Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:12 PM

25 posts, read 41,089 times

Advertisements

My partner and I recently got back from LA and have narrowed our search down to 2 apartments that we have been approved for. I could really use some help deciding which one to go with! Please keep in mind that he will be working at the Americana and I am an actor.

Apartment 1
In NoHo-on Hespy street.
Looks like a quiet area. Not in the middle of nowhere but looks like you would have to drive to most places. Amazing landlord who says many other actors live in the area.

Apartment 2
In Hollywood (close to weho)-Sunset and N.Martel
We love the big city feel of this one. Bigger apartment. Everything within walking distance (bars,restaurants,Ralph's). This one is also close to Runyon Canyon,which we love.

Also we are in our mid 20's, and enjoy being able to walk to a lot and have lots to do/people to see. But I also dont like the idea of having to drive through sunset blvd or Hollywood blvd whenever I needed to drive to an audition or something, or have his commute to work be insanely terrible.
Any advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks!
Both are around the same price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 10:13 PM

23 posts, read 65,190 times
you would be an idiot not to live in apartment #2...

Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 PM

448 posts, read 1,600,412 times
My partner and I love it here in NoHo. We've lived all over LA (from the Miracle Mile to the Valley) and found NoHo has the diversity, beauty and grit, indy feel, old and new and everything in between that we so love. To top it off (and you hit it right on the head), the traffic is sooo much more tolerable than in Hollywood. When we lived in the Miracle Mile, it was constantly stop and go, so much to the point, I wanted to drive into a pole to put me out of my misery (I jest, but you get the picture). Hesby is a good street and yes, a lot of actors live here. Good luck and welcome.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:41 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,503,865 times
I vote for apartment #1, too. You can always hop on the Metro subway and take it in to Hollywood (just be careful to note what time the trains stop running; it's earlier than you might think!). Then again, I'd do almost anything to avoid the gridlock that occurs in Hollywood much of the time!

Quick question - Are you both quiet? Because if you are, then #1 is a perfect fit. If you're not particularly quiet people, perhaps apartment #2 would be better.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 AM

We are quiet! Not big partiers- but do enjoy going to the occasional bars or club. I've been told by some locals that -1.)for an actor without a full time car,Hollywood will be easier for me to get around to agencies ect and 2.) you don't want to live in the valley because it gets unbearably hot in the summer. Are either of these true?

Old 02-21-2012, 03:20 PM

76 posts, read 235,445 times
I live here in NoHo and have lots of actor friends that also live here in the nabe. There is a nice selection of bars and some new ones opening.

Regarding the heat in the summer, North Hollywood (NoHo), Toluca Lake and Studio City are the coolest parts of the Valley. The jet stream goes right through these neighborhoods and cools it off moreso than other parts. For example, in the summer it can be 85 degrees in NoHo, but up to 10-15 degrees hotter in Woodland Hills. I've witnessed it first hand just driving and seeing my temperature gauge on the car go up when going to the West Valley.

I also agree with Sandy above. You're walking distance to the subway if you ever need to make a quick trek to Hollywood. It's literally 2 stops away.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:40 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,503,865 times
A lot of the studios are in the Valley; Warner Brothers is in Burbank, and Universal Studios is in Universal City, of course (just one subway stop from NoHo).

Yes, it does get a lot hotter in the summer out here. However, you'd be in the "cooler" portion as opposed to Woodland Hills, which is always the hot spot. Because Hollywood is somewhat inland, it won't be that much cooler than the Valley. West of the 405 is the coolest part of L.A. when there are heat waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyJay View Post
We are quiet! Not big partiers- but do enjoy going to the occasional bars or club. I've been told by some locals that -1.)for an actor without a full time car,Hollywood will be easier for me to get around to agencies ect and 2.) you don't want to live in the valley because it gets unbearably hot in the summer. Are either of these true?

Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 PM

10,018 posts, read 9,445,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Jeunet View Post
I live here in NoHo and have lots of actor friends that also live here in the nabe. There is a nice selection of bars and some new ones opening.

Regarding the heat in the summer, North Hollywood (NoHo), Toluca Lake and Studio City are the coolest parts of the Valley. The jet stream goes right through these neighborhoods and cools it off moreso than other parts. For example, in the summer it can be 85 degrees in NoHo, but up to 10-15 degrees hotter in Woodland Hills. I've witnessed it first hand just driving and seeing my temperature gauge on the car go up when going to the West Valley.

I also agree with Sandy above. You're walking distance to the subway if you ever need to make a quick trek to Hollywood. It's literally 2 stops away.
NoHo sounds like the best choice. As stated, Hollywood, downtown LA are easily accessible by the subway. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:20 PM

Went for apartment 2! After days of sleepless nights trying to make the right decision lol

Old 02-23-2012, 05:06 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,631,254 times
thanks for the update. good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles