U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 04:27 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,470,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
if you work in manhattan beach, this would be a hellish commute around the peninsula or on the 110/405.
Not all that bad, for PV anyway. You get used to it if you live out there. One doesn't necessarily need to get on the freeway to get to MB anyway.

Dealing with a commute from PV to downtown L.A., OTOH, would be hellish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 4,568 times
Thanks for the info...think she'll feel a bit better about it. Maybe I won't mention the $1.5 to her. I could get lucky and she'll find want she wants at a much lower number (and then we'll both be happy)...

Old 02-17-2012, 04:31 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,425,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLH View Post
Should have been more specific. Sorry. Probably need about 3000+ square feet and at least a small yard. Family loves beach, sports, outdoors...all the stuff I remember loving about Manhattan Beach. Commute will be the big driver for me (no pun)...may 30-45 minutes at the most.
while homes do exist that meet your requirements, the inventory is of for sale homes is quite small Real Estate Search | Redfin

Old 02-17-2012, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,523 times
I live in Palos Verdes and love it. You'll get more house for your money compared to Manhattan Beach and I think the schools are better. Depending on where you live in PV I would estimate a commute to MB from PV during rush hour to be 40 minutes, but no freeway which is good in my opinion. For people who commute regularly via the freeways (i.e. downtown LA) the distance to the freeways is an issue, for the rest of us it's a blessing.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:56 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,304,082 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info...think she'll feel a bit better about it. Maybe I won't mention the $1.5 to her. I could get lucky and she'll find want she wants at a much lower number (and then we'll both be happy)...
Within a 30 minute rush hour commute to Manhattan Beach you will get the most for your money(and BTW, these are all nice areas) in:

Torrance: Great schools

Your money won't go as far:

El Segundo: Also great schools
Redondo Beach: very good schools
Playa Del Rey/Westchester: Will have to pay for private schools, but one Westbluff has very nice homes
Palos Verdes: Excellent schools, just a bit isolated.

Your money will go less far in Manhattan Beach which has excellent schools also.

Sample homes:

Playa Del Rey(One West Bluff) - 1.65 Million
7351 COASTAL VIEW Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90045 | MLS# 11-559513

El Segundo

512 LOMA VISTA St, El Segundo, CA 90245 | MLS# S11109107

Manhattan Beach

1451 5TH St, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266 | MLS# S11131915

Torrance

3872 NEWTON St, Torrance, CA 90503 | MLS# S11003849

Redondo Beach

844 AVENUE B, Redondo Beach, CA 90277 | MLS# S11125729

Palos Verdes

39 NUVOLA Ct, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275 | MLS# V11049212

FYI, do not feel like you are selling yourself short if the Torrance homes are what you settle on. That particular Torrance home is in one of the nicest areas to live in in the world IMO. Yes the ocean views PV provides are nothing short of AMAZING, but Torrance is a very nice area, with great public schoolsl and lots of shopping/restaurants/etc. And you would be right near some great beaches too.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:44 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
I'm considering a move from central Texas to take a job in Manahattan Beach. I lived in Manhattan beach about 20 years ago...absolutely loved it. Worked in Burbank...hated that. The commute left me almost too drained to enjoy being home. A lot has changed in 20 years...a wife, two young boys, three dogs and lots of "stuff".

My wife is terrified. She's lived in big cities (Houston), but not like this. We would be moving from one of the least expensive areas of the country to one of the most expensive. We've got a nice home on two acres of land, good job, a 20-minute commute,etc. If this opportunity was anywhere in Texas, it would be a no-brainer.

Theoretically, we could buy a home up to $1.5 million (or even $1.8 on a stretch). Being from Texas, it makes my head pound to even think of a number that high. Where should I put my family to give them that lifestyle I remember (within reason and within our means) and has them wondering why it took us so long to get here?
The lifestyle you remember 20 years ago does not exist anymore, partly because you are 20 years older and you can't turn the clock around..That being said, consintrate on the best schools first, prepare your wife for what you will get in housing and point out all the positives. This is a chance for your family to experience a totally new lifestyle. BTW, don't tell your wife this, but I would never move back from Texas to Ca, but that is me and you are a different person obviously. Let me add, unless you want a home that might need a little TLC 3000 sq ft isn't going to be easy..

Old 02-20-2012, 10:04 AM

5 posts, read 6,812 times
3000+ sqft? You do realize this is Southern California, right? Most of us live in much smaller houses and postage stamp sized lots, approx 5-7K sf. Since you'll be working in MB, I don't think you'll need to worry about the freeway much. MB is very upscale, expensive, and congested. Hermosa Beach is more laid back and a little less congested, meaning the houses don't take up the entire lot. Redondo Beach is less expensive on the north side of town, with average single family homes. South Redondo is like living in a European village with expensive homes on the hillsides or you can get a smaller home 1,000-2000 sf in the "Avenues". These 3 beach cities are all next to each other so you could bike to work if you wanted to. Another option is El Segundo with a cute downtown, but the Chevron Refinery looms over the town which decreases its charm. Torrance is the inland city for most of the beach cities I mentioned and a basic house is very affordable at around $500-600K+. There's a lot to choose from, but you'll have to get used to the smaller houses and lots and concentrate on the amenities you want. Find a good realtor to help you navigate the area.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 2,487,721 times
Quote:
I'm considering a move from central Texas to take a job in Manahattan Beach. I lived in Manhattan beach about 20 years ago...absolutely loved it. Worked in Burbank...hated that. The commute left me almost too drained to enjoy being home. A lot has changed in 20 years...a wife, two young boys, three dogs and lots of "stuff".

My wife is terrified. She's lived in big cities (Houston), but not like this. We would be moving from one of the least expensive areas of the country to one of the most expensive. We've got a nice home on two acres of land, good job, a 20-minute commute,etc. If this opportunity was anywhere in Texas, it would be a no-brainer.

Theoretically, we could buy a home up to $1.5 million (or even $1.8 on a stretch). Being from Texas, it makes my head pound to even think of a number that high. Where should I put my family to give them that lifestyle I remember (within reason and within our means) and has them wondering why it took us so long to get here?
I think you are in for a rough one. Yes Manhattan Beach is still one of the most desirable places, full of life and energy with fantastic weather. But it doesn't seem likely that you will find anything that will satisfy the 3000sqft home on 2 acres feeling. People in Manhattan Beach aren't the type that want large spreads. The value there is outside the door and in the city or the beach. As others have said, I also think your best bet is Palos Verdes Peninsula area. You will give up the walking access to the beach for larger homes and larger lots in quieter neighborhoods, well except for the peacocks.

There is a simple law of housing. The more desirable a place, the more expensive it is going to be. Sometimes people want a big house on a big property no matter where it is. Those are the ones that seem to struggle with home prices in desirable areas such as Manhattan Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or