U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 PM

47 posts, read 181,519 times

Advertisements

Hi,
There are some really great homes north of Ventura boulevard for $500K or so. What's wrong with this area? I know south of the boulevard is better but isn't that because of all the wealthier homes? For us common, poor folks is there anything to really be concerned about north? Is it safe? Would we be able to sell them in several years and recoup our money?

There are two homes in the 5800 blocks of Noble and Bevis that look really nice. Then some on Moorpark.

Could someone help me out here...I'm just not very familiar with the Sherman oaks area. We looked at some condo's south of Ventura and boy...you don't get much for $400K--and no homes to speak of.

Thanks for your help.

Linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:34 PM

6,245 posts, read 12,074,588 times
there's nothing wrong with the north of ventura areas in sherman oaks. i'd prefer to stay south of the 101, but even south of burbank is very nice. the area between burbank and oxnard used to be van nuys but was changed to sherman oaks a few years ago and there is a noticeable difference. however, my wife and i looked in these areas before we settled in encino in early 2011. we felt that the value was better in encino, but had no issues with sherman oaks (encino is probably 5-10% cheaper than sherman oaks for comparable properties). anyways, $500k will probably get you a decently updated house in the 1200-1500sf range in sherman oaks. in encino, this same price will get you a slightly larger updated house on a slightly larger lot.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM

119 posts, read 267,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
there's nothing wrong with the north of ventura areas in sherman oaks. i'd prefer to stay south of the 101, but even south of burbank is very nice. the area between burbank and oxnard used to be van nuys but was changed to sherman oaks a few years ago and there is a noticeable difference. however, my wife and i looked in these areas before we settled in encino in early 2011. we felt that the value was better in encino, but had no issues with sherman oaks (encino is probably 5-10% cheaper than sherman oaks for comparable properties). anyways, $500k will probably get you a decently updated house in the 1200-1500sf range in sherman oaks. in encino, this same price will get you a slightly larger updated house on a slightly larger lot.

wow, i never would have guessed. i would have guessed encino is more expensive south of ventura than Sherman Oaks is south of ventura.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:22 PM

26,362 posts, read 56,144,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2006 View Post
wow, i never would have guessed. i would have guessed encino is more expensive south of ventura than Sherman Oaks is south of ventura.

Closer to downtown, Burbank, Hollywood, and Pasadena? Don't have to negotiate the 101/405 interchange when heading east.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 AM

47 posts, read 181,519 times
Default Not sure I understand your reply...

Are you saying if you live in Encino you can avoid the 101/405 interchange...oh, I guess 'cuz you can go straight onto the 101. What's traffic like on 101 east in rush hour? Encino might be an option. thanks.

Linda

Old 02-08-2012, 01:59 PM

6,245 posts, read 12,074,588 times
i work near the sherman oaks galleria and although i don't take the freeway to get to the office, the residual traffic from the 101/405 interchange does slow my commute. however, it's not that bad, i've found some 'secret routes' to avoid the worst of it. on days when i have to go any further east than sepulveda, i use the 101. if you avoid the 3 lanes furthest to the right that transition to the 405, traffic moves decently. the 101 is still congested east of the 405, but it's not nearly as bad as the section west of the 405.

i'm happy to answer any additional questions you may have. my wife and i have settled into this part of the valley quite nicely. besides the summer heat, it's a very decent place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles