U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:12 AM

6 posts, read 9,017 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the confusion. I'm Air Force so we will only be there 3 years and I'm renting. That said, I we kind of prefer to rent a house if possible since we plan to buy at my next station. Other important things are naturally the neighborhood, and the cost (hard cap of $2400 a month, though less is obviously better), and we want at least 2BR/2BA with W/D hookups if possible, and ideally would like a fairly large place. Also are seriously considering adding a small dog to the family, so a lot of those things combine to limit our options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 11:57 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,118,547 times
If you want a large-ish house for that budget than RB/Torrance is pretty much going to be it. You should also check out El Segundo. Probably not within your budget/expectations for a house but it's a really nice, quiet area and is closer to the west side. I'd go for an apartment on the west side myself but it really boils down to personal preference.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:25 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,297,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krindor View Post
Culver City is still an option... We were looking between Motor and Overland on Tabor. We had also looked at a property over on Sawtelle. The one in RB/Torrance that I mentioned was our favorite though. We are still uncommitted though since I wanted to get on here and ask what you guys thought of that particular neighborhood.

What do you mean by OK or other areas are more desirable? OK can mean it is fine and go for it, or it can mean it isn't really a good neighborhood, but you can make it work.
By "OK" I meant I would not discourage anybody from moving there. The neighborhood is good; I happen to have grown up in the general area and found the subdivisions further from the Galleria and the freeway to be, well, further from the Galleria and the freeway. However, I believe that area is surprisingly peaceful, despite its proximity to so much traffic. Also, you might find you prefer the relative ease of access.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:49 PM

6 posts, read 9,017 times
Thanks, I think we will probably go with that then. And in this case, ease of access is relatively important since my fiance will be needing to commute a fair distance to work.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:13 AM

678 posts, read 680,374 times
If you are looking to rent a house, then your cap might still avail you a property here in RB. The confines of houses with larger yards with free space are found east of Lilienthal Lane up to the tracks by the Galleria Mall. West of Lilienthal (which itself is not a street I would want to live on) you are seeing more tear downs of small, older homes which are then turned into rebuilds of 2 or 3 unit domiciles on the 7500 sq ft lots, leaving you with no place for a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles