U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2012, 02:44 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,349 posts, read 16,529,069 times
Reputation: 19640

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis12 View Post
Hi, thanks for your reply. Sounds like I should've been a little more detailed, though. I meant specifically downtown LA and some of the zip codes I included in the post. They don't look like complete slums, or bottom of the bottom on google maps, but obviously that can be misleading. I would like to be in the downtown area, or in the USC area, which I've heard may be pretty bad too. Again, I could handle it if it's just one of those places if you mind your business, you'll be fine, but not if it's the bottom of the bottom and the slums of LA, which I fear it may be by what I've been reading.
Let's do it this way: where's your school (USC? LACC?) and what is your housing budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2012, 04:11 PM
 
4,033 posts, read 8,306,480 times
Reputation: 2876
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis12 View Post
That's kind of where I got a lot of information from. I know exactly what you mean when you see something that may be so much of a total misconception that it's hard to even find a starting point to even come up with a counter argument, but I hope you can at least try. Lol. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the complete city, just certain parts such as the 90007, 90802 or 90026 area code.
I still don't know what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 13,473,184 times
Reputation: 6317
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I still don't know what you are talking about.
We must get to the bottom of this "severeness of lackness." [Hey, that would be a cool name for an album]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 04:22 PM
 
4,033 posts, read 8,306,480 times
Reputation: 2876
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
We must get to the bottom of this "severeness of lackness." [Hey, that would be a cool name for an album]
Or an excellent line from a Nigerian email scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
124 posts, read 188,332 times
Reputation: 180
Severeness...of...lackness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,075,346 times
Reputation: 2244
the only real bad areas of downtown are the skid row streets. but you probably wont be there. other parts of downtown are perfectly fine. its also about how you look. look like a thug and get treated like a thug. meaning in downtown you will be feared, in the hood you will be targetted. most places are live and let live. in the deep hood it does get trickier. but common sense is a must where ever you go.
as for the zips. 90017 is west lake, pico-union, thats the *****hole of los angeles. once a great area, been through time times and re-emerging as a future transitional neighbor hood. in the meantime i would not move there. the other spots like 90018 are a mixed bag. there are some very nice traditional black neighborhoods in that area, but there are also some serious hoods. once you figure out where, or narrow it down, let us know and we can give you a better idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Mt Washington: NELA
1,162 posts, read 2,843,570 times
Reputation: 636
The Sly Elusive Butterflies of Love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 06:43 PM
 
106 posts, read 143,719 times
Reputation: 112
It amuses me how people can be so harsh when someone is obviously trying to get some genuine advice. I think the concerns of living in a city like LA are well-founded. As would be the concerns of living in any other major city you aren't from.


Seems as though people take it personal. Look at all the threads in this forum, and you constantly read people trashing Downtown. Doesn't seem like much of a strecth for someone who is totally unfamiliar to assume the worst until informed otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,975,059 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
the only real bad areas of downtown are the skid row streets. but you probably wont be there. other parts of downtown are perfectly fine. its also about how you look. look like a thug and get treated like a thug. meaning in downtown you will be feared, in the hood you will be targetted. most places are live and let live. in the deep hood it does get trickier. but common sense is a must where ever you go.
as for the zips. 90017 is west lake, pico-union, thats the *****hole of los angeles. once a great area, been through time times and re-emerging as a future transitional neighbor hood. in the meantime i would not move there. the other spots like 90018 are a mixed bag. there are some very nice traditional black neighborhoods in that area, but there are also some serious hoods. once you figure out where, or narrow it down, let us know and we can give you a better idea.
90026 includes Silver Lake, Echo Park, and Historic Filipinotown (although Silver Lake is split between 3 different zip codes and EP's split between 2) ; it ranges from really great to quite sketchy and everything in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Mt Washington: NELA
1,162 posts, read 2,843,570 times
Reputation: 636
I can't speak for everyone who has been 'harsh' with posters. I CAN say that it gets really old, hearing the same hackneyed misperceptions. It actually becomes rather surreal, realizing that people have such an 'out-there' view of where I live, even if that impression is fed by the media or others.

And do we take it personal? Would a NYer take such criticism of NYC personally? You betcha, far more personal than any Angeleno in my opinion. We live here, many of us have bought homes, are involved in our neighborhoods, invested big time in this place. I've said it before but it bears repeating: this City is immense, diverse, bad, good, ugly, beautiful. I could live here until I'm 100 years old and not see everything L.A. has to offer.

Giving out a pat answers and advice for such a place is just not possible. I think it's more exasperation than harshness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCburn View Post
It amuses me how people can be so harsh when someone is obviously trying to get some genuine advice. I think the concerns of living in a city like LA are well-founded. As would be the concerns of living in any other major city you aren't from.


Seems as though people take it personal. Look at all the threads in this forum, and you constantly read people trashing Downtown. Doesn't seem like much of a strecth for someone who is totally unfamiliar to assume the worst until informed otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top