U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 04:37 AM

218 posts, read 300,099 times

Advertisements

Still looking for more suggestions...especially some of the not so well known things to do...those hidden gems. Also, any suggestions for July 4th events?

1. Griffith Park Observatory
2. Walk of Fame
3. Mann's Chinese Theater
4. Pantages Theater
5. Runyon Canyon Park
6. Hollywood Bowl - check for concerts
7. Kodak Theater - check for shows
8. Staples Center - check for shows/sports games, etc.
9. The Grove
10. Farmers Market
11. Santa Monica Pier
12. Malibu - driving the PCH, Duke's, Paradise Cove
13. Venice Beach
14. ABC Studios
15. Paramount Studios
16. Universal Studios
17. Beverly Center - shopping
18. Arclight Hollywood
19. Pinks - gotta get a hot dog (Pink's Hot Dogs)
20. Peterson Automotive Museum
21. TMZ Tour Bus (Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Celebrity News | TMZ.com)
22. Warner Bros. Studio Tour
23. Game shows/talk shows
24. Richard Simmons cardio class in BH (Richard Simmons Official Site and Clubhouse: Weight Loss and Fitness Tools and Motivation)
25. Getty Museum (The Getty)
26. Greek Theater (Official site of The Greek Theatre - Home Page)
27. Auto Club Speedway (Auto Club Speedway - Auto Club Speedway)
28. LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art)
29. La Brea Tar Pits (Home Page | Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits)
30. LA County Arboretum (The Arboretum — Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden)
31. The Grille - yummy
32. The Grammy Museum (The GRAMMY Museum® :: In the L.A. LIVE District)
33. San Diego - zoo,
34. Laguna Beach
35. Santa Barbara
36. In and Out Burger
37. Go Karts (Welcome to Racer's Edge Indoor Karting)
38. Dorothy Chandler/Ahmanson Theater/Mark Taper
39. Staples Center/LA Live
40. Jim Henson Studio (www.henson.com) (http://www.yelp.com/biz_redir?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.henson.com&src_bizi d=CCi0NDeETcKu98zGROdPzw&cachebuster=1330696182&ff 570e6a2dc66598d9545d1ed0981bc7 - broken link)
41. Hearst Castle (Hearst Castle)
42. The Magic Castle (The World Famous Hollywood Magic Castle)
43. UCLA - Royce Hall, Library, Diddy Riese
44. The Museum of Jurassic Technology (The Museum Of Jurassic Technology)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 10:01 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,895,150 times
>Getting to Manhattan Beach early in the morning and watching all the surfers try to get some wave time before work. Then you can walk the Strand into town.

>Visiting the Huntihgton Gardens in Pasadena
Botanical Gardens

>Pancakes at Dupars in the Farmers Market
:::::::::::: Welcome to Du-par's - Restaurant and Bakery Since 1938 open 24 hours ::::::::::::

>Rent a boat at Marina Del Rey
Boats4Rent

>Fun Bike rentals in Long Beach or Santa Barbara
Home.aspx - Wheel Fun Rentals

Old 04-29-2012, 07:08 AM

Any suggestions for things to do for July 4th?

Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,015,619 times
There are often free concerts, on July 4th, and throughout the summer. You can Google it at the date gets closer.

If you want to brave the heat in the west San Fernando Valley, you can check out the Independence Day fireworks show at Warner Center Park in Woodland Hills. It gets packed quite early, though, so expect to be elbow to elbow with others, and you'd also have to pay for parking.

Universal City Walk also has summer concerts; they're free (except for the $10 you pay for parking, unless you take the Red Line subway and then the free tram across the street which will take you up the hill).

The Starlight Bowl in Burbank usually has a fireworks show as well; their concert series isn't listed on their website yet, but you can keep looking here: Welcome To Starlight Bowl Summer Concert Series To my knowledge, this isn't free.

I hope this helps a little.

By the way, I like your list! I'm doing a "staycation" this year, starting in two weeks. I've gotten some good ideas here - and I've lived here all of my life!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:06 PM

2,870 posts, read 4,459,022 times
Santa Monica Pier is where people flock for 4th of July. There are viewing spots in Griffith Park, and the Outdoor Club usually has a guided hike. I think the Observatory is open too, and again you can probably find picnickers around the park too. The Rose Bowl is a big event, but you can likewise find families and picnickers up in the hills above the treeline. Check the Getty Museum schedule too. That's a fantastic vista, though not up-close.

The Hollywood Bowl is a great place for picnicking too. Unfortunately (or not) I think Barry Manilow is the guest for a high ticket price. You might want to save the Hollywood Bowl day for a more appealing act or its free Philharmonic concerts.

If you're here in early June, definitely go to the Natural History Museum's lively First Fridays on the 3rd. There's a lecture and tour and afterwards, though I know you have your daughter with you, there's a DJ and live acts. It's a great place to meet locals, and the lectures start early so you don't have to stay for big festivities. June 3rd's guest lecturer is Jonah Lehrer, an absolutely fascinating author.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:47 PM

460 posts, read 696,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNita View Post
Any suggestions for things to do for July 4th?
The Rose Bowl in Pasadena has an amazing fireworks show every year, one of the biggest displays in Southern California. I went one year and it was a spectacular show and very fun experience.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 AM

Thanks all! I will check out the Rose Bowl and Griffith Observatory as options for July 4th. I did see Barry Manilow at the Hollywood Bowl and will pass on that one...LOL! I have an updated list I will post it soon. Dupars and Bludso's are definitely on the list. I want to make the most of these 6 weeks. Keep the suggestions coming!!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 AM

273 posts, read 753,868 times
Hi Nita
Excuse repetition as I have not read thread

Skirball Noah's ark on a Thursday when it is free.
Kids space, first Tuesday of month is free.
Lacma art rooms for kids
Tar pit museum garden area
Science museum....aqauarium better than long beach aquarium.....also free
Natural history museum

This city rocks.....you will love it.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 AM

Hi Nita
Excuse repetition as I have not read thread

skirball Centre Noah's ark on a Thursday when it is free ....the ark may be too you g for your d but the exhibition on Judaism is nicely done and eduvpcational
Kids space, first Tuesday of month is free.More geared up to younger kids but still worth a visit on the free day.
Lacma art rooms for kids
Tar pit museum garden area
Science museum....aqauarium better than long beach aquarium.....also free
Natural history museum
Descanso gardens for a walk.
Arboretum for peacocks.
Santa clarity race course early on we'd morning... You can eat breakfast and watch horses train.
Eaton canyon waterfall
Paulo's verses botanical gardens and beach is sweet there too

My favorite cafe ever...the Malibu cafe.... You can take paddle boats on the mini lake and play billboards on the lawn.....it is magical.After a day ate paradise cove it is just so relaxing to sit on the verdant manicured lawns and sip home made lemonade.

This city rocks.....you will love it.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 AM

Palls verdes that should read.
I blame my I pad.and crying baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles