U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 PM

228 posts, read 339,164 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, last week I got a parking ticket for an expired meter in the Hollywood area. Normally I wouldn't complain, but the problem is I had my temporary disability placard up so I should not have even been issued the ticket. I contacted parking enforcement and after a few days of research, they said my placard was not properly displayed. Now I have to pay the $58.00 fine first to qualify for a hearing. If that doesn't go to my favor, it's off to superior court.

I know I had my placard up correctly because it was hanging from my rearview mirror. The only problem with my car is that the rearview mirror is so big and bulky that my placard is less visible, but nevertheless it is visible (along with expiration dates) to anyone upon a closer look. Part of me wants to just pay it off, but then again I want to fight this just due to principle alone. I don't understand why a disabled person who has difficulty going from point A to point B can be a victim of such a ticket. (I had ACL and meniscus surgery 2 weeks ago so I really can't walk without crutches)

Does anyone know of anyone that went through a similar situation? Right now I'm just going to pay the fine and wait for a hearing, but that takes months. I wish I can expedite this matter. Any advice would be really appreciated. Hopefully by fighting this minor ticket, I'm also fighting for other citizens that have been picked on by the greedy city lol. So please help me defend the innocents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 02:24 PM

3,162 posts, read 4,663,624 times
As long as you had the tag hanging from your mirror, you should be find - as long as it isnt expired or otherwise invalid for the vehicle you're driving.

As far as expediting the process - good luck.

Note that 22511.5 does not discuss placement of your placard, and i don't recall that VC off the top of my head.

per CVC:

22511.5. (a) (1) A disabled person or disabled veteran displaying special license plates issued under Section 5007 or a distinguishing placard issued under Section 22511.55 or 22511.59 is allowed to park for unlimited periods in any of the following zones:

(A) In any restricted zone described in paragraph (5) of subdivision (a) of Section 21458 or on streets upon which preferential parking privileges and height limits have been given pursuant to Section 22507.

(B) In any parking zone that is restricted as to the length of time parking is permitted as indicated by a sign erected pursuant to a local ordinance.

(2) A disabled person or disabled veteran is allowed to park in any metered parking space without being required to pay parking meter fees.

(3) This subdivision does not apply to a zone for which state law or ordinance absolutely prohibits stopping, parking, or standing of all vehicles, or which the law or ordinance reserves for special types of vehicles, or to the parking of a vehicle that is involved in the operation of a street vending business.

(b) A disabled person or disabled veteran is allowed to park a motor vehicle displaying a special disabled person license plate or placard issued by a foreign jurisdiction with the same parking privileges authorized in this code for any motor vehicle displaying a special license plate or a distinguishing placard issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:31 PM

Thank you for the response. I just got off the phone with LADOT and they said the parking enforcement had no video or photograph of how I hung my placard. So this will be one of those he said she said case. I had 2 other witnesses in my car so hopefully it'll help.

Unfortunately I know is this going take some time to resolve, but luckily due to my knee, I'll have no life for the next 2 months... At the hearing I'll probably bring the witnesses and a photograph of how my placard was hung and how it may not be easily visible to an unobservant officer at night due to the design of my windshield and mirror. Still, as can be seen from the photos, I still think it's obvious I had a placard, especially to a supposedly trained eye of a parking enforcement officer.
Attached Thumbnails
Parking ticket even with a handicapped placard displayed-photo-3.jpg   Parking ticket even with a handicapped placard displayed-photo-2.jpg  

Old 01-27-2012, 03:37 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,056,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyThe2nd View Post
Thank you for the response. I just got off the phone with LADOT and they said the parking enforcement had no video or photograph of how I hung my placard. So this will be one of those he said she said case. I had 2 other witnesses in my car so hopefully it'll help.

Unfortunately I know is this going take some time to resolve, but luckily due to my knee, I'll have no life for the next 2 months... At the hearing I'll probably bring the witnesses and a photograph of how my placard was hung and how it may not be easily visible to an unobservant officer at night due to the design of my windshield and mirror. Still, as can be seen from the photos, I still think it's obvious I had a placard, especially to a supposedly trained eye of a parking enforcement officer.
I have a placard and a large mirror as well. I would go down to the police department with your pictures and placard and explain the situation in a nice manner. I got a ticket the same way and after explaining it to the nice clerk lady she rescinded the ticket.
Some meter readers are in such a hurry they miss the placards.
I wish you luck as being physically challeged is exhausting and you dont need this.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:01 PM

7,755 posts, read 6,814,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Some meter readers are in such a hurry they miss the placards.
This one is pretty obvious, though. No excuse for simply not seeing this. Show those pictures to the clerk, and things should be rectified.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:14 PM

2,421 posts, read 2,741,997 times
Don't worry, you will not have to pay the phony citation.
As everyone knows, a picture speaks volumes.
I remember a few years back, I forgot to put the placard on the mirror.
I never drive around with it hung on the mirror as that is against the law.
I stopped at walmart, and just forgot to hang it on the mirror.
When I came out, there was a ticket on my vehicle, and the fine was something like $428.00.
I don't remember the exact amount, but it was four twenty something.
I knew I was in the wrong, but that kind of money was not in my budget then, or any other time.
I wrote to the department that issued the ticket stating the placard was on the dashboard, and the officer just didn't see it.
Actually that was not so.
The placard was in the door pocket on the door.
What I did was, I taped the placard to the left hand side of the dash, below the windshield, and took a picture of it in that position.
That picture accompanied the letter.
I stated in the letter that often I take my dog with me , and he gets excited if someone approaches the vehicle, especially if I am not in the vehicle at the time, and he has knocked the placard off the mirror in his excitement, and that is why I taped it to the upper dashboard.
I explained the the ticket was written at night, and the officer obviously didn't see the placard on the dashboard.
I got a return letter stating that I did not have to pay the ticket.
Some quick thinking on my part saved me over four hundred bucks.
Bob.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:33 PM

Wow, congratulations on your case. Hopefully mine will be dismissed also. It's just the only option they are giving me is to first pay the fine and then I'll be eligible for a hearing. If the hearing goes well, I'll get the fine refunded to me within 30 days. Still that's me giving the city my money for almost 2 months.

I'll try to go see the clerk at the police department (or LADOT?) It's just I'm running into a string of not so great luck lately. I mean the reason why I am even disabled is I was rear ended by those white MTA SUVs several months ago. I almost believe the city is out to get me.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:13 PM

3,162 posts, read 4,663,624 times
for what its worth, I have a placard as well (Santa Monica City Parking Permit) - i don't want the sticker on my car, and i rarely don't park in my driveway. I, too, have cars with large mirrors (sensors for rain sending wipers, auto headlamps, etc) ... I have tied a lanyard to the placard, so it hangs below my mirror. I would recommend trying something like that for the future.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:46 PM

2,421 posts, read 2,741,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
for what its worth, I have a placard as well (Santa Monica City Parking Permit) - i don't want the sticker on my car, and i rarely don't park in my driveway. I, too, have cars with large mirrors (sensors for rain sending wipers, auto headlamps, etc) ... I have tied a lanyard to the placard, so it hangs below my mirror. I would recommend trying something like that for the future.

The problem with hanging the placard permanently to the mirror is you can get stopped for that because it obstructs your vision.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:14 PM

12,569 posts, read 9,500,927 times
One can park in metered parking and not pay if they have a handicapped placard?

[didn't know that]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles