U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 11:52 PM

3 posts, read 2,897 times

Advertisements

I just verbally accepted (haven't signed yet) a job in LA. My job will entail sometimes driving to clients and sometimes working from home. I asked where the majority of clients are and was told told North LA/San Fernando Valley. My brother, sister-in-law and 2 little nieces live in Murrieta so I want to be able to visit them on many weekends.

I'm really freaking out after looking at rent prices. I am moving from an income tax free country although I am originally from the US. I used to live in San Diego area so I'm already scared about prices and traffic but LA seems to be like 10x as worse in both areas. I normally had 2+ bedroom apartments while living in the US although I have a one bedroom now. With working from home, I'd rather have a 2 bdr or lg 1 bdr with room for a lg desk. I want a washer/dryer in apt, parking, would be estatic if I had a separate shower/tub. Would prefer not to spend more than about $1500/mo. Right now I pay $2050 for a large-ish one bedroom "executive" style fully furnished place. But I think my net pay will decrease from 40-50%.

So, any ideas on where I should be looking?

Thank for any suggestions. Getting lost!

Stefanie

Last edited by Stef315; 02-20-2012 at 12:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 12:39 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,525,339 times
If you dont mind a little bit of a commute, I would recommend Santa Clarita, CA. It is just ten minutes north of the San Fernando Valley and very safe for a single female. It is picturesque, Southern California suburbia at its finest !

Old 02-20-2012, 03:49 PM

I did see that Santa Clarita looked to be a bit more affordable than some places too. The only thing I didn't like is that it was even further from my brother's place. In the end, I have to choose a place that's convenient for work. My sister-in-law will not want to drive to far with 2 little ones though which means I will drive there. When I lived there before, there were times I went to their place almost every weekend!

I will look some more at Santa Clarita though. Thanks!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,365,171 times
Do you have any interests, hobbies, lifestyle choices?

If you're pretty much conventional then sure, Santa Clarita. If you like some interesting stuff you could consider Sherman Oaks or Studio City (in the valley) or Hollywood (just over the hill)

Old 02-21-2012, 01:48 AM

I play poker. I also like to visit my family. Other than that I'm pretty open to new things. I'm not an arty type but don't mind seeing exhibits, shows, etc. Does that make sense? Right now I live on an island in the Caribbean and the only thing to do is drink really. I'm a bit sick of drinking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or