U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-23-2012, 07:12 PM
 
106 posts, read 143,630 times
Reputation: 112

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
I can't speak for everyone who has been 'harsh' with posters. I CAN say that it gets really old, hearing the same hackneyed misperceptions. It actually becomes rather surreal, realizing that people have such an 'out-there' view of where I live, even if that impression is fed by the media or others.

And do we take it personal? Would a NYer take such criticism of NYC personally? You betcha, far more personal than any Angeleno in my opinion. We live here, many of us have bought homes, are involved in our neighborhoods, invested big time in this place. I've said it before but it bears repeating: this City is immense, diverse, bad, good, ugly, beautiful. I could live here until I'm 100 years old and not see everything L.A. has to offer.

Giving out a pat answers and advice for such a place is just not possible. I think it's more exasperation than harshness.
The original poster didn't come across as very critical of LA. I think he asked a very good question for someone who is not from here. He didn't say "LA is a ****hole I can't find anywhere to live." And it seems as though he got what he heard from people who live in LA, and not in the media as you seem to suggest.


Look at the title of the Forum... it says "Relocation, moving, etc..." Seems as though this would be the place someone could come and get their misconceptions erased without being harrassed about it.


By the way, even on this forum, look at what Angelenos themselves say about downtown... It could be a misconception, but it doesn't seem like such a far-fetched one when you have people who are from LA giving "advice" like this.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/23104052-post5.html
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 PM
 
4,032 posts, read 8,301,481 times
Reputation: 2876
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCburn View Post
The original poster didn't come across as very critical of LA. I think he asked a very good question for someone who is not from here. He didn't say "LA is a ****hole I can't find anywhere to live." And it seems as though he got what he heard from people who live in LA, and not in the media as you seem to suggest.


Look at the title of the Forum... it says "Relocation, moving, etc..." Seems as though this would be the place someone could come and get their misconceptions erased without being harrassed about it.


By the way, even on this forum, look at what Angelenos themselves say about downtown... It could be a misconception, but it doesn't seem like such a far-fetched one when you have people who are from LA giving "advice" like this.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/23104052-post5.html
You do realize that the majority of highly critical postings about downtown and LA in general are troll postings, don't you?

There are legitimate criticisms, but wouldnt you pay attention to the detailed specific postings rather than the general "you gonna get shot or raped after dark" type postings?

And anyway, OP has so many statements and qualifiers in his posting that I really can't figure out what is being asked.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:33 AM
 
106 posts, read 143,630 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
You do realize that the majority of highly critical postings about downtown and LA in general are troll postings, don't you?

There are legitimate criticisms, but wouldnt you pay attention to the detailed specific postings rather than the general "you gonna get shot or raped after dark" type postings?

And anyway, OP has so many statements and qualifiers in his posting that I really can't figure out what is being asked.

How would someone realize they are trolling if they have had absolutely no experience in the city? Especially when every thread about downtown is littered with these trolls, and then you have those who get offended because you ask...


And by the way, I do have to agree that his original post and even his response got a little confusing on some points.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 07:57 AM
 
3,778 posts, read 7,167,630 times
Reputation: 4134
I'll compare it to someplace you know:

National crime rate figure (from citydata.com): 319.1.
2009, Memphis, TN: 876.9
2009, Los Angeles: 325.6

2010, Memphis: 760.8
2010, Los Angeles: 301.2

Los Angeles wins! Of course, there are some bad neighborhoods, but you won't be able to find them by zipcode. Find some possible places to live, then ask about major intersections or streets.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 08:26 AM
 
4,032 posts, read 8,301,481 times
Reputation: 2876
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCburn View Post
How would someone realize they are trolling if they have had absolutely no experience in the city?
Here is how you distinguish troll postings.....

NOT A TROLL POST:

Quote:
My husband and I moved downtown from the East Coast three years ago, and we LOVE it here. Anywhere along Main or Spring Streets between 3rd and 9th is quite safe, day and night. There is a lot of foot traffic until late in the evenings because of the numerous bars, restaurants and coffee shops that stay open late, and we have never had a problem walking around day or night.

There are also some newer loft buildings along Broadway and Hill Streets, and along the stretch of 7th between Figueroa and Main. Any of these areas are great places to live. Then, there are the buildings a bit farther south around LA Live. It's a very different atmosphere down there--mostly chain restaurants and concert/sports venues.

One of the things that we love about living here is that we do not need a car, and can walk to so many great places. There are tons of places to eat and drink, lots of boutiques for shopping, art galleries, theaters (both live and movies) comedy clubs, museums, a farmer's market--you name it. You can also meet all of your practical day-to-day needs--groceries, drug store, post office, dry cleaning, etc. In the historic core, you're surrounded by phenomenal architecture and a diverse community of neighbors.

Another thing that we enjoy about downtown is that it really is a community. Because we all walk here, we get to know our neighbors. It's especially nice when you're moving to a new city to be in an environment that facilitates making new friends.

There's no real need to leave this neighborhood, but the other areas of LA also have a lot to offer, so it's nice to be central to public transportation. Three of the metro lines cross downtown, and bus lines to everywhere leave from here. So it's quite easy to get most places by bus or train, without having to use the car. And if your girlfriend has to commute by car, she'll be going against traffic, most of which is headed into downtown in the am and out in the pm.

It's true--there is a large homeless population downtown. If you are used to living in an urban environment, this will not be a surprise to you. It's not much different from living in any other major city in the world. They will not bother you, and it's nothing to be afraid of. You may experience a bit of panhandling now and then, but that's about it. For the most part, the homeless congregate east of downtown for the evening hours (where they are allowed to pitch tents on the sidewalks). It's also a bit loud down here--traffic noise, sirens, etc--but again, this will be nothing new to anyone familiar with urban living. We don't even hear it most of the time.

We have truly enjoyed living in Los Angeles, and have had a lot of fun exploring a lot of different neighborhoods. I can understand why others might prefer to live in other parts of the city. But for us, downtown is the only place we would want to live. With all due respect, your friends who lived in LA 8-10 years ago don't know what they're talking about. A lot has changed since then.

I love my neighborhood, and I enjoy showing it off to others. So please feel free to message me if you have other questions! And if you decide to start an apartment search in earnest, I'm happy to let you know what I can about specific locations.

Good luck!
For Those That Live in Downtown LA

Detailed, provides specifics, verifiable, from someone who actually lives there.

VS.

TROLL POST:

Quote:
I Think it's going to be a while until downtown L.A. begins to finally thrive. I'm thinking another 15-20 years. The city still has alot of work to do, I mean L.A. Live was quite the disappointment i only go there for events and its mostly filled with tourists. These corporations needs to stop building commercial districts that seclude themselves from the rest of the city.
Very vague general statements with no specifics whatsoever, from someone who does not live in the area.

My point is, why would one give any weight whatsoever to the second posting?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,115 posts, read 6,992,251 times
Reputation: 3657
Actually, a troll post is from someone *trying* to stir up trouble.

Just because someone posts a vague opinion, or a negative opinion, doesn't make it a troll post...


Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I'll compare it to someplace you know:

National crime rate figure (from citydata.com): 319.1.
2009, Memphis, TN: 876.9
2009, Los Angeles: 325.6

2010, Memphis: 760.8
2010, Los Angeles: 301.2

Los Angeles wins! Of course, there are some bad neighborhoods, but you won't be able to find them by zipcode. Find some possible places to live, then ask about major intersections or streets.
I think you win as far as making a post that will really put it in perspective for the OP!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 01:41 PM
 
10 posts, read 14,421 times
Reputation: 11
Thanks a LOT everyone. Especially the one's who understood where I was coming from with my post. I wasn't trying to make an argument that it was the complete slums, but when you research and see so many harsh things said about it, I believe it's natural to automatically think of the worst case scenario's, which is really how a lot of misconceptions start out. That's why I decided to post, strictly to get more insight and understanding. The post that really gave me some prospective is the crime rate comparison between my current city and LA. Wow, that opened my eyes. Again, thank you to the people that helped and understood where I was coming from and for the insight, which is the the reason I posted my concerns and questions. Thanks.

P.S. If it's ok, after I narrow down some of my searches to a few actual addresses, I'll post them to see if it's a complete 'no, no'.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:23 PM
 
10 posts, read 14,421 times
Reputation: 11
Ok, I have a some addresses. Not asking for someone to give me information for every single one, but if you're familiar with one (or a few) of the listed one's, I would love your input. Again, I know for my price range that it's going to be a sketchy place, just as long as it's not the bottom of the bottom.

463 S.Bixel St. 90007
S. Raymond Ave. 90007
1316 Lemoyne Street Los Angeles, CA 90026
704 Hartford Ave., LA, CA 90017
004 W. 65Th Street., Los Angeles CA 90044
Near PV bowl in Torrance
Vermont / 65Th 90044
2221 Michigan Ave L.A CA 90033
Santa Monica Blvd & N Cahuenga Blvd 90038
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Mt Washington: NELA
1,162 posts, read 2,842,859 times
Reputation: 636
Crud, I just wrote up a rather detailed guide for you and I lost it. Ugh.

Regardless, 463 Bix is a rather old apartment building, not without its charm, pre-Bunker Hill redevelopment. All the old apartment buildings on that block have been renovated. Big new school just up the street may have spurred that- not a bad thing. The street is quiet at night, REALLY close to the Financial District. Takes about 5 minutes to walk to downtown from there. The LA Studios is across the street. It's a pretty unique little stretch- there's even a little market between the apartments. Oh yeah, and Vista Hermosa is just up the street. I took some pics and posted them in my CityForum album. Of all the ones you mentioned, I think its best.

704 Hartford is dicey. The street was pretty nice half a century ago, there's a certain elegant decadence to some of the old apartment buildings. Developers were drooling over the block a few years ago, then the economy tanked and the destruction they began abated somewhat. Still, I wouldn't recommend hanging out there at night. A forward thinking investor could convert alot of these huge old apartments into boutique hotels, or restaurants. Maybe someday.

I noticed that most of the places you posted are pretty gritty. I know the rents are cheap- a lady at work toyed with the idea of moving to Bixel Street because the rent was $850 or something like that. She actually liked it there but ended up getting a better deal elsewhere.

There are still some quaint rooms to rent and apartments in Chinatown. I'm thinking down Solano or Bernard. Similar vibe to Bixel, yet still close to bus and train into town.

I know that stretch of Michigan Avenue. Typical of that area, there are nice older homes right next to hideous, newer apartments. I don't think it's unsafe over there, but it is alittle farther than the other two I mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis12 View Post
Ok, I have a some addresses. Not asking for someone to give me information for every single one, but if you're familiar with one (or a few) of the listed one's, I would love your input. Again, I know for my price range that it's going to be a sketchy place, just as long as it's not the bottom of the bottom.

463 S.Bixel St. 90007
S. Raymond Ave. 90007
1316 Lemoyne Street Los Angeles, CA 90026
704 Hartford Ave., LA, CA 90017
004 W. 65Th Street., Los Angeles CA 90044
Near PV bowl in Torrance
Vermont / 65Th 90044
2221 Michigan Ave L.A CA 90033
Santa Monica Blvd & N Cahuenga Blvd 90038
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 12:12 PM
 
10 posts, read 14,421 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Crud, I just wrote up a rather detailed guide for you and I lost it. Ugh.

Regardless, 463 Bix is a rather old apartment building, not without its charm, pre-Bunker Hill redevelopment. All the old apartment buildings on that block have been renovated. Big new school just up the street may have spurred that- not a bad thing. The street is quiet at night, REALLY close to the Financial District. Takes about 5 minutes to walk to downtown from there. The LA Studios is across the street. It's a pretty unique little stretch- there's even a little market between the apartments. Oh yeah, and Vista Hermosa is just up the street. I took some pics and posted them in my CityForum album. Of all the ones you mentioned, I think its best.

704 Hartford is dicey. The street was pretty nice half a century ago, there's a certain elegant decadence to some of the old apartment buildings. Developers were drooling over the block a few years ago, then the economy tanked and the destruction they began abated somewhat. Still, I wouldn't recommend hanging out there at night. A forward thinking investor could convert alot of these huge old apartments into boutique hotels, or restaurants. Maybe someday.

I noticed that most of the places you posted are pretty gritty. I know the rents are cheap- a lady at work toyed with the idea of moving to Bixel Street because the rent was $850 or something like that. She actually liked it there but ended up getting a better deal elsewhere.

There are still some quaint rooms to rent and apartments in Chinatown. I'm thinking down Solano or Bernard. Similar vibe to Bixel, yet still close to bus and train into town.

I know that stretch of Michigan Avenue. Typical of that area, there are nice older homes right next to hideous, newer apartments. I don't think it's unsafe over there, but it is alittle farther than the other two I mentioned above.
Ha. I hate typing out an long text or e-mail and lose it before I can send it out! Anyways, thanks a lot for the insight and recommendations. Very very helpful. Haven't looked into Chinatown at all. Guess I'll be doing a little digging there. Very appreciative of your post. Thanks, again.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top