Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 AM

76 posts, read 394,477 times

Advertisements

I know for a fact that the 405 N gets clogged during rush hour Friday, and it's not fun.

Does anyone here have an alternative to the parking lot clogged freeway? I'm trying to get from Westwood to Van Nuys Airport, and Sepulveda looks like an option but I've never taken it before. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 07:04 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,272 times
What time exactly? Especially with 405's construction projects, I'd imagine Sepulveda to be congested since it's widely used as an alternative. You could take any of a number of other roads over the Hollywood Hills, but they can also be slow and you still need to get to the airport. Frankly, I'd take the 405 and jump to Sepulveda (with many others) if traffic is bad enough. Others may know better.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:38 AM

164 posts, read 606,714 times
Beverly Glen --> Van Nuys Blvd --> Sherman Way.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:47 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
during commuting hours the canyon roads are as bad as the freeway, i've tried them all. just get on the 405 at the nearest entrance and deal with it, there's no easy way around it. exit the 405 at sherman way and you're there.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Probably around 3-4 PM when I'll be heading up. I'd planned to take Roscomare Rd. but since I've never driven up to the Valley around that time I have no idea how bad these inside roads are during rush hour. I know Wilshire Blvd and the 405 is a mess, same with Sunset with the construction going on there.

The important thing here is how long would it take to get from Westwood to Van Nuys during this hour via the 405 if I brave the mass of traffic? I'll be needing this to factor in how much time I need to get there.

Cars trying to get on the 405 from Wilshire backs up inside street traffic so much I recall it taking 50 minutes to get 2 miles out of Westwood to Santa Monica Blvd. Green lights yet the street's so clogged no direction can proceed. I seriously wished I had a bicycle at that time.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:19 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
if you take roscomare, i would get on the 405 at mulholland/skirball center and take the 405 the rest of the way. try to leave closer to 3 than 4, it will save you a lot of time. without traffic, that commute is probably under 30 minutes. during rush hour, i would budget at least an hour. however, it's taken me over an hour to get from nearby beverly hills to sepulveda/ventura when leaving around 4pm.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
if you take roscomare, i would get on the 405 at mulholland/skirball center and take the 405 the rest of the way. try to leave closer to 3 than 4, it will save you a lot of time. without traffic, that commute is probably under 30 minutes. during rush hour, i would budget at least an hour. however, it's taken me over an hour to get from nearby beverly hills to sepulveda/ventura when leaving around 4pm.
Yeah, I'd planned to hop on the 405 at that point too, since the traffic usually clears up--at least a bit--near that section of the freeway. It's usually getting on south of the Santa Monica Hills that is the problem. I'll factor in an hour and 15 mins since I'm driving from UCLA and Bel Air is literally right next to us. Hopefully that'll be enough to prevent any blood pressure from rising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles