U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:47 AM

8,907 posts, read 11,753,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
They are actually building two NFL stadiums in the LA area

One is downtown:
Farmers Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Farmers Field

the other is where a bunch of highways cross just east of Los Angeles area
Los Angeles Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Los Angeles Football Stadium at Grand Crossing

I think the two best teams would be the Bengals and Vikings
Los Angeles Bengals downtown
Los Angeles Vikings in the intersection, that would be good to see

both teams, arent in a good market right now, their stadiums aren't great, and their winning seasons are poor, meaning they would be perfect opportunties to buy out, and take to LA..
I haven't heard any serious talk about the Bengals moving....Cincinnati/Louisville/Northern Kentucky NEEDS that team.

The stadiums you mention are PROPOSED, not even close to being set in stone. I prefer the Farmers Field idea myself.

The Vikings would be a huge loss to Minnesota. I don't see it happening, they just need to get their stadium situation figured out.

Chargers, Jaguars, or Raiders are most likely IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The "younger set" likely doesn't remember the Rams and Raiders being here. DewDropIn - you are correct that SC is not LA's team - this is a town where the entire population does not get entirely behind any of our teams. This isn't Green Bay or Pittsburgh or even New York. We don't have an LA team - for any sport. There are Lakers, Dodgers, Kings, Clippers, Trojans, Bruins fans - but none of these teams truly brings the city together as one. Perhaps the closest common devotion from the entire city that can be claimed is to certain sports icons - John Wooden, Chich Hearn(note the response when they died) and Vin Scully. Our "Big 3" sports teams all came from other places - Lakers(Minneapolis), Clippers(San Diego), Dodgers(Brooklyn), Raiders(Oakland) and Rams(Cleveland). We don't have a team to call our own - USC comes the closest. If an NFL team was so important to Los Angeles then the general apathy demonstrated by football fans the last 18 years would have given way to a grassroots movement that could not be ignored. LA has done fine without an NFL team and will continue to not care less. The NFL obviously wants the market - LA doesn't neccesarily want the NFL.
I was like 10 or 11 when both teams moved, so yeah I barely remember them, the memories of the Chargers being the closest team are most vivid.

With the exception of the past TWO YEARS (:cough::cough: Blake Griffin/Clippers), LA and all of the Southland has been united behind the Lakers. NY (and Chicago when it comes to baseball) is no different in being split (mostly unevenly) when it comes to having two (OR THREE) teams in all sports.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:04 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,418,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
most people don't give a rat's ass
um, no. only according to YOU and "everyone you know".

please stop assuming that your personal, highly biased opinions represent what "most people" in the LA area desire.

the truth is that there are plenty of people in the region who are for, against, and indifferent to the idea of the nfl returning to LA. socal is far too large and diverse in its makeup and mindset for there to be a consensus on this issue. yet this is seemingly the 1000th time you've posted these ignorant rants about LA's supposed apathy for the nfl. it's predictable yet tiresome.

consider this:
if an outsider with little-to-no understanding of the region's sports culture were to visit a website such as this or this, he might reach the conclusion that most people in LA are die-hard football fans who still root for the rams and are clamoring for the return of the nfl to the city at all costs. that's because everyone who participates on those sites fits that profile.

see what i did there? i can cherry pick "evidence" to "prove" an argument that is contrary to yours and then swear up and down that i'm right.

in reality, LA's sports culture is much more complicated than that - plenty of football fans in LA root for teams other than the rams, some only like college football, and some don't like football at all. it is not as black-and-white as you make it seem.

Quote:
which makes me wonder, whenever there is an argument, discussion, debate, about bringing the NFL back to L.A., and no i'm not gonna say what i said before, the lack of support arguments, i've said that enough already, but a lot of people say, "because there is too many things, activities to do in L.A." if that is the case, then does that mean that in all of the cities, regions, metropolitan areas that have NFL teams, is the reason why they have NFL teams and L.A. does not is because the people in those cities, regions, metropolitan areas have no lives? What can you do in L.A. that you can not do anywhere else? There is a lot to do in New York, Chicago, Miami, etc., but not as much as in L.A.? because that argument really annoys me, irritates me
for the gazillionth time, the absence of an nfl team in LA has nothing to do with lack of support or too many things to do. the city/region lost the rams and raiders due to stadium issues and negligent/carpetbagging owners. how many times must this be explained to you?

and the nfl has not returned to LA because the stadium issue has never been resolved. in other words, a brand new, state-of-the-art facility with a sufficient amount of luxury/club seating and other revenue-generating amenities has not yet been built to lure a team. if a modern stadium had been built back in the early '90s, the rams and raiders would've never left in the first place. and if stadium plans had been finalized and the proposed ownership groups had gotten their act together in the late '90s when LA was vying for an expansion team, houston would've never been awarded the franchise that became the texans.

if and when plans for a new stadium are finalized, it won't be long before a team returns - you can bank on that. the only question is whether either of the two stadium proposals can reach the finish line; my bet is on AEG's farmers field proposal in DTLA. as of now, farmers field has not yet received final approval because an environmental impact report (EIR) is still being drafted. once it has been submitted, it must be approved for the project to proceed. and if that happens, then the project is pretty much guaranteed to receive final approval, assuming any legal challenges are settled or dismissed. this in turn will allow teams with stadium issues in other markets to go ahead with their plans to relocate to LA.

at this point, the favorites to move to LA are probably the chargers, rams, and raiders. in all likelihood, two out of those three teams will eventually relocate to LA and share a brand new stadium. i don't really believe that the vikings or jaguars are serious contenders for relocation, but you never know.

Last edited by pbergen; 01-27-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 11:39 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,663,526 times
My chain has been yanked too many times for me to care if a pro football team moves to Los Angeles.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:00 PM

434 posts, read 154,196 times
Los Angeles Vikings. You can have them. I'm from Minnesota, and I don't like them.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:33 PM

16,587 posts, read 19,705,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
What can you do in L.A. that you can not do anywhere else?
Surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon.

In the dead of Winter.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:58 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,453,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
This thread IS about Football in L.A. and Al Davis screwed you over ... Davis fooled you, and you gave him $10M ...

L.A. - A city of 15 million people and no Professional Football
Notice how these types never list what city/state they're from.

That bad, huh?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 PM

29,011 posts, read 9,560,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

I was like 10 or 11 when both teams moved, so yeah I barely remember them, the memories of the Chargers being the closest team are most vivid.

With the exception of the past TWO YEARS (:cough::cough: Blake Griffin/Clippers), LA and all of the Southland has been united behind the Lakers. NY (and Chicago when it comes to baseball) is no different in being split (mostly unevenly) when it comes to having two (OR THREE) teams in all sports.
This is true - but it is mainly because the Lakers have been consistent winners during most of the last 10 or so years , including 5 NBA championships. Even during their "drought" in the mid 2000's the team had Kobe and Phil, and the entire soap opera that is the Los Angeles Lakers to keep the city focused on them. It was like this during Showtime in the 80's.

However during the 90's I don't remmember anyone being excited about the Lakers. They weren't winning. LA is like that - we want a winner. In Green Bay or Pittsburgh(at least the Steelers) and New York fans are passionate about their team win or lose. They may not be happy about the team but they don't simply ignore them. They get pissed off and are vocal about needing some change.

This is my perception of sports fans here in Los Angeles. I note a distinct lack of true passion. LA would have had an NFL team back within 5 years after the Rams and Raiders left if the fans truly wanted it.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:38 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,453,957 times
Quote:
This is true - but it is mainly because the Lakers have been consistent winners during most of the last 10 or so years , including 5 NBA championships. Even during their "drought" in the mid 2000's the team had Kobe and Phil, and the entire soap opera that is the Los Angeles Lakers to keep the city focused on them. It was like this during Showtime in the 80's.

However during the 90's I don't remmember anyone being excited about the Lakers. They weren't winning. LA is like that - we want a winner. In Green Bay or Pittsburgh(at least the Steelers) and New York fans are passionate about their team win or lose. They may not be happy about the team but they don't simply ignore them. They get pissed off and are vocal about needing some change.

This is my perception of sports fans here in Los Angeles. I note a distinct lack of true passion. LA would have had an NFL team back within 5 years after the Rams and Raiders left if the fans truly wanted it.
Go check the attendance figures for the venerable Red Sox in the 80's. They were drawing 15,000 a game some years.

Look at the Bulls pre-Jordan. Or the Blackhawks just a few years ago (they sell out every game now that they're good).

Look at the Pistons attendance now compared to their championship run in '04. Night and day.

This "LA only roots for winners" line is tired. Yes, there is more excitement when a local team is winning, and it brings out more fairweather fans, but as I showed, that's true virtually anywhere, even in cities where fans are thought to be way more scary passionate about their teams than here.

I bet you had no idea that, up until a few years ago, before they got Kevin Garnett, the CLIPPERS were outdrawing the Celtics! How awesome is that? The B team, maybe the biggest laughingstock in sports history, luring more fans than the legendary Celtics in "sports mad" Boston.

The stereotypes against L.A. fans don't hold water upon further inspection.

Btw, comparing L.A. to Green Bay (metro pop: 300,000) is insane.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:02 PM

7,472 posts, read 6,369,435 times
Quote:

This is my perception of sports fans here in Los Angeles. I note a distinct lack of true passion.
They've always been pretty devout supporters of the Dodgers and Lakers, and back in the day, there were definitely passionate Rams and Raiders fans.
If you note a lack of passion in general, it has a bit to do with the fact that there are a great many transplants in the L.A. area, who bring with them their own rooting interests, especially when it comes to college ball. Even so, USC's attendance seems to be doing just fine at the Coliseum, and many of those people go just because it's the only championship-contending game in town in football, and the team is practically an NFL team anyway.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:29 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,107,324 times
So is there more to do in L.A., Southern California than any other region, area, city, place in the World? overall, literally more things to do, activities, etc.? I know that Southern California has the Beach, Disneyland, and all the other Theme Parks such as Knotts, Six Flags, the great Weather here, Southern California is not the only place in the World that has Beaches, Theme parks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles