U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:43 AM

68 posts, read 97,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Oh I agree. In fact I drove along Broadway about a week ago. I actually have walked all over LA, as I am part of a group that explores neighborhood.

I am not in any way suggesting that all of LA is beautiful. I know plenty of it is rundown. But I still stand by, that its not on the level of midwest and northeast cities. Keep in mind I'm not saying that this is a good or bad thing. In midwest or northeast cities there seems to be a very clear distinction between good and bad neighborhoods. In LA you have more areas that are mixed and in between.

I guess what I was referring to was the fact that is was dark and rainy a lot of the time, with skyscrapers everywhere. When I think of New York I think of it more at night, and maybe raining.
Thank you for responding, and I'm glad you walk around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 07:25 PM

457 posts, read 630,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
I do not believe crime is on the decline. In fact, it's on the rise on the Westside, and people I talk to from other areas are seeing it rise as well, particularly in the valley. I believe the real crime stats are being hidden, just like Tony Villar's tattoos.

Furthermore, the infrastructure is not improving -- just looke at the roads, sidewalks, etc. and tell me this city isn't becoming more Third World by the day.
Just to keep things in perspective here's an actual developing country. Remind me again which area in LA looks like that.

Also, are you in that group who only believes bad news from the government? and is suspicious of anything positive. Its the same LAPD who said crime was bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Blade Runner is a joke in retrospect!-dharavi-industry-615-1-.jpg  

Old 03-26-2012, 03:30 AM

2,243 posts, read 3,448,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Just to keep things in perspective here's an actual developing country. Remind me again which area in LA looks like that.
There's no area in LA I've seen that looks like that. Remind me again where I said that there was?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:16 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,295,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilove View Post
I never said it has worsened. I simply said it's still there. And very visible in sections. Personally, and I've said this before, I love the feeling of Broadway as it is, but it seems to me that many deny the obvious- the years of decay that's plainly visible throughout Broadway and much of downtown.
A lot of people talk about how it's changing. Yes, I'm sure it is. But Broadway specifically still holds with it much of the feeling of Blade Runner. Beyond that, over by the toy district and Chinatown, it continues.
The one thing that actually makes it more like the world of Blade Runner now is the rising population, but aside from that the urban decay is tempered by areas of gentrification and "revitalization".
And no one can deny Skid Row's influence on downtown. If you walk around it, it's right in your face, whether you choose to ignore it or not.
The whole theme of this thread is the trend and general direction of Los Angeles, specifically downtown, as it relates to the likelihood of its descent in to a nightmare predicted in an overrated movie.

Believe me, I'm aware of skid row, please do not lecture me. In fact, folks are ignoring it LESS now. The same gentrification that is often dismissed as ephemeral is also causing a heightened awareness of homelessness and mental health services, as a more broad segment of our city witnesses those realities on a daily basis.

Beyond that, even framing these problems as city-specific is improper. Those people were not born or raised on those streets. Itís regional and national shame, and dismissing it as the City of LA's problem alone is wrong. I know you did not imply that it was, but awareness is essential. And awareness is greater now.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:47 PM

68 posts, read 97,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
The whole theme of this thread is the trend and general direction of Los Angeles, specifically downtown, as it relates to the likelihood of its descent in to a nightmare predicted in an overrated movie.

Believe me, I'm aware of skid row, please do not lecture me. In fact, folks are ignoring it LESS now. The same gentrification that is often dismissed as ephemeral is also causing a heightened awareness of homelessness and mental health services, as a more broad segment of our city witnesses those realities on a daily basis.

Beyond that, even framing these problems as city-specific is improper. Those people were not born or raised on those streets. Itís regional and national shame, and dismissing it as the City of LA's problem alone is wrong. I know you did not imply that it was, but awareness is essential. And awareness is greater now.
I apologize. I didn't mean to sound like I was lecturing you. What I should have written is "...Whether one chooses to ignore it not."
That being said, if awareness is being raised, that's of course a good thing.
All in all, Blade Runner is not a precise prediction of anything, and I don't think it ever intended to be. You call it overrated, I call it a visceral experience on the screen.
You said it was predicting a descent into a nightmare. As a whole the city and downtown LA is not at all going in that direction. But at the same time, I think that many individual cases of people on the streets downtown embody a nightmare far worse than Blade Runner, or any science fiction film could portray.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,167,820 times
Great movie, but they probably should have set it in the year 2119 instead.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 PM

528 posts, read 967,866 times
Walmart and Target are moving into downtown LA. I think that pretty much says it all about how Blade Runner missed the boat completely.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:38 AM

9,197 posts, read 13,468,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Walmart and Target are moving into downtown LA. I think that pretty much says it all about how Blade Runner missed the boat completely.
Not really - it's just another sign of the coming apocalypse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or