U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:41 PM

10 posts, read 14,418 times

Advertisements

Do you guys think rats and/or roaches would be a problem inside the places of the downtown areas, say like, 463 S Bixel st?

Add Magnolia Ave & W 3rd St
Long Beach, CA 90802 to the list

Last edited by memphis12; 02-25-2012 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 04:12 PM

4,028 posts, read 8,299,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis12 View Post
Do you guys think rats and/or roaches would be a problem inside the places of the downtown areas, say like, 463 S Bixel st?

Add Magnolia Ave & W 3rd St
Long Beach, CA 90802 to the list
YES!

Downtown areas are ridden with roaches and rats! Filthy IMO.

Bedbugs too. NASTY!!!!!

Old 02-25-2012, 08:58 PM

779 posts, read 940,468 times
Quote:
Ok, I have a some addresses. Not asking for someone to give me information for every single one, but if you're familiar with one (or a few) of the listed one's, I would love your input. Again, I know for my price range that it's going to be a sketchy place, just as long as it's not the bottom of the bottom.

463 S.Bixel St. 90007
S. Raymond Ave. 90007
1316 Lemoyne Street Los Angeles, CA 90026 - Are you going to have a car? Looks like parking is at a premium in that neighborhood.

704 Hartford Ave., LA, CA 90017
004 W. 65Th Street., Los Angeles CA 90044 - Definitely not
Near PV bowl in Torrance - Not terrible, but about 23-25 miles from downtown L.A.
Vermont / 65Th 90044 - Definitely Not
2221 Michigan Ave L.A CA 90033 - Note the relatively extensive use of security fences and burglar bars many of the residences in the area
Santa Monica Blvd & N Cahuenga Blvd 90038
See above.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:26 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,641,418 times
That's why I type my long detailed posts in Notepad or Word, then paste them here.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:59 AM

29,125 posts, read 21,138,395 times
Googling "severeness of lackness" results in this thread being displayed first.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:39 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
do a google maps street view of the areas. and also do a homicide search.

Homicide map - Homicide Report - Los Angeles Times

004 west 65th street los angeles - Google Maps

some of the areas have worse reputations than they actually are. for example the area around 65th and vermont. there are some pretty nice streets in that area. you have older black folk and families living there. its becoming more and more mixed (latino), but its not as dangerous as it once was. i have friends that live right on 65th place (budlong). never had a problem. i take the bus right through these areas every day, often stopping to visit friends and never felt unsafe. can it be? sure anywhere can be. it really goes block by block sometimes. but you should check out the homicide map and other crime maps for a better indicator of safety.
65th and main? thats a bit sketch even for me.

Florence Crime - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
hope this helps.

Quote:
Ok, I have a some addresses. Not asking for someone to give me information for every single one, but if you're familiar with one (or a few) of the listed one's, I would love your input. Again, I know for my price range that it's going to be a sketchy place, just as long as it's not the bottom of the bottom.

463 S.Bixel St. 90007
S. Raymond Ave. 90007
1316 Lemoyne Street Los Angeles, CA 90026
704 Hartford Ave., LA, CA 90017
004 W. 65Th Street., Los Angeles CA 90044
Near PV bowl in Torrance
Vermont / 65Th 90044
2221 Michigan Ave L.A CA 90033
Santa Monica Blvd & N Cahuenga Blvd 90038

Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 PM

33 posts, read 86,568 times
Hi Memphis12,
Getting to know a big city could be a daunting task, so I'll try to answer your questions specifically as best I could. If you want to live in or near downtown LA, zips 90026 (Echo Park/Silver Lake, 90017 (Westlake), 90007 (Adams) or 90038 (East Hollywood) are all doable from your list for someone young and going to school (USC I presume?) Like most parts of LA near downtown, there are gritty streets next questionable ones. All of the zips on your list have some nice as well as not so nice sections. Of the ones you mentioned, 90026 would be my 1st choice (female in the arts). 90017 & 90038 would tie for 2nd place but it would depend on the street, building, room (in that order). The advantage to the three zips is their central location and ease to many amenities to the city that may appeal to someone young. 90017 does have some really questionable streets but the
"463 S.Bixel St. 90017" is in the section that is changing (however not really loving the building although could be OK for a guy who just comes and goes)

Your other zip codes 90044, Torrance, 90802 (Long Beach), are further south and difficult to do a downtown LA commute (with the exception of Long Beach since there is a train to DTLA, but i would not suggest it if you have other options.) Also, I would not suggest these neighborhoods for someone young attending college and again with the exception of the Long beach address. (That section of LB is getting gentrified, but that's another subject)

My 1st choice off your apt. address list without looking in the unit is Lemoyne 90026. That building is off of Sunset and located in Echo Park (EP) which is a mix bag of everything from young hipsters, artists, different ethnic groups, students, and an extreme mix of folks on the socioeconomic ladder. And the answer to the question of the day.....yes, there are gangs and some parts too gritty for suburbanites. But most of the time, they do damage to each other and leave everyone else alone if you are not in their business. I live in West LA which most consider to be a safe & affluent nabe and there gangs and break-ins here in certain hot spots. Also keep in mind the EP area has managed to balance all of the difference and somehow seem to live & let live...somehow make it work. To me, this is the best thing about LA. Finally, EP is a very walkable nabe with shops, cafes and some night life.

East Hollywood is dense & could be OK if you can find a great building on a decent street. There are some bargains there if you look hard enough. The plus is that it's not too far from really nice sections near Griffith Park since it's close to LACC, there will be students in the area. The Adams area is the closest to USC & has been changing the last decade (slightly longer even) There are homes rented to USC students and some homes kept up nicely by folks who like older architecture. It is mostly working class with a strong mixture of Hispanics and African Americans. This area could be doable for you since the big thing going on there is the train that will lead to other parts of the city.

My suggestion is to look on Craigslist for a roommate (maybe another student looking for someone to fill a room. Once you are here, you can take your time exploring to find the neighborhood that fits best for yourself.

Here are some other zips that could work for your price range:
90057 (for now avoid the immediate area around MacArthur Park - south of 3rd st., South Rampart going east, west of Union Ave - only until you get to know the city better)

Overall LA is a great place with something to offer everybody with different strokes. And don't sweat over the safety of the city but just be diligent in developing good street smarts. Find people similar to yourself and they'll help you along the way.

Best of luck and enjoy the city!

Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,841,726 times
Really? All of them? And to think the people I know who live downtown have never mentioned that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
YES!

Downtown areas are ridden with roaches and rats! Filthy IMO.

Bedbugs too. NASTY!!!!!

Old 03-03-2012, 07:31 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,542,473 times
I am pretty sure JohnG72 was just kidding around with that comment.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:22 AM

9,197 posts, read 13,465,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
I am pretty sure JohnG72 was just kidding around with that comment.
We can only hope so. A severeness of lackness of rats and roaches and bedbugs would be most welcomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles