Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 04:58 AM

218 posts, read 362,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post
You can squeeze in a drive to Las Vegas!
Is there anything to do in Vegas other than gamble? I'll have my 11 y/o with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 06:21 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
If you're there in the Summer you can experience hell on earth.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:23 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNita View Post
If anyone has anything else to recommend please continuing posting. If I missed anything that someone has already posted let me know. I'm going to re-read some of the posts in case I missed anything. My list is growing...

16. Universal Studios
17. Beverly Center - shopping
18. Arclight Hollywood
19. Pinks - gotta get a hot dog
Further proof of my assertion that Pink's is a tourist trap that is mostly avoided by locals.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:14 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times
Quote:
Catalina looks awesome!

The Official Catalina Island Website
I personally prefer Channel Islands, IF you want natural scenery and not a toursity town (nothing wrong with the latter; it's just different). There are trips to several different islands from Oxnard and Ventura (departure location depends on what island you go to). The park's Web site has info on the tours (I think the concessionaire is Island Packers).

Why so many studio tours? Just various possibilities? I have heard that Warner Brothers is the most comprehensive studio tour. I've been through that, and Sony (formerly MGM) Studios, but it's been many years. Even longer since I've been to Universal (more theme park than studio tour, I believe). Haven't been to Paramount. Only TV studiotour I've been to was NBC. I was underwhelemed but my mothr liked it. Returned to NBC once when I got tickets through some Web site to see Jay Leno's show taped. A lot of waiting beforehand, but it was interesting.

My wife and I have enjoyed visting both the main Getty museum, off of the 405, and the smaller Getty Villa in Malibu. I concur on La Brea Tar Pits. Next to L.A. County Museum of Art. Other good museums include the Norton Simon (Pasadena), the Gene Autry Museum of the West (next to Griffith Park) and various museums in Exposition Park (the California Science Center is aimed mainly, but not exclusively, at younger visitors).

Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
If you're there in the Summer you can experience hell on earth.
I lol'd.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:02 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
Quote:
Is there anything to do in Vegas other than gamble? I'll have my 11 y/o with me.
We have spent time during the last 3 summers in Las Vegas in addition to CA. It is REALLY hot in Las Vegas during the summer, although for us East Coasters it doesn't feel quite as bad because of the extremely low humidity.
There are a few things to do for children off the strip but, frankly, with the 4+ hour drive, the heat, additional cost for lodging and the predominance of adult themed activities I think your time would be better spent in California.
I would recommend San Diego for your situation before Las Vegas.
However, if cost is not an issue, and your curiosity needs satisfaction, a few days at the Bellagio with a lake front room might be entertaining. The pools are magnificent and the location is not bad to access the rest of the strip.
Again, though, the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park and Seaport Village would probably be more fun.

San Diego | Seaport Village

San Diego Seal Tour | San Diego Attractions | San Diego Tours | Things to Do in San Diego

Balboa Park | A landscape of Arts and Culture

Welcome to the San Diego Zoo

Old 03-29-2012, 09:22 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,002 times
theres more to do in L.A. than literally anywhere else, thats what people here make it sound like

Old 03-31-2012, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,687 times
www.123.com/img.gif (broken link)

Old 03-31-2012, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,687 times
[quote][asdagasga/QUOTE]

Last edited by zxkqyy; 03-31-2012 at 08:15 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 08:24 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
Go to the one cuban resteraunt...i forgot whats it called but i know its in hollywood kind of culver city area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles