U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 PM

8 posts, read 17,014 times
Actually ive been to downtown L.A. on numerous occasions i'm sorry if your offended by my post but im just used to condensed cities with downtown as their center. The truth is Downtown L.A. is alot better than it used to be but people are really overhyping it saying its "a true urban city experience".... cmon seriously its a ghost town after 6:00pm its too spread out with too many parking lots for it to thrive as a neighbourhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 01:21 PM

11,881 posts, read 12,807,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Another 15 to 20 years? If you said that in 1990 or 1995 you would have been accurate.

If you think LA Live is what defines downtown LA you have no clue.
In 1990 downtown LA was being written off as dead for good. In 1995 the general public wrote it off as unsalvageable, but fortunately the MTA didn't - once the Red Line went beyond downtown, downtown would revive.

Downtown today, despite some problematic areas particularly Skid Row and also the area west of the 110, is firmly back on its feet and has reassumed an importance in the life of the city that it has not had since the 1950s.

As for the L.A. Live area - should be interesting if the football stadium is built, and there's talk now of Arte Moreno moving the "Los Angeles Angels" back to Los Angeles with a downtown stadium...

Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 PM

29,011 posts, read 9,240,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
I think 755 figueroa is dead...and I hope to god they revise the design for metropolis.

I like the overall concept, but this is a waste of space and seems like it would fit better in a suburban neighborhood. I think a multi-tower metropolis with retail space in each tower would be better.
More targets for 9/11 type terrorists.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
As for the L.A. Live area - should be interesting if the football stadium is built, and there's talk now of Arte Moreno moving the "Los Angeles Angels" back to Los Angeles with a downtown stadium...
Orange County would revolt.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Orange County would revolt.
They didn't revolt over the name change.

In fact Orange County doesn't revolt about much of anything normally...

Old 05-08-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
They didn't revolt over the name change.

In fact Orange County doesn't revolt about much of anything normally...
Proposition 13 was the result of a type of revolt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califor...ition_13_(1978)

Orange County was also part of L.A. County prior to 1889.

Orange County voters adamantly protested against a new airport being built on El Toro MCAB.

Arte should tread very carefully if he is considering moving the Angels back north.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Proposition 13 was the result of a type of revolt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califor...ition_13_(1978)
Not confined to OC. If Prop 13 did not have support outside OC it would have failed. (Which would have made OC and the rest of California better off but that's another topic.)

Howard Jarvis lived in L.A. County not OC.

OC hasn't had as many riots. The only riot I can remember in OC was the Huntington Beach riot in the '80s, which was nowhere on the level of Rodney King or Watts. (Even though the King riots spread to many other parts of the western US, they didn't affect OC.) You'd have to back to the golden age of the Klan in OC to find examples of mass violence, and not much of OC's current population has OC roots extending back to those days. Unless you think that the Kelly Thomas murder could cause a riot if the cops get off which is possible, but that's a topic for the OC forum not the LA forum.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 PM

4,525 posts, read 8,064,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontainedude View Post
Actually ive been to downtown L.A. on numerous occasions i'm sorry if your offended by my post but im just used to condensed cities with downtown as their center. The truth is Downtown L.A. is alot better than it used to be but people are really overhyping it saying its "a true urban city experience".... cmon seriously its a ghost town after 6:00pm its too spread out with too many parking lots for it to thrive as a neighbourhood.
Are people really overhyping it? I don't think so at all. Is it a ghost town after 6? Not hardly. Another clueless Angeleno! Too spread out? You really think dt LA is too spread out? In what way? Some people argue that its too small or really compact. I think its pretty walkable and easy to get from point a to point b. New restaurants, new stores, new hotels, new green spaces, new condos and apts, new lightrail. I think its coming along quite beautifully. It's honestly like a rebirth.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 AM

8,765 posts, read 11,473,435 times
Aren't Angels games just a place for OC'ers to go and talk business?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:04 PM

7,341 posts, read 6,166,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Aren't Angels games just a place for OC'ers to go and talk business?
They act as a large place for the nannies and manservants to park the children while the gentry are out on their, um, business vacations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles