Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 PM

6,115 posts, read 12,484,611 times

Advertisements

i do not operate the vehicle with it on the mirror. simply makes for easier install/removal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 01:31 PM

448 posts, read 1,049,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyThe2nd View Post
Hi everyone, last week I got a parking ticket for an expired meter in the Hollywood area. Normally I wouldn't complain, but the problem is I had my temporary disability placard up so I should not have even been issued the ticket. I contacted parking enforcement and after a few days of research, they said my placard was not properly displayed. Now I have to pay the $58.00 fine first to qualify for a hearing. If that doesn't go to my favor, it's off to superior court.

I know I had my placard up correctly because it was hanging from my rearview mirror. The only problem with my car is that the rearview mirror is so big and bulky that my placard is less visible, but nevertheless it is visible (along with expiration dates) to anyone upon a closer look. Part of me wants to just pay it off, but then again I want to fight this just due to principle alone. I don't understand why a disabled person who has difficulty going from point A to point B can be a victim of such a ticket. (I had ACL and meniscus surgery 2 weeks ago so I really can't walk without crutches)

Does anyone know of anyone that went through a similar situation? Right now I'm just going to pay the fine and wait for a hearing, but that takes months. I wish I can expedite this matter. Any advice would be really appreciated. Hopefully by fighting this minor ticket, I'm also fighting for other citizens that have been picked on by the greedy city lol. So please help me defend the innocents
well you live in commieforina and the revenue rangers will do anything for a buck out here as they don't think that you'll fight it. trust me i got 150 ticket for smoking clean record and clean nose they wouldn't even give me a break. i hate to be blunt i hope that you don't go in front of a bastard judge like i got if you do fight it

Old 01-30-2012, 01:36 PM

245 posts, read 709,502 times
^^ That's exactly what I'm afraid of. What's worse is there really isn't a sure way to prevent this from happening again in the future... to me or anyone.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:43 PM

448 posts, read 1,049,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyThe2nd View Post
^^ That's exactly what I'm afraid of. What's worse is there really isn't a sure way to prevent this from happening again in the future... to me or anyone.
i would just hang it in the mirror or get one that you can. and buy a dig cam and or use your cell phone and take pics then you'll have proof if you ever go in front of another judge

Old 01-31-2012, 06:55 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,169,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
One can park in metered parking and not pay if they have a handicapped placard?

[didn't know that]
In some areas, yes. I don't think it's fair, either, but I guess some would argue someone who is disabled can't get back to feed the meter (which is illegal in many places) or move the car. Metered spots are supposed to be for temporary parking. I used to work with someone who had a handicapped card because she had diabetes, and she used to park on the street in a metered spot (in DC) all day for free, even though there was a pay parking lot even closer to her office. It's certainly an abused privilege (e.g., someone using a placard issued for their spouse), but tough to enforce, and wouldn't want to just eliminate it.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,461 times
On, October 1, 2012, the city of Santa Monica started charging people with handicapped plaques and plates to park in their structures. They did this while at the same time reducing the number of parking spaces on the streets around several tourist venues.

The problem for many people who perform on the 3rd Street Promenade is that they are disabled and use the small amount of money they earn to supplement their income. For others, performance money is their only income. The cost of all day parking is prohibitive. The alternative of parking on the streets, for some, is a severe hardship to impossible. Several disabled performers are wheelchair bound. Some are without legs and cannot drag their equipment from across the street (Wilshire Blvd) or further away. Some have equipment that does not fit in the parking structure elevators. They are in effect, locked out. I'm sure once legal staff review the situation they will discover the city of Santa Monica is in violation of ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).
This is an issue that personally concerns me and many friends that frequent the Promenade, the SM Pier and other nearby tourist attractions. Many of the disabled performers who play several times a week can't afford to feed the machine $14 a day. This, for some, is greater then what they collect performing.

Over the past week I surveyed the parking situation and tried talking to disabled performers. During the work week in the afternoon until the evening no one used the paid handicapped parking areas behind the Apple store, the Coffee Bean and near Broadway. My conversation with handicapped performers was a failed effort. Not one of the regulars were on the Promenade since Oct. 1st. Handicapped performers are, in effect, locked out.

Why did the City of Santa Monica have to meter the Handicapped Parking Spaces in the alleyways between
2nd and 3rd Streets and between 4th and 3rd Streets? Why did the City have to start charging for handicapped parking inside public parking structures? Didn't the city use federal funds that include access for all? How can this be corrected so that Americans with Disabilities are no longer discriminated against and locked out from the very same venues others can visit?

Old 12-06-2012, 02:53 PM

Hello Phillip.

I, personally, think this is terrific news.

If, what you are saying is correct, the city has essentially freed up HC parking spaces for shoppers and actual patrons, rather than performers, who likely turn over spots less. I all but guarantee the City is not in violation of ADA. In all my past dealings with SM, they are extremely smart, and have some of the best city planners in the west. I don't always agree with them, but they always 'dot their i's', so to speak.

Wow - I'm happy to be out of SM. I can't wait to stop paying property taxes there.

Have a good one.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,461 times
Although I am disabled I organize a dance program on the Promenade. For the past 10 years 1000s of people have danced with us and for free. Each Sunday those dancers and spectators shop and dine on or near the Promenade. On most Sunday evenings we are the only attraction on the north end of the Prom making business for others. It is the performer that brought crowds to the Prom. Chase us away by making our participation too expensive, inconvenient or impossible is not only bad for business but heartless.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Cohen View Post
Although I am disabled I organize a dance program on the Promenade. For the past 10 years 1000s of people have danced with us and for free. Each Sunday those dancers and spectators shop and dine on or near the Promenade. On most Sunday evenings we are the only attraction on the north end of the Prom making business for others. It is the performer that brought crowds to the Prom. Chase us away by making our participation too expensive, inconvenient or impossible is not only bad for business but heartless.
Do you have any evidence to back that up?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:15 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,819,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Cohen View Post
The great thing about LA is there's a lot of different neighborhoods that welcome street performers. If Santa Monica is locking you out, look into getting a street permit for Hollywood, Venice, Manhattan, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles