U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:08 AM

7,092 posts, read 18,487,414 times

Advertisements

so i moved to the valley from the westside less than a year ago, but i've been exploring the area and trying new restaurants all over. it seems like for someone in my demographic the main shopping/dining destinations are on ventura blvd or at/around one of the nearby malls (topanga/sherman oaks). that got me thinking, for people who don't live in the southern part of the valley, are there are any other alternatives to ventura? the only thing i've found similar is sherman way, but that street seems to be focused more on the spanish speaking crowd. however, i was wondering if back in the day when the valley was a whole lot more 'white', was sherman way ever the central valley's version of ventura blvd? i hope no one takes these questions personally, i'm just curious about the history of the valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 01:39 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,550,759 times
I grew up in the West Valley. Live in the LA basisn now. The short answer is that Sherman Way was never a major destination like Ventura Blvd at least going back to the early 1980's. But Van Nuys Blvd was a MAJOR teenage cruising spot in the '50's and '60's (before my time).

Sherman Way:
The ONE exception regarding SHERMAN WAY NOT being a focal point of activity is the Reseda portion of Sherman Way (in the1980's) which had two important musical venues going for it: 1) the Country Club; and 2) BeBop Music & Gallery. The Country Club, although mostly known for booking many metal acts, also booked a lot of punk, alternative, and old line hippie bands. BeBop Music (circa the mid-80's) was a small record store and live music space on Sherman Way (just steps away from the CC) which hosted many key alternative acts: Jane's Addiction, Los Lobos, the Minutemen, to name a few. Mostly they played "unplugged" sets before that term made its way to MTV.

But even in those days Sherman Way was still working class and NOT a major shopping or nightlife destination. The section of Sherman Way (in the 1980s) in CANOGA PARK was a "low rent" district compared to Ventura (as it is today). You had adult book stores, stip clubs, and pawn shops. Not much different than today.

Of course, if you talk to the real "oldtimers" from the Valley, they will tell you about Van Nuys Blvd in the 1960's which WAS a central cruising spot for teenagers in those days. That was BEFORE my time. The Van Nuys High School alum's list from the '40's to the '70's had quite an interesting group of students: Natalie Wood, Marylin Monroe, Don Drysdale, Tony Dow, and Paula Abdul.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:30 AM

4,039 posts, read 8,339,196 times
I think Roscoe in Panorama City at one time had something going for it...a very long time ago.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,885,609 times
Its pretty much always been Ventura Blvd unless you go waaaay back to when people who are now 55-75 years old were 18-20 years old then.

I think because of the high number of spanish speaking people in the valley, most everything north of Victory (and some parts even below) you'll visit will be HEAVILY populated by the Latino crowd.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM

69,511 posts, read 79,802,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
so i moved to the valley from the westside less than a year ago, but i've been exploring the area and trying new restaurants all over. it seems like for someone in my demographic the main shopping/dining destinations are on ventura blvd or at/around one of the nearby malls (topanga/sherman oaks). that got me thinking, for people who don't live in the southern part of the valley, are there are any other alternatives to ventura? the only thing i've found similar is sherman way, but that street seems to be focused more on the spanish speaking crowd. however, i was wondering if back in the day when the valley was a whole lot more 'white', was sherman way ever the central valley's version of ventura blvd? i hope no one takes these questions personally, i'm just curious about the history of the valley.
As near as I can remember, Ventura Blvd has always been the center of activities.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:56 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,885,609 times
Some places you should hit up (if you havent already) that are some of my Valley favorites are:

Breakfast - More Than Waffles, Encino
Breakfast - Jinkys, Sherman Oaks
Breakfast - Jumpin' Java Famous, Studio City
Breakfast/Lunch - Marmalade Cafe, Sherman Oaks (I like this one better than my local one in Calabasas)
Chinese Food - Healthy Wok, Sherman Oaks (the owner's name is Chi and is super sweet)
Shopping - Fashion Square Sherman Oaks
Misc. - Sherman Oaks Galleria. Been going here even when it was the old Galleria. Nicest 24Hr Fitness there is.
Farmers Market - Studio City just off of Laurel Canyon and Ventura Blvd.
BEST Coffee house - Priscillia's in Toluca Lake.

So many more great places to go and see along Ventura.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:44 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,226,388 times
Excellent recommendations, Lao!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:54 PM

7 posts, read 12,130 times
I grew up in Porter ranch, not on the North side of the Northridge mall there is the Yard House cool place to hang out, and on the South side the Promenade mall Maggianos cool place as well.

But when were looking for a cool place we end up at the Grove next to the Farmers market.

The only other place I know is Encino near Ventura and Balboa, to White Oak areas.

But the Valley's never had a cool street like Fairfax, or Melrose.

That's why we always went to the city

Old 08-09-2014, 01:41 AM

4,794 posts, read 6,971,772 times
Speaking of older memories of the valley, anyone remember Martinos baker in Burbank?
That was a Saturday and Sunday morning treat for many of us who lived there in the seventies.

Bob.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:57 AM

143 posts, read 310,476 times
I grew up in Van Nuys, near Woodman and Sherman Way. Norm's, part of a So Cal chain, on Sherman Way near Woodman has been there for decades. Smoke House, in Burbank, still there, with an old-time steak house feel. My late mother's favorite Valley restaurant was Billingsley's (as in Barbara Billingsley in "Leave it to Beaver" family), just south of the Van Nuys airport. Closed. Wasn't Otto's Pink Pig on Sepulveda?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or