U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:09 PM

218 posts, read 300,013 times

Advertisements

My list has been updated. If there are anymore suggestions please share. I want to make the most out of my visit since I am considering relocating.

1. Griffith Park Observatory
2. Walk of Fame
3. Mann's Chinese Theater
4. Pantages Theater
5. Runyon Canyon Park
6. Hollywood Bowl - check for concerts
7. Kodak Theater - check for shows
8. Staples Center - check for shows/sports games, etc.
9. The Grove
10. Farmers Market
11. Santa Monica Pier
12. Malibu - driving the PCH
13. Venice Beach
14. ABC Studios
15. Paramount Studios
16. Universal Studios
17. Beverly Center - shopping
18. Arclight Hollywood
19. Pinks - gotta get a hot dog (Pink's Hot Dogs)
20. Peterson Automotive Museum
21. TMZ Tour Bus (Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Celebrity News | TMZ.com)
22. Warner Bros. Studio Tour
23. Game shows/talk shows
24. Richard Simmons cardio class in BH (Richard Simmons Official Site and Clubhouse: Weight Loss and Fitness Tools and Motivation)
25. Getty Museum (The Getty)
26. Greek Theater (Official site of The Greek Theatre - Home Page)
27. Auto Club Speedway (Auto Club Speedway - Auto Club Speedway)
28. LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art)
29. La Brea Tar Pits (Home Page | Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits)
30. LA County Arboretum (The Arboretum — Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 04:46 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,894,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNita View Post
My list has been updated. If there are anymore suggestions please share. I want to make the most out of my visit since I am considering relocating.

2. Walk of Fame
4. Pantages Theater
5. Runyon Canyon Park
9. The Grove
10. Farmers Market
11. Santa Monica Pier
13. Venice Beach
14. ABC Studios
15. Paramount Studios
16. Universal Studios
18. Arclight Hollywood
21. TMZ Tour Bus (Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Celebrity News | TMZ.com)
24. Richard Simmons cardio class in BH (Richard Simmons Official Site and Clubhouse: Weight Loss and Fitness Tools and Motivation)
30. LA County Arboretum (The Arboretum Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden)
Over the past two summers we have spent a total of 2 weeks (2010) and 5 weeks (2011) in LA. This year it's going to be 6 weeks in LA and 2 weeks in San Francisco. Looking at your list we have managed about 70% of it!!! You have quite a challenge ahead.

Walk of Fame, Graumann's Theater, Kodak Theater and environs are all at Hollywood and Highland, including the attached mall. That's a good half a day (Lunch at "The Grille" , outdoors 2nd floor, is great but $$).
The La Brea Tar Pits/Page Museum, Grove, and farmer's Market another good early half a day with lunch at the Grove or Farmer's Market. (We caught Mario Lopez filming his Access Hollywood segment at the Grove last summer).
There is a nice little hike you can do up to the Griffith Observatory from Fern Dell Drive off Los Feliz Blvd.
The Grammy Museum is near the Staples Center and we found it amazing.
If you remember the Rockford Files you can visit Paradise Cove and enjoy the beach and their seafood restaurant when you do your PCH drive. Also, Duke's in Malibu is great for dinner. You can sit outside right on the shore (Bring a jacket and prepare for a wait for seating).
Venice Beach is a must see on a weekend day to really get the feel of its Bohemian spirit.
Getty Museum is another morning excursion to beat the crowds and traffic and give yourself time to enjoy it's indoor and outdoor beauty.
Sanata Monica Pier and Third Street Promenade are a good half day.
We did the Warner Brothers Deluxe tour. It's about $225 each, but we loved the tour and our guide. It includes a lunch in the Executive Dinnig Room and lasts about 5+ hours.
Citiwalk at Universal Studios is entertaining.
Arclight Cinema and Amoeba Music store are also must sees. You can buy your specific seat at the Arclight!!!
Hope that helps!!!
We love visiting LA and hope to move out some day also. Beats the heck out of the East Coast humid summers.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,185,507 times
Definitely spend a day, or an overnight, in san diego. Visit torrey pines state beach/park [you can do an easy hike from the top down to the beach-starts next to the golf course-just stunning], balboa park which houses a number of museums along with the aforementioned zoo. La Jolla and Del Mar are lovely coastal communities, and for more laid back and surfer/artsy with shops, etc., visit solana beach and encinitas (both just north of del mar, as in a few minutes on the 101-in fact, drive the 101, from carlsbad to del mar, it will take you right to torrey pines state beach; it's a gorgeous little drive and you will see alot.) Then drive inland to balboa park.

Since it is summer, you'll probably want to avoid the desert [joshua tree, anza borrego, etc.]; I would. But additional definite day or overnight trips would be: Laguna Beach (a must for art and beauty-great place), Santa Barbara and Ojai. You could evevn take the train from LA to SB, amtrak, and stay downtown SB-walkable and the marina, etc. are all right there.

You may love LA, but if you don't quite, yet still want to be in southern CA, then San Diego is worth considering with your budget. It's a great place for children and families, for sure. I would prefer it for that, over LA. [I have an 11 year old].

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-23-2012 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-23-2012, 05:02 PM

Awesome summary! Very helpful. I didn't know there was a Grammy Museum. This will be my first time going and I cannot wait. I'm really hoping I like it. I need a change of environment and moving west would be the ticket. I have lived in Atlanta and DC and I need something different and I am sooooooo tired of cold winters and snow. I moved to Atlanta to get away from snow but I had to move back to DC after 9/11. Been back in DC for 10 years and I'm getting that feeling I got when i moved to Atlanta like I really want to go somewhere else. Do you have any accommodations recommendations? I searched all the hotels and ended up renting a furnished house. I thought 6 weeks would be a long time to be in a hotel room. If you remember any other tips please share. I'm adding all your suggestions to my list.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:07 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,185,507 times
Default lots of choices

Quote:

2. Walk of Fame
4. Pantages Theater
5. Runyon Canyon Park
9. The Grove
10. Farmers Market
11. Santa Monica Pier
13. Venice Beach
14. ABC Studios
15. Paramount Studios
16. Universal Studios
18. Arclight Hollywood
30. LA County Arboretum (The Arboretum Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden)
Well, if you are considering relocating, then I would skip many of the tourist sites [since you'll be able to visit them at a later time] and concentrate on checking out neighborhoods you may want to live in.

But, since you are asking, Annenberg space for photography is unbelievable! and it's free, with parking only a dollar. It's in century city.

And, I agree that the Venice Canals are fabulous. Very cool.

Alot of it depends on what you're interested in. I've lived in so cal for 9 yrs and a total of 12 in CA as a whole, and I've never been to many of the main sites on your list, but i've been to many places and had many experiences that are amazing, but not on the main tourist circuit, that have been of interest to me. Good luck and have fun! My 11 year old absolutely loves that we can ride the trolley in laguna beach in the summer, and in ojai year round. Your daughter probably would, too, and if she loves art, these are great little communities to check out.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:46 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,894,333 times
Quote:
Awesome summary! Very helpful. I didn't know there was a Grammy Museum. This will be my first time going and I cannot wait. I'm really hoping I like it. I need a change of environment and moving west would be the ticket. I have lived in Atlanta and DC and I need something different and I am sooooooo tired of cold winters and snow. I moved to Atlanta to get away from snow but I had to move back to DC after 9/11. Been back in DC for 10 years and I'm getting that feeling I got when i moved to Atlanta like I really want to go somewhere else. Do you have any accommodations recommendations? I searched all the hotels and ended up renting a furnished house. I thought 6 weeks would be a long time to be in a hotel room. If you remember any other tips please share. I'm adding all your suggestions to my list.
We use VRBO.com, they are private vacation rentals. Definitely beats a hotel. Just having a kitchen is a big plus and many have BBQ's and patios/back yards. We have stayed in Hollywood, West Hollywood, and Manhattan Beach.
If you DM me I will be happy to make some recommendations. Be aware though, things are booking up fast for the summer months.

Almost forgot:
Driving up PCH all the way to Santa Barbara for the day.
Taking the metro to visit Union Station and the downtown area.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:19 PM

62 posts, read 117,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Well, if you are considering relocating, then I would skip many of the tourist sites [since you'll be able to visit them at a later time] and concentrate on checking out neighborhoods you may want to live in.
What he/she said. If you're considering a move, put the tourist silliness at the bottom of your list. Hollywood is pretty much the worst part of LA and unlikely an area you'd want to live in. (I'd reconsider Hollywood as the rental house location. West Hollywood would be better if you're committed to that area.)

LA is a county full of very differerent communities. Plan to spend a day exploring each area (e.g., a day in the beach towns of Hermosa/Manhattan/Redondo, a day in the Valley in Studio City or Woodland Hills, a day in Pasadena and Glendale, a day in West Hollywood, a day downtown, a day in Santa Monica and Venice,etc....). Get a sense of the real LA and de-prioritize the tourist stuff.

That being said, 6 weeks should allow time for both, as well as some trips outside of LA (San Diego/La Jolla/Del Mar is a must).

Old 02-24-2012, 03:22 AM

11 posts, read 22,552 times
Hi. With your daughter, you should definitely go to the San Diego zoo. Griffith parl would alos be fun There are a lot of museums mentioned above. So if you or you daughter are interested, youll could visit any museum.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,270,142 times
My husband & I did this today: Welcome to Racer's Edge Indoor Karting

It was some of the most fun we've ever had!! Highly recommend!

Quote:
WOW! If I had my own vehicle with me in LA I would definitely do the California Sports Club thing at the Auto Club Speedway. I wanna go fast...lol...Talladega Nights is one of my favorite movies. Will look into being a spectator though.

California Sports Car Club

Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 PM

San Diego zoo is definitely on my list. My daughter would love the go kart place thanks for posting!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles