Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,834 times

Advertisements

Husband forgot to hang my handicap placard in Riverside.i have had it for about 20 years now with no issues.the placard was on the Console. I was a passenger in the car. Anyone with ideas so I don't have to pay a $321.00 fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 02:44 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I'd fight this too because it looks like you did NOTHING wrong. I've had a handicapped placard since the end of 2008. It was a temporary placard at first, then became permanent & I make sure to display it well from my rear mirror. Never got a ticket due to it though.

Only 1x ever, I was parked in a university parking lot's handicapped spot & campus police actually asked to see the DMV document that's issued along with the placard, so remember to keep that too. I keep that in my wallet at all times...he probably thought he had me since I don't look handicapped by just looking at me, but no sirree, he didn't get to write a ticket to me!

QUESTION:

Speaking of this topic, I have a question. You know how some drivers have an actual handicapped symbol on their metal license plate, but not all handicapped people do? How is it that some do & some don't have it? Did they have to specially order it from the DMV or is it that they became handicapped AFTER they got their car, so the DMV automatically issued the plate with the symbol? I never understood it. I personally do NOT want a symbol on my actual plate. It's no one's business if I'm handicapped or not when I'm driving around.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 PM

339 posts, read 777,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1sassygal View Post
Husband forgot to hang my handicap placard in Riverside.i have had it for about 20 years now with no issues.the placard was on the Console. I was a passenger in the car. Anyone with ideas so I don't have to pay a $321.00 fine?
You can go to court and honestly explain the circumstances or you can lie about what happened. Let your conscience be your guide.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'd fight this too because it looks like you did NOTHING wrong. I've had a handicapped placard since the end of 2008. It was a temporary placard at first, then became permanent & I make sure to display it well from my rear mirror. Never got a ticket due to it though.

Only 1x ever, I was parked in a university parking lot's handicapped spot & campus police actually asked to see the DMV document that's issued along with the placard, so remember to keep that too. I keep that in my wallet at all times...he probably thought he had me since I don't look handicapped by just looking at me, but no sirree, he didn't get to write a ticket to me!

QUESTION:

Speaking of this topic, I have a question. You know how some drivers have an actual handicapped symbol on their metal license plate, but not all handicapped people do? How is it that some do & some don't have it? Did they have to specially order it from the DMV or is it that they became handicapped AFTER they got their car, so the DMV automatically issued the plate with the symbol? I never understood it. I personally do NOT want a symbol on my actual plate. It's no one's business if I'm handicapped or not when I'm driving around.
Just do the Google!

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochure...cts/ffvr07.htm

Old 07-21-2013, 03:44 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
CpnHawk, yeah I believe I read that yrs ago. I read the whole link. It still doesn't say the DIFFERENCE between the two. It just looks like ANYONE can have either the hanging placard OR the actual metal plate if they want. I guess the MAIN point is, if the disabled person will be riding in someone else's car a lot, they should have the placard for sure & if they know they'll drive their own car mostly, they have the option to have the symbol on their plate so they don't have to hang the placard every time.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:09 AM

You can apply for handicap plates for your personal vehicle(s). In doing so, the DMV will also issue a hanging placard that can be used for another vehicle. If you opt for just the hanging placard, the DMV will issue only one. Be sure to keep the paperwork issued with the plates/placard with your registration/insurance information. Once in a blue moon, you may be asked to present it by a peace officer.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,637 times
I got a ticket for not hanging my placard on the rearview mirror but had it clearly shown on the dashboard behind the windshield. My rearview mirror is large and there is very little room to easily slide the placard and even so, the placard will not hang. I have never received a ticket for this...except in Bevery Hills. How do I fight this?

Old 01-18-2014, 11:06 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchesterbob View Post
I got a ticket for not hanging my placard on the rearview mirror but had it clearly shown on the dashboard behind the windshield. My rearview mirror is large and there is very little room to easily slide the placard and even so, the placard will not hang. I have never received a ticket for this...except in Bevery Hills. How do I fight this?
I had one in a similar circumstance. Take your placard to the local police department and explain to the clerk what had happened. They will most likely reverse it at the window. Be calm and courteous and smile.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:40 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,237 times
I hang a small bungee-type cord around mirror and a paper binder clip so placard can be easily removed for driving but is completely visible when in use.

If you don't wanna get in pi%^ing contest with by-the-book parking enforcers it's best to just make it visible.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:00 AM

245 posts, read 712,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchesterbob View Post
It turns out I got my ticket reversed when I went to my appointment at the parking enforcement office. I brought the picture of my car's rearview mirror and presented my case. It also helps if you be courteous to the interviewer and not be confrontational in your tone. In my tone I was innocent and had no idea how to use the placard properly. She was very nice, felt sorry for me, and reversed my ticket. She advised that next time I use a string or bungee of some sort to hang my placard to avoid the headache in the future. In the end it worked out fine. Good luck on your case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles