Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is la awful and would you prefer to live some place else ?
Yes get me out of here 8 25.81%
No way 23 74.19%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:21 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,227,113 times

Advertisements

No details? Two can play at that game.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:33 PM

62 posts, read 148,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I always appreciate worldly opinions from high school students.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 AM

24 posts, read 41,954 times
im disappointed by these responses but since you insist i will lay out my reasons

(in no order of importance)

1. Horrible State and local Government

California has one of the highest tax rates in the country and we are in some of the worst financial trouble (note illinois with similar circumstance) because democrats (and some RINOs like Awnold) love to spend spend spend california into the ground
no one can pass a decent budget plan to save their lives

Furthermore at the local level little has been done to confront the huge burden public unions put on the taxpayer the lausd is a great example of this (dont even get me started on the recent child abuse case)

Also my district neighbors Maxine Water's (ew)

Numero Dos) MExicans

"Well gee now that sounds a little racist!"

well let me explain my premise first before you make such a claim

the perpetual tsunami of illegal mexican immigrants has damaged this state (among others) very badly

they contribute largely to medicaid burden (largely funded by state) as well as overflow public schools
and create the need for expensive ESL programs because they cant even speak english
they are disproportionately more involved in gangs receive welfare and food stamps etc
furthermore they have little regard for the american way and have been hijacked by the dems
the immigrants from mexico (both legal and illegal) are basically all economic refugees from the bottom rungs of society (in mexico no less) who are taught from day one that republicans only care about the rich and the democrats have bleeding hearts for the poor this is untrue
but at any rate the result is overwhelming majority of democrat hispanic voters that have drastically changed the state from the one that elected reagan and believed they are entitled to something just because they are living in the united states
also for a lot of them they still have strong allegiance to mexico and have a negative sentiment towards the white men trying to bring them down

lastly this resentment towards illegal immigrants in particular (i have few qualms with legal immigrants)
is that i feel they have violated my nation and state
i think of america and california as my home
for someone to barge their way in and suck off entitlement programs outrages me

mexicans have hijacked my home and refuse (the majority of them) to assimilate
los angeles and the state have done little to nothing to deal with this (note prop 187 being shot down)
btw I am hispanic but my grandparents immigrated legally

Number 3) Crappy Air

Number 4) No seasons (plus or minus depending on who you are i prefer seasons)
Number 5) traffic sucks ( i have to commute like an hour to school)

let me know if i missed anything

Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,500,487 times
I've lived here my entire life, and (mostly because of the climate, but also because my kids are here) I have no intention of leaving! This is home to me, for better or for worse. I've learned to deal with the bad, and appreciate the good. The truth is that no place is paradise, so I've decided to make my home in the place with the best weather. (Obviously, the lack of seasons doesn't bother me in the least!)

Old 02-09-2012, 01:12 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,186,773 times
Since you've lived here all of your life, plus you're young, move away. Go to college out of state. See the world! Or at least the United States. You can always come back if you want.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:41 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,779,744 times
Flyover country is a big place. Lots of room.

Just sayin'.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:03 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,532,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Since you've lived here all of your life, plus you're young, move away. Go to college out of state. See the world! Or at least the United States. You can always come back if you want.
I was with you, right up until here.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:40 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,686,137 times
I agree, see the world, you can always go back if you decide.

Also, here is some food for thought: most of our ancestors came here to the USA as "economic refugees from the bottom rungs of society". I believe there were anti-German riots in the middle of the 19th century, or was it anti-Scottish?

You will find plenty of mexicanos and guatelmaltecos in all-American places such as Pennsylvania, too. And in CT. And OH. and MA. Many argentinos, too. And Brazilians aplenty.

Four seasons are not all that they are cracked up to be. Winter S&%$Ks. Snow is a four letter word. So is icey. 12 degrees F is not fun to deal with.

RE Traffic: Ever been on I-95 in south-western CT? or driven into Chicago? Lots of traffic every place you go.Also, CA doesn't have a monopoly on needing to commute.

Last edited by katnip kid; 02-09-2012 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: add to

Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,766,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letslearngerman View Post
im disappointed by these responses but since you insist i will lay out my reasons

California has one of the highest tax rates in the country and we are in some of the worst financial trouble (note illinois with similar circumstance) because democrats (and some RINOs like Awnold) love to spend spend spend california into the ground

Furthermore at the local level little has been done to confront the huge burden public unions put on the taxpayer the lausd is a great example of this (dont even get me started on the recent child abuse case)

How often do any of these things affect your, or your parents', daily lives? Honestly?

You can certainly move to another state, to a smaller town or city, where there is a smaller local government and due to a smaller statistical portrait of people, there's less variation on politics among the general populace - people vote in lockstep.

Now, here's the bigger question, and one that may not have dawned on you yet; and, as someone who has never lived outside of LA, I can guarantee you have absolutely no real perception of: opportunity. You can move to a place that has less property taxes, lower property values, a smaller government, etc., but will you be able to actually provide yourself with the standard of living you'd like?

Quote:
Numero Dos) MExicans

Yeah, it does sound a little racist, but it's also generally followed with a really, really stupid explanation/excuse... a lame attempt to cover crybaby finger-pointing to deflect one's own personal failures onto someone else.

However, I digress. Let's check your argument out here.

Quote:

the perpetual tsunami of illegal mexican immigrants has damaged this state (among others) very badly

they contribute largely to medicaid burden (largely funded by state) as well as overflow public schools

Quote:
and create the need for expensive ESL programs because they cant even speak english
Expensive? Our teachers don't get paid squat, no matter what they teach.

Public education offers kids that were born to illegals, one way or the other, an opportunity and avenue to integrate into American society and learn skills that will allow them to join the workforce, as Americans. Cutting funding diminishes this, and makes them less apt to see a clear road into mainstream American society. It lets them view society as one that rejects them and deprives or (as is the case with you, sorry) wishes to deprive them of the basic human rights that made and make America stand out among other nations.

This forments anger and defeatism among those kids: why bother trying to integrate, get a job, etc? No one wants to give them an opportunity because no one wants them; that's the message that they get from people with your attitude.

Quote:
they are disproportionately more involved in gangs receive welfare and food stamps etc
Illegals don't qualify for food stamps, EBT, etc. Their American-born children, who are American citizens according to the constitution, do qualify for food stamps and low-income care; however, most studies including one done by the USCIS indicates that illegals actually have a very low rate of welfare usage, because they are worried about the scrutiny that it would bring down on them from authorities.

RE: gangs, see my above answer. Deprive people of opportunities, they'll create their own. Welcome these kids into society, and they'll want to be a part of it; push them to the fringes and tell them they aren't welcome, and they'll hate it.

Quote:
furthermore they have little regard for the american way
This is a broadly pointless and erroneous argument that overlooks things like the value of hard work and manual labor to make end's meet. I have met countless immigrants from Central America, Asia, the Middle East, etc. who work their butts off and have a much greater respect and pride for this great nation than people like you do.

You see shame, you see the end of America, you feel marginalized because other people, not like you, are succeeding. You feel like you deserve a piece of the pie before it's even come out of the oven or you've even gotten to the table - you want a hand out. That guy with a straw hat, out mowing lawns in the valley in the middle of the summer? He's a hardworking man. Have some respect for him. He sees opportunity, he sees an avenue to make his life and the lives of his family members better, and he's working for it.

You also don't know what his legal status is.

Quote:
and have been hijacked by the dems
How can "the dems" hijack people who can't vote?

[quite]the immigrants from mexico (both legal and illegal) are basically all economic refugees from the bottom rungs of society (in mexico no less) who are taught from day one that republicans only care about the rich and the democrats have bleeding hearts for the poor this is untrue[/quote]
... well, it is true that the republicans only care about the rich, kid.

They don't give a crap about whether you have a job waiting for you after high school or college any more than they do about a kid with the last name Hernandez. They pander to disillusioned, short-sighted, and angry people like you, they play to your frustrations and fears, they make you feel as though they are stealing what is your god-given right.

They'll tell you that while they accept campaign contributions from a guy who used loop holes and tax write-offs to close an Amerian factory and write off the closing as business loss, and then shipped jobs over to China and wrote their investment in an often-hostile foreign land off as a "business expense."

Quote:
but at any rate the result is overwhelming majority of democrat hispanic voters that have drastically changed the state from the one that elected reagan
I took this picture when I was walking up Pico today. I wonder if you can see the irony of it?

Quote:
and believed they are entitled to something just because they are living in the united states
Like you?

Quote:
also for a lot of them they still have strong allegiance to mexico and have a negative sentiment towards the white men trying to bring them down
I would too, if I were an immigrant from Mexico or the child of Mexican immigrants and had to listen to people like you all day long.

Quote:
lastly this resentment towards illegal immigrants in particular (i have few qualms with legal immigrants)

los angeles and the state have done little to nothing to deal with this (note prop 187 being shot down)
All this California love, but it's awful here and you want to move away

Again, talking about mooching off of "entitlement programs" that most don't mooch off of, when you seem to have a sense of entitlement about things.

Quote:
Number 3) Crappy Air
It's never bothered me.

Quote:
Definite plus. I moved here from Boston; I never, ever want to deal with living in/through another winter where it snows and drops below zero, ever.

Quote:
It sucks in any big city worth its salt. If your commute is that bad, move closer to school, or go to a school that's closer.

Quote:
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you really are a teenager who just doesn't have enough perception of the world around you to make an informed opinion on any of the above. I was pretty damn conservative through my early-to-mid teens as well, in many ways. Getting out into the real world tends to do one of two things to you:

1. Opens your mind to how things really work and how the world really functions, and you change your beliefs, or;
2. Exposes you to how wrong you are, and you end up backtracking and trying to create excuses for your myopic and incorrect beliefs.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,478,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letslearngerman View Post

Numero Dos) MExicans

furthermore they have little regard for the american way and have been hijacked by the dems
the immigrants from mexico (both legal and illegal) are basically all economic refugees from the bottom rungs of society (in mexico no less) who are taught from day one that republicans only care about the rich and the democrats have bleeding hearts for the poor this is untrue
but at any rate the result is overwhelming majority of democrat hispanic voters that have drastically changed the state from the one that elected reagan and believed they are entitled to something just because they are living in the united states

Number 3) Crappy Air

Please come to New York City. We can always use some fresh meat. You can have our spot in paradise. We'll trade for the "hell" that is L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles