Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 12:22 AM

29 posts, read 184,964 times

Advertisements

I have written here before about how thin the walls are where I live. In a few months, I will have been here for the amount of time agreed upon in the unofficial lease agreement. I have considered looking for another apartment with thicker walls if one is available at that time. My question: Would I want to apply for another apartment before or after giving notice to the current landlord? Regardless, I will give at least one month's notice if I decide to move. If I were to give notice, but then get turned down for the apartment I applied for, I would be worse off than before. However, the alternative would be to apply for the next place before giving notice. The problem with that is that the current landlord would most likely be called by the decision makers from the new place as part of the background check, and I imagine it wouldn't look good for that to happen before giving notice. Ideally, I would like to be approved, and then give my one-month notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 12:07 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I would find a place first and then give notice as soon as you secure it. Sometimes the new place won't be available immediately and you might have some time anyway. 30 days can be problem since you usually have to have the money to cover things until you get your security deposit back from the place you are vacating.

I'm not entirely sure one landlord would call the other if you have money and good credit. They may, but nobody ever did when my kids were renting.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
the tough part about changing apartments is timing it perfectly so you don't pay double rent. i've been lucky enough to have this work out for me once, but I've also had the rent overlap at the old and new location. most landlords won't give you a 30 day window to move in without paying. however, you also don't want to find yourself where you're limiting your options because your 30 day notice is about to end. if you can afford, allow for some overlap so you can find the best possible option since you'll be living in this new apartment for at least a year.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:08 PM

Update: I applied for 2 apartments back in October and ended up getting approved for both. I went with the one that approved me first. However, the thin walls have been a major issue for me, and I just found out the other apartment has become available again. I'll be taking a tour again this weekend, and the main thing I'm looking to find out is about the thickness of the walls, which I believe the apartment manager mentioned. If I were to get approved again for this apartment, I would take it if the walls were indeed thicker. However, if I don't get approved, I want to stay where I am. The problem is, the company that handles the thicker-walled apartment calls the current landlords as part of the background check. It seems like it would be better for my landlord to find out from me rather than from the other company, but I don't want to tell him I'm moving if it turns out I don't get approved again or somebody else gets chosen for the other place. If that becomes the case, I want to stay where I am.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:46 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueSoCal View Post
UIt seems like it would be better for my landlord to find out from me rather than from the other company, but I don't want to tell him I'm moving if it turns out I don't get approved again or somebody else gets chosen for the other place. If that becomes the case, I want to stay where I am.
Yes it would be better for him to hear it from you. Can't you tell him you are looking for another place and will give formal notice when you're sure?

Old 03-11-2012, 05:18 AM

11 posts, read 25,960 times
It is always better if you inform your landlord and tell him that you are looking for a new place and are planning to move due to the walls issue. There is no harm being honest about your plans and keep him in the loop. You can tell him you will be giving a months notice before leaving, so he will also be prepared about the same. It is good that you leave on a pleasant note. Also the background check ma happen for you, so its safer to inform.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:38 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Talk to the landlord and see if getting insulation in the walls is an option. I've done upgrades to a few apts I've lived in and they don't usually mind it if it makes an improvement.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:25 PM

The thicker-walled place isn't available after all, so it looks like I'll stick around here for a while. To tell the truth, I'd probably miss this place if I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles