times
Oh - I was perusing the Occupy OC site and ran across this:

PEOPLE WE NEED:
  • WE NEED PEOPLE IN ALL COMMITTEES, ESPECIALLY WEB OUTREACH, MEDIA, SUPPLY PROCUREMENT ETC. PLEASE BRING YOUR EXPERIENCE AS FACILITATORS FROM OTHER OCCUPATIONS
  • Educational Speakers
  • Safety Personnel, CPR Trained Volunteers, or EMTs
  • Legal Observers & Attorneys

Old 01-28-2012, 01:09 AM

4,900 posts, read 5,584,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkinteh View Post
Just looking for a little advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation.

I found myself in a situation this week where I was not going to be able to pay my rent, my unemployment was cut off, and I have no income. In order to keep from losing my place, I was lucky enough to be able to sublet it for the next 2-3 months. The issue now is where I am going to stay! I have a car, but it's a Yaris and VERY uncomfortable to sleep in. Also, sleeping in your car is illegal in LA. I'm grateful to at least have the car and an apartment to come back to eventually. But, I'm not sure what to do next. My family lives in Kentucky, btw, so that's not an option.

It seems like camping around LA is actually kind of expensive. I stayed at the hostel in Venice when I first moved to town, but even that gets pricey over time.

Anyone been in a similar spots? Thoughts about places to crash, to hang during the day, free places/food, etc... BTW, I'm a woman in my 30's, so sleeping in the park is not going to be an option.

Thanks so much for your help!

I don't mean this in any insensitive or sarcastic way in the least bit, please understand, but is there some reason why you don't have a job. I know it can be tough out there, but is there something that prevents you from finding a job?

Old 01-28-2012, 01:18 AM

25 posts, read 32,457 times
Quote:
I don't mean this in any insensitive or sarcastic way in the least bit, please understand, but is there some reason why you don't have a job. I know it can be tough out there, but is there something that prevents you from finding a job?
Tex, the two word answer for this would be "the economy." I attempted to answer a little more in depth further up the thread. I'm obviously searching every day and have interviews set up. But the competition is fierce. If it's any indication, a few months back, I posted an ad on craigslist that I would pay someone $20 if they would come help me hang curtains. I got around 75 responses in 24 hours. Things are just tough out there. For what it's worth, my friends in Kentucky say it isn't much better there. In any event, I think I've gotten whatever positive suggestions I'm going to get on this board.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Hey, loloroj, guess what? You ARE a complete jerk and also, completely ignorant. Civic, you gave me some great ideas, but then jumped on the jerk mobile too.

i was not a jerk, I was being real. I did not tell you to leave ca and never come back, i said for now its better for you to leave, at least have a roof on your head, then if you can get back on your feet, come back to CA and persue your dreams. I know 2 people that became homeless, they used to make middle class money. one is on the street and one went to jail. at least you have your parents in KY if you need help. my 2 friends did not. theres only so much i can help them with letting then stay at my place, feeding them, but i have my life too. both of them ran out of unemployment, lost their marriage, one had kids that didnt care, and one didnt have kids but no siblings, so he is homeless. I helped them with food, money, and the one that is homeless now owes me 500 dollars and ignores me.

when a person is broke, and stop showering for 3 days, everything goes downhill, you get itchy, stinky, and hungry. why do laundry for 3 bucks when you can get 3 dollar menu burgers and feed yourself a meal? based on your situation, I would really sell whatever you have on craigslist, save every penny so you can drive back to your family. if not, you will go downhill really fast. if you dont have any more money, cant pay your cell phone bill, and loose it, then at that point you cant even call your parents. how can you pay for a pay phone with no money? if you ask someone to use their phone, but you stink, look homneless, will anyone lend you their cell hone? I know so because my "friend" showed up at my place to ask for food. I cant do so everytime, im struggling also.

Last edited by civic94; 01-28-2012 at 04:23 AM..

Old 01-28-2012, 04:46 AM

25 posts, read 32,457 times
Civic, I appreciate what you're saying. But, I would never let things get to that point. That's why I asked for ideas. Hostels have showers and so do gyms. I just wanted to find a place to land for a bit while I tried to find some work. Temporarily going back to KY is not the worst idea in the world and it's something that, of course, I had considered. I just wanted to see if I could find something before I completely gave up.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by David Aguilar; 01-29-2012 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 01-28-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Civic, I appreciate what you're saying. But, I would never let things get to that point. That's why I asked for ideas. Hostels have showers and so do gyms. I just wanted to find a place to land for a bit while I tried to find some work. Temporarily going back to KY is not the worst idea in the world and it's something that, of course, I had considered. I just wanted to see if I could find something before I completely gave up.

If you say so.

I would say its more of a tough love thing, even i dont know you. I have warned the 2 people that i knew, and like i said, 1 of them took advantage of me, knowing that i myself is jobless, living on savings. but still, i cant stop helping him with money and food, now friendship is lost, im 500 bucks broker, I had to say no once i hit the 500 mark, i cant go any further or else I will be homeless. I lended money even i knew he wouldnt pay me back in a while, then he just dissappeared, act like he dont know me, because he knows i wont lend anymore money to him.

everyone says "i will not be homeless, or i will not get to that point" but once money is gone, you really fall down fast. you at least have your parents. if you stayed at hostels, and applied for jobs, even if you get a job, you will still need to wait 2 weeks or a month (depending on pay cycle) to receive any money from your job. can you stay that long?

your thread title is "about to be homeless" and i know 2 people that is. its not fun. If i dont warn you about the reality of it, you will suffer. I can just ignore it and dont post here, save my energy. I am in no means to grill you here, when you are down on luck, but you have to take it seriously. Lack of money makes men crawl like a dog, women get on their backs, and people do stupid things.

Last edited by civic94; 01-28-2012 at 05:09 AM..

Old 01-28-2012, 05:10 AM

8,347 posts, read 6,931,963 times
Quote:
Just looking for a little advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation.

I found myself in a situation this week where I was not going to be able to pay my rent, my unemployment was cut off, and I have no income. In order to keep from losing my place, I was lucky enough to be able to sublet it for the next 2-3 months. The issue now is where I am going to stay! I have a car, but it's a Yaris and VERY uncomfortable to sleep in. Also, sleeping in your car is illegal in LA. I'm grateful to at least have the car and an apartment to come back to eventually. But, I'm not sure what to do next. My family lives in Kentucky, btw, so that's not an option.

It seems like camping around LA is actually kind of expensive. I stayed at the hostel in Venice when I first moved to town, but even that gets pricey over time.

Anyone been in a similar spots? Thoughts about places to crash, to hang during the day, free places/food, etc... BTW, I'm a woman in my 30's, so sleeping in the park is not going to be an option.

Thanks so much for your help!
I would tell you to sell your car and get a bus trip home to your family. It certainly isn't safe for anyone to be homeless anywhere. If the weather was better I might suggest driving to N.D. to get yourself a job in the oil fields. But, I think home is a good choice. Perhaps if you do stay in the LA area you can get a caregiver job, that includes housing. Or a nanny job.
But do not just give up and live in your car. Also, how are you able to go back to your apartment, or do you have another job?? I hope you are safe, sorry for your troubles.
I saw a homeless Lady when I used to drive my daughter to Ventura daily, She was discussing how she became homeless as I sat at the light. I overheard that she had not had the money to pay a some sort of tickets, finally went to warrant, she was arrested, ahe lost her job, she lost her car and her apartment. It was so sad, and it makes you think how fast something like not having family to help you is so detrimental to our life. Go hon, to your family, get a job there. share your LA stories........but be safe.

Last edited by JanND; 01-28-2012 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 01-28-2012, 05:17 AM

18,966 posts, read 15,748,503 times
Oh my! L.A. is full of writers, directors, producers, models, actors, etc. washing dishes, parking cars and waiting tables. Knowing when to hold 'em and knowing when to fold 'em are critical skills in this economy especially but always have been in SoCal. There's no shame in choosing your battles wisely and sometimes making a determined advance to the rear to re-arm, re-fuel, re-fit and live to fight another day.

I think that those who have suggested/recommended returning to from whence you came to do just that have offered sound advice. Do so, find work, build up a reserve and try again (Yoda's declaration notwithstanding). You're young. You have plenty of time. Use it wisely, Grasshopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles