Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Los Angeles: traffic, real estate, mortgage, metropolitan city, earthquake survival.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 07:42 PM

29 posts, read 122,502 times

Advertisements

Brainwashed locals, it's a free world, and you can continue to defend your city to the end; ignorance is bliss, and you can continue to live that way.

This post is for those thinking of moving to L.A.. If you want to work in entertainment, get on over here. This is one of the best cities in the world for artists and creative types. If you are in another industry, consider San Fran or San Diego. Consider anywhere else than L.A..

What can you do. I grew up in Pennsylvania, and many people I grew up with still live there. They love the state and they may die there. That's just how some people are. So these locals I'm refering to are in L.A. as well, and they love their crappy city. Like I said, ignorance is bliss.

What's to love:
Surfers and swimmers get sick in the bay because water is so polluted. After a rain, the bay is too polluted to swim in. If your going to swim, use this:
Heal the Bay | Beach Report Card | Weekly - Grade Map for Los Angeles County, CA (except Long Beach)
There is a reason why one of the L.A. surf spots is called the "sh#$ pipe". It's because the city puts it's pollution in the bay. Awesome!

Air quality is lower in L.A. than any other city; look it up.

The metro is non-existent to most. Most commute 45 minutes to an hour, some longer.

Vegas; San Diego; Big Bear; any well known city event; it takes half a day to get to. The streets become a parking lot during parades and events. And it's more than most cities...

Salaries are not comparable to other large cities; look it up, the census bureau

Cost of living is screwed up...
The average salary in Burbank and Glendale is 60k, average houses are 550-800k. This is not normal. Your stupid and ignorant if you think it is. Check out your wonderful L.A. city on the census bureau ; look up the average salary.

One of the worst educational systems in the U.S.. Look it up.

The list goes on and on. If your thinking of moving to L.A., look all this up and more. You'll see for yourself. Be very careful. L.A. is a wacky place.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:02 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
Steveopolis?? join date september 07 and one post? sounds like youre somebody else on this forum who goes by the name of Steve
You are probably right. Very troll like, out-of-nowhere post. It's weird how LA generates such emotional and resentful reactions from people who know little about the place and who have never even visited or laid eyes on it.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:06 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
L.A. is a wacky place.
No, your random tirade is what's wacky.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:35 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
LOL,I don't live in L.A,but I think it's Wonderful there

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Sorry mate, but he's already qualified you as brainwashed. You dont seem to know anything.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:37 PM

L.A has gone through so many rapid changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
You need to study on the history of Los Angeles. People are idiots because they like to talk a lot out their minds and dont know *****!! Why is public transportation bad in Los Angeles? and why isnt the city concentrated in one place like most cities?? because Los Angeles was not supposed to be a major city! thats why its commonly refered as an "unplanned" city! If you dont like Los Angeles and like NYC...I dont know what youre talking about. Also, Los Angeles is going through A LOT of changes but it has been since it was founded! writers who write about Los Angeles and its history often write "Its so hard to write about Los Angeles because by the time you're work is published it isn't quite accurate anymore."

Old 09-06-2007, 11:48 PM

L.A has it's Glitches,but so does every other City...The Locals don't mind if others don't like living in L.A,but when you continue to Bash the City and yet remain there,then it becomes bothersome,and The Locals also don't like it when you Generalize an Entire Region or the Millions who live there based on your Bad Experiences.

Quote:
Brainwashed locals, it's a free world, and you can continue to defend your city to the end; ignorance is bliss, and you can continue to live that way.

This post is for those thinking of moving to L.A.. If you want to work in entertainment, get on over here. This is one of the best cities in the world for artists and creative types. If you are in another industry, consider San Fran or San Diego. Consider anywhere else than L.A..

What can you do. I grew up in Pennsylvania, and many people I grew up with still live there. They love the state and they may die there. That's just how some people are. So these locals I'm refering to are in L.A. as well, and they love their crappy city. Like I said, ignorance is bliss.

What's to love:
Surfers and swimmers get sick in the bay because water is so polluted. After a rain, the bay is too polluted to swim in. If your going to swim, use this:
Heal the Bay | Beach Report Card | Weekly - Grade Map for Los Angeles County, CA (except Long Beach)
There is a reason why one of the L.A. surf spots is called the "sh#$ pipe". It's because the city puts it's pollution in the bay. Awesome!

The metro is non-existent to most. Most commute 45 minutes to an hour, some longer.

Vegas; San Diego; Big Bear; any well known city event; it takes half a day to get to. The streets become a parking lot during parades and events. And it's more than most cities...

Salaries are not comparable to other large cities; look it up, the census bureau

The average salary in Burbank and Glendale is 60k, average houses are 550-800k. This is not normal. Your stupid and ignorant if you think it is. Check out your wonderful L.A. city on the census bureau ; look up the average salary.

The list goes on and on. If your thinking of moving to L.A., look all this up and more. You'll see for yourself. Be very careful. L.A. is a wacky place.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:16 AM

705 posts, read 3,298,304 times
Quote:

What's to love:

yeah..and you can live on living your life talking crap about Los Angeles but what is that gonna do?? Los Angeles is always gonna be an Alpha world city and people are gonna keep on moving here! My neighbors just moved from Nevada, I know others who moved from Texas and a good friend of mine is originally from Chicago but he plans on moving back to Los Angeles. I work in Santa Monica which is a BIG tourist destination and I meet people from Europe, Asia, Latin America and all over the country and they always tell me that Los Angeles is a beautiful city and how they want to come back and visit once again. All your stupid arguments are irrelevant even IF they are true or not because people are still moving to Los Angeles...like it or not. Its just sad to see someone make up another identity to talk crap about another city. What? do you still live with youre Mom and daddy?? that you have enough time to investigate so much on one city.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:50 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:

What's to love:

I've lived a bunch of places too -- and I also currently live in Glendale.

I hope anyone who shares your views WON'T move here, regardless of the entertainment industry. If they are in the entertainment industry, they can move to Florida!!

Quote:
Vegas; San Diego; Big Bear; any well known city event; it takes half a day to get to.
Well, YEAH!! Las Vegas is in the STATE of NEVADA! If you didn't know! It's over 300 miles from here! Did you think you could just beam yourself over there and be there in 5 minutes??!! You could hop a plane if you wanted to and it's only an hours flight!

And San Diego is another city 100+ miles from here! Did you ever think of taking the train??!!

You really should move to an area where you can live in a gated community. I think that would suit you best because you wouldn't have to worry about who is living next to you. (Do I live next to you? Should I move? You sound SO angry!)

Old 09-07-2007, 05:29 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,853 times
Personally I can't wait to move to L.A. My wife and I are moving in June next year and our savings is right on schedule with everything else. I love L.A., yeah it can be a little "wacky" but that's the beauty in it, it's not a cookie-cutter city like many other cities. NYC is pure crap. I hate it there. I hate everything about NYC and the east coast for that matter, that's why we would NEVER live there, but I'm not gonna go any further into WHY I hate it because someone might like it there and I respect that.

You mentioned Miami...ok, I'm not even go there in this one. You say L.A. has crime and gangs???

Pennsylvania is different than the rest of the midwest. I've been there and it was quite nice, aside from the thick air in Pittsburg (harder to breathe in than L.A. for me anyways) it is a pretty state with somewhat friendly people (unlike here in Indiana) but I'd never live there.

To eachs own and I dont take offense (not that it matters) to your opinions, thats the beauty of free speech. Actually I agree with alot of what you say, the house prices are pathetic, BUT, you get what you pay for. Here in Indiana it looks good to the outsiders cuz they can buy a 4 bedroom house brand new in the country loaded for under $200K. but you then are stuck staring at a cornfield and dealing with small minded townies who are all in your business.

I have worked with people from Cali...they have all went back to Cali. They hated living there because cost of living was so high so they ventured to Indiana... they seen the corn, they seen the tractors, they dealt with the rednecks, they tried to deal with 6 months of gloomy cold icy weather, they tried Lake Michigan as a substitute for the ocean, they got tired of having to be on depression meds and went back home...to Cali.
This was all over a 5-6 year period but every one of them loved it here for a few months then started to get depressed. When I leave L.A. and get back here I get very very depressed. L.A. is a great city and with ALL big cities it will have it's issues, but per capita our little midwest hicktown has a higher crime rate.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:55 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
Personally I can't wait to move to L.A. My wife and I are moving in June next year and our savings is right on schedule with everything else. I love L.A., yeah it can be a little "wacky" but that's the beauty in it, it's not a cookie-cutter city like many other cities. NYC is pure crap. I hate it there. I hate everything about NYC and the east coast for that matter, that's why we would NEVER live there, but I'm not gonna go any further into WHY I hate it because someone might like it there and I respect that.

You mentioned Miami...ok, I'm not even go there in this one. You say L.A. has crime and gangs???

Pennsylvania is different than the rest of the midwest. I've been there and it was quite nice, aside from the thick air in Pittsburg (harder to breathe in than L.A. for me anyways) it is a pretty state with somewhat friendly people (unlike here in Indiana) but I'd never live there.

To eachs own and I dont take offense (not that it matters) to your opinions, thats the beauty of free speech. Actually I agree with alot of what you say, the house prices are pathetic, BUT, you get what you pay for. Here in Indiana it looks good to the outsiders cuz they can buy a 4 bedroom house brand new in the country loaded for under $200K. but you then are stuck staring at a cornfield and dealing with small minded townies who are all in your business.

I have worked with people from Cali...they have all went back to Cali. They hated living there because cost of living was so high so they ventured to Indiana... they seen the corn, they seen the tractors, they dealt with the rednecks, they tried to deal with 6 months of gloomy cold icy weather, they tried Lake Michigan as a substitute for the ocean, they got tired of having to be on depression meds and went back home...to Cali.
This was all over a 5-6 year period but every one of them loved it here for a few months then started to get depressed. When I leave L.A. and get back here I get very very depressed. L.A. is a great city and with ALL big cities it will have it's issues, but per capita our little midwest hicktown has a higher crime rate.
Hehe! Well, I hope you end up loving it here too -- but you probably won't end up being a homeowner anytime soon. Houses are just too expensive! (But you can always save your money and hope to buy somewhere later, which is what a lot of people do.)

LA is definitely interesting simply because there are an amazing number of things to do around here -- and not just for people who love the beach or love snow skiing -- there is just a lot of things to see and do around here! Tons of museums! Lots of ethnic areas! Lots of shopping places! Lots of places to go on day trips! (Yeah, Big Bear would be one of them.) You can even go out and sit by the red carpet when they have the Academy Awards and see all those stars!

On the flip side, you'll probably meet a lot of people who don't speak English. Eventually, you'll learn a few words in other languages and you'll learn to smile and communicate. (I think this is one of the few areas in the country where you can learn Chinese or Korean and actually be able to practice it quite often with others who speak the languages natively.)

Anyway, all depending on how open you are, -- well, that will determine if you love or hate LA. There is a lot to love out here if you can maintain an open mind and a sense of humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles