U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:51 PM

21 posts, read 17,895 times

Advertisements

Let's clarify something. You don't hate "on" something or someone, you hate something or someone.

And no, I am not hating "on" you, just giving some friendly advice so when you go to your next job interview, you don't mess it up.

Proper grammar is actually cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
they are probably trying to spare u some pain and disappointment. its a long shot--- did u say 27??, that is when i woke up and went on to a 9 to 5 job.
i waited til i retired to take up art again, this was a good move. i wont have a genius career as an artist at my age, but i will have a good retirement.
NYC has no taxi drivers only aging unemployed artists.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:58 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,899,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
Go into acting because you truly have a passion for it, and not for the glitz and glamour (winning an Oscar). Success doesn't always equate to being mainstream....you could do broadway, plays or even indie-movies
I think everyone who goes into acting for passion certainly wouldn't mind getting a job in Hollywood. Not for the glitz but to feel that you worked hard to get there and it has payed off.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:59 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,899,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
www.centralcasting.com
thanks

Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,687,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
I hate to say it, but most actors rarely make it due to "perserverance". There are multiple things that go on behind-the-scenes that determines an actor's success level. This goes for anyone in the Entertainment field. If this weren't true, there would be more talented actors out there and more people making it in Hollywood; instead of 99% of the hopefuls failing after years of trying their hand in the industry. If Hollywood was based on talent just alone, Paris hilton (reality tv stars) would NOT get more shine than a legit/quality actor. I have personally seen actors who would make Denzel Washington or Johnny Depp look like rookies.

It is a network, and a dangerous and often sadistic one too. It is those who don't know how to play the game or know the truth about the industry that often fail. Those who know the game, and what it consist of are the ones who win an Oscar. You have a better chance making it as an actor if you have these qualities/traits; inside connections (blood-relations with higher-ups in the industry), narcissistic/borderline personality disorderes (able to step on others without guilt), good at manipulation, high tolerance level for mental/physical pain and/or abuse.....sadly, this is the reality of this field.

Go into acting because you truly have a passion for it, and not for the glitz and glamour (winning an Oscar). Success doesn't always equate to being mainstream....you could do broadway, plays or even indie-movies
NOT everyone who acts does so with the intention of eventually winning an Oscar.
I do agree that there are many talented people who never make it. However -- if you DON'T persevere there is no chance of ever getting anywhere and you'll be relegated to a life of bit parts and community theatre. I had a friend (sadly passed away now) who was in a lot of Broadway shows always part of the ensemble cast. Then he made it into a few movies (Annie Hall, The Godfather as well as many unforgetable roles). The Off-Broadway shows in which he actually portrayed characters showed off his true talent. Sadly he refused to obtain a Talent Agent and in the end never got past the bit part roles.
It DOES indeed take not only talent but perseverence (you really have to knock down doors), but also a good management team behind you in order to get ahead.
Acting for the passion of your craft is an admirable and good thing -- but sadly it doesn't pay the bills.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:23 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,465,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdan View Post
Let's clarify something. You don't hate "on" something or someone, you hate something or someone.

And no, I am not hating "on" you, just giving some friendly advice so when you go to your next job interview, you don't mess it up.

Proper grammar is actually cool.
Oh no! Don't be hatin' on "Don't be hatin'!"

Old 03-02-2012, 04:19 PM

522 posts, read 537,420 times
sigh i love la... and personally i woul have stuck with the big apple as far as quality went but best of luck and dont end up on the balk of shame. nothing worse than a celebrity behaving badly celebrity used in the most sarcastic form. sheen and lohan are great examples of that. dont swallow any pills snort any powders or use a spoon to melt something with a lighter. cause someone will be all over the national enquirer hotline abot it lol. godspeed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles