U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Los Angeles: traffic, real estate, mortgage, metropolitan city, earthquake survival.

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2007, 09:05 AM
 
29 posts, read 96,071 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

I stand corrected on the parade thing; the rose parade is a pretty huge thing. I've just never went because you need to camp out over night to get a spot, and then driving out is 2-3 hours. Typical of L.A. events. NYC, Macy's parade, in and out on the subway in 20 minutes to almost anywhere in NYC. Guess some people will never understand the comparison.

 
Old 09-08-2007, 12:13 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
1,288 posts, read 3,631,921 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
I've lived all over the U.S. and overseas, from NYC, Miami, Manila, Shanghai, and many more places. L.A. is a crazy place, and it reflects 2nd world countries more than the rest of the U.S..
LA is second world? Then I guess after visiting New York (Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens), Baltimore, Gary, Detroit, Southside of Chciago, Miami, etc. all those would be third world

You need to see the U.S. more.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
There are very very bad areas of L.A.
Yes, most large urban areas have very bad areas. What's new. As I said, you need to see the U.S. more. LA's bad areas pale in comparison to those in East Coast and Midwestern cities.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
There is a reason why one of the L.A. surf spots is called the "sh#$ pipe". It's because the city puts it's pollution in the bay. Awesome!
And where do you think New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Houston and every other major city in the U.S. near a body of water is pumping its
sewage, Sherlock?


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
I am not a hater, I'm a realist. Many L.A. locals, such as on these boards hate to hear reality. It's friggin reality people, deal with it. L.A. is a better place to live than Detroit or many other cities, but it ain't no San Fran, NYC, Atlanta, or even a Miami.
Oh you are definitely a hater. No doubt about that. And why on earth would LA want or need to be NYC, San Francisco, Atlanta, or Miami? New York is a hell hole, and San Francisco, Atlanta and Miami all have worse crime than LA. On top of that Miami is one of the poorest, most ghetto, crime ridden major cities in the U.S. The fact that you would even put it or Altanta on a pedastal above LA is a joke and completely laughable. And the last time I checked, folks from these cities, especially New York, move to LA in the thousands seeking refuge and a better quality of life.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
Many fail to get the picture. Just read the post above by CBaillo if you don't get it. L.A. is better than many places, but it's worse than many. Is L.A. a better place than Erie PA, hell YA! I've lived there as well. If you don't get it, then you are seriously brainwashed, and your hopeless.
This is an incredibly stupid statement. Fail to get what picture? The same could be said for New York, Atlanta, San Francisco and Miami. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
Air quality is lower in L.A. than any other city; look it up.
Air quality in LA has improved enormously over the years. I don't get what your point is. So should we move to another city you claim to be better to live in like New York which is equally polluted? Is that your idea of a step up? Not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
Salaries are not comparable to other large cities; look it up
You are so off base, salaries in LA in nearly every professional category are among the highest in the nation. You look it up!


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
Cost of living is screwed up...
The average salary in Burbank and Glendale is 60k, average houses are 550-800k. This is not normal. Your stupid and ignorant if you think it is. Check out your wonderful L.A. city on the census bureau ; look up the average salary.
Normal for whom? Your analysis is what is stupid and ignorant. It's called supply and demand. The basic concept of Econ 101. There is no correlation between avarage income and median home prices. Average income is not what determines property values.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
One of the worst educational systems in the U.S.. Look it up.
In comparison to whom? One of the cities you think we should all be moving to like New York, Altanta, or Miami? LOL


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
yes, the metro is one of the worst in the world for a city this size. The train system is pathetic and almost non-existent for most.
That's because most people in LA drive and prefer to do so. HELLO. Do your homework on LA transportation history and trends. On top of that, LA Metro is a work-in-progress. LA is a young city in terms of growth, with an ever increasing population, so Metro is expanding as an alternative form of transportation. But it will NEVER replace people's preference to commute by car, which is the case in most all other U.S. cities as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
no Pro Football team, no good parades, no great cultural centers
LA doens't need a pro football team. Besides, that's the NFL's problem. LA has the Trojans (the #1 football team in college sports) and the Bruins both of which attract more than 90,000 plus fans to their home games. And the Dodges, Angels, Kings, Lakers, Clippers, Ducks, Galaxy etc. all have among the best attendance records in their respective leagues.

You really don't live in LA, as I suspect. But the Rose parade is one of the oldest, biggest, and most watched annual parades in the world.

No great cultural centers? The Getty, LACMA, Norton Simon, Huntington, Hammer, LA Public Libray, Disney Hall, LA Philharmonic, LA Opera, MOCA, The Geffen. The list is endless. Oh, I guess you think one of your favorite cities like Mimai, Altanta, or San Francisco has more to offer? LOL You really are displaying your cultural illiteracy here. And further proof that you don't really live in LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
L.A. is not even tracked half the time by the media, because the crime in the city is ridiculous to the general public and media.
LA is not tracked by the media? Another ignorant and rediculous statement. Why don't you do a Google news search and see how many stories there are involving LA. LA is the secod largest media market in the U.S. The LA Times has the third highest circulation in the U.S., all of the major news networks routinely beam from LA or feature LA based reporters, correspondents, and experts, and some national news shows are based in LA like Larry King not to mention nearly all of the entertainment oriented news shows.

As for crime, another example of your misinformed hyperbole, LA is one of the safest big cities in America. It's not even in the top 100 most dangerous cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
The L.A. riots < my ass L.A. is a racially tolerant city. Racism abounds.
The LA Riots occured how many years ago? And racism abounds in LA in comparison to where? Atlanta? So acute racial segration like you see in most East Coast, Southern and Midwestern cities is not a form or a result of racism? Do you know what country you are in? HELLO This is America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
What can you do. I grew up in Pennsylvania,
Well that explains a lot. Pennsylvania, the state that wish it could. Philadelphia, like Miami, one of the poorest, most crime ridden cities in all of the U.S. And, Pittsburgh.... Need I say more? If I were from such a lackluster and pathetic state, I guess I would probably be in LA too, just like you are pretending to be. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
Most move to L.A. as tranplants (like myself) and they could care less for the city.
That's the most honest thing you've said. So why are you here? I really don't believe you truly live here anyway. You are trolling, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
Brainwashed locals, it's a free world, and you can continue to defend your city to the end; ignorance is bliss
Ignorance is bliss indeed, as you have so ably demonstrated.

Brainwashed locals? Please, the LA thread is the most honest on City Data. The good, bad, and ugly about this city is on display and talked about openly on this forum everyday with a wide variety perspectives represented, pro and con.

Had you posted your trashtalking, flame throwing, troll like, rant in another forum, it would have been closed by now.

Last edited by TheRealAngelion; 09-08-2007 at 12:22 PM..
 
Old 09-08-2007, 12:26 PM
 
29 posts, read 96,071 times
Reputation: 38
TheRealAngelion vbmenu_register("postmenu_1453929", true);
I've lived in many of the places you claim; in the U.S. and abroad. Not visited, lived! Read the earlier posts before you claim what I know. I state facts, look it all up.
Pollution
Education system
Crime
Transit
Cost of living (foreclosures)

Don't be ignorant, look it all up. I know you love your city, but it ain't the best I've lived in. Sorry you don't like that, and I've lived all over the place.
 
Old 09-08-2007, 12:29 PM
 
29 posts, read 96,071 times
Reputation: 38
ohh, and two words for you on college football

Florida Gators

[Mod cut; personal attack] don't you know your team lost last year.

Last edited by SandyCo; 09-08-2007 at 05:57 PM..
 
Old 09-08-2007, 12:33 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
1,288 posts, read 3,631,921 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
Don't be ignorant, look it all up. I know you love your city, but it ain't the best I've lived in. Sorry you don't like that, and I've lived all over the place.
Dude, get a life and an education. You look it all up. And stop pretending you live in LA.
 
Old 09-08-2007, 12:39 PM
 
29 posts, read 96,071 times
Reputation: 38
What's funny, is I do live in L.A. Not everyone in L.A. is in love with it. I work with many transplants in the entertainment industry. We are here for the work and disappointed in the city.

What's even funnier, is my opinion, even though it's opposite of many born and raised in L.A., is yet an opinion and it angers you to no end. It's an opinion; this is a forum. One more time, an opinion. I think you have an anger issue dude.
 
Old 09-08-2007, 12:44 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
1,288 posts, read 3,631,921 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
What's funny, is I do live in L.A. Not everyone in L.A. is in love with it. I work with many transplants in the entertainment industry. We are here for the work and disappointed in the city.

What's even funnier, is my opinion, even though it's opposite of many born and raised in L.A., is yet an opinion and it angers you to no end. It's an opinion; this is a forum. One more time, an opinion. I think you have an anger issue dude.
No, I am offering my opinion. Just like you. [mod cut; orphaned] And by the way, read the paper and the Internet. USC is ranked number one by all major polls. Another thing you need to look up.

Last edited by SandyCo; 09-08-2007 at 05:59 PM..
 
Old 09-08-2007, 12:47 PM
 
1,398 posts, read 4,743,533 times
Reputation: 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
...That's because most people in LA drive and prefer to do so. HELLO. Do your homework on LA transportation history and trends. On top of that, LA Metro is a work-in-progress...
You really don't live in LA, as I suspect.. And further proof that you don't really live in LA.... As for crime, another example of your misinformed hyperbole, LA is one of the safest big cities in America. It's not even in the top 100 most dangerous cities.
...The LA Riots occured how many years ago? And racism abounds in LA in comparison to where?
The fury answering a poster proves the above is not our best advocate for the reality of modern Los Angeles. Some facts:
Los Angeles used to have one of the best public transportation systems in the country. A primary reason that L.A. is so spread out is because this early system was as well. It was dismantled in the 1950's when it was sold to private companies, with the suspicion that tire companies promoting auto travel were at the helm. I would love to go by metro train to, say, 3 different local errands from the S.F. Valley to West Los Angeles and elsewhere. Can't. Doesn't exist. Used to!

You don't live in Los Angeles either. Visiting a place even on a regular basis is like being a grandparent rather than a parent: you can take off whenever you wish to get away from the stress. We can't.

We've already discussed the crime stats in the myriad gang threads. The overriding problem with national crime stats is that Los Angeles' different communities within L.A. county are statistically segregated and not added up, swaying the curve away from Pacoima's or Compton's dire reality. Crime is more than fait accompli homicide. Police helicopters circling every night after gangbangers is a loss of quality of life not shared universally in the urban strata of middle-class living.

Lastly, every urban sociologist notes the odd antagonism within L.A.'s vaunted diversity, with the kindest euphemism being "uneasily" to describe how we all get along, to quote the other King. I wouldn't describe my own experiences, such as being spit on by foreign nationals hissing at me in a foreign language or pushing me off the sidewalk when I walk by as an innocent pedestrian (and middle-aaged Caucasian female) as indicative of universal understanding. I guess you'd have to live here to know that one.
 
Old 09-08-2007, 12:49 PM
CLQ
 
207 posts, read 782,749 times
Reputation: 109
Default Jaded people of LA

I was born and raised in LA and was fortunate enough to experience 13 years of living between New Zealand and Hawaii. Both beautiful and friendly places. If I have not lived elsewhere, I would not have known better. I was once a pompous, materialistic, self-righteous person myself prior to moving so I know the kind here and they love themselves and do not like to hear that there are other places to live FAR SUPERIOR to LA. I really noticed the difference when I moved back. I too work in entertainment and the majority of the people are JADED!!!

I agree, if you don't need to live here in LA, strongly consider San Diego or San Francisco if you want to move to California. SF has more of a "big city" feel and SD is for the beach lovers or those who enjoy the outdoors - cleaner and not nearly as congested. If you are considering a move to LA because of the beaches, it's not worth it. They are DIRTY and there is a good chance you will get sick. Ask the surfers.

On a positive note, LA is not the worst place to live due to the weather. However, air quality is poor.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
Brainwashed locals, it's a free world, and you can continue to defend your city to the end; ignorance is bliss, and you can continue to live that way.

This post is for those thinking of moving to L.A.. If you want to work in entertainment, get on over here. This is one of the best cities in the world for artists and creative types. If you are in another industry, consider San Fran or San Diego. Consider anywhere else than L.A..

What can you do. I grew up in Pennsylvania, and many people I grew up with still live there. They love the state and they may die there. That's just how some people are. So these locals I'm refering to are in L.A. as well, and they love their crappy city. Like I said, ignorance is bliss.

What's to love:
Surfers and swimmers get sick in the bay because water is so polluted. After a rain, the bay is too polluted to swim in. If your going to swim, use this:
Heal the Bay | Beach Report Card | Weekly - Grade Map for Los Angeles County, CA (except Long Beach)
There is a reason why one of the L.A. surf spots is called the "sh#$ pipe". It's because the city puts it's pollution in the bay. Awesome!

Air quality is lower in L.A. than any other city; look it up.

The metro is non-existent to most. Most commute 45 minutes to an hour, some longer.

Vegas; San Diego; Big Bear; any well known city event; it takes half a day to get to. The streets become a parking lot during parades and events. And it's more than most cities...

Salaries are not comparable to other large cities; look it up, the census bureau

Cost of living is screwed up...
The average salary in Burbank and Glendale is 60k, average houses are 550-800k. This is not normal. Your stupid and ignorant if you think it is. Check out your wonderful L.A. city on the census bureau ; look up the average salary.

One of the worst educational systems in the U.S.. Look it up.

The list goes on and on. If your thinking of moving to L.A., look all this up and more. You'll see for yourself. Be very careful. L.A. is a wacky place.
 
Old 09-08-2007, 12:52 PM
 
29 posts, read 96,071 times
Reputation: 38
Smile I'm sorry, once again.

Once again, sorry to the locals; keep posting if you want to. I appreciate all the feedback. Sorry if you guys are upset. L.A. is the bomb. Love it. It's the best city in the world. Let's leave it at that.

I'm sorry, once again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top