U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:17 PM

10 posts, read 14,447 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to LA on a budget for school (coming from TN). I guess it's common sense to know the cheaper the rent, the lack of safety and other things are more prominent. My questions is this: For the downtown LA area and a few other areas (area codes 90007 90018 {and} 90026 90017 and a few other I can't remember) is it REALLY that unbearable bad? I'm a 23 year old african american male, I won't be going out at all, other than during the day at school 4-5 days out of the week, or do any real socializing. The perception, at least from what i've read (and I don't know if it's true) is that it's not even a place you would want to step in the vicinity of. Is it like the bottom of the bottom as far as safety goes? Like I said, I'm not trying to find a place for a family or to hang out around, but I am kind of nervous at just how severe the safety of it may be by what I've been reading. So any information or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,001,466 times
Millions of people live and work in Los Angeles - so why assume it's unbearably bad? Think about it! Why would anyone pay as much as you have to pay to live in Southern California, if it was that unsafe?

What school are you going to? It's a big city, and if you give people a more specific idea of where you need to be, it's easier to give advice on where to live.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 AM

Hi, thanks for your reply. Sounds like I should've been a little more detailed, though. I meant specifically downtown LA and some of the zip codes I included in the post. They don't look like complete slums, or bottom of the bottom on google maps, but obviously that can be misleading. I would like to be in the downtown area, or in the USC area, which I've heard may be pretty bad too. Again, I could handle it if it's just one of those places if you mind your business, you'll be fine, but not if it's the bottom of the bottom and the slums of LA, which I fear it may be by what I've been reading.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:14 PM

4,035 posts, read 8,317,648 times
Question has been asked and answered repeatedly.

Your entire post is a ridiculous misconception. So misconceived in fact that I don't know how to start answering it except to say that it is completely incorrect in entirety.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:45 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,304,299 times
Rent the movie "Swingers".

Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Question has been asked and answered repeatedly.

Your entire post is a ridiculous misconception. So misconceived in fact that I don't know how to start answering it except to say that it is completely incorrect in entirety.
That's kind of where I got a lot of information from. I know exactly what you mean when you see something that may be so much of a total misconception that it's hard to even find a starting point to even come up with a counter argument, but I hope you can at least try. Lol. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the complete city, just certain parts such as the 90007, 90802 or 90026 area code.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Rent the movie "Swingers".
Actually seen that before. haha. Not sure what you want me to get out of it, though.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:58 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,304,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis12 View Post
Actually seen that before. haha. Not sure what you want me to get out of it, though.
******' A right, it's not like New York. Out here you can avoid trouble. It's not like you live in Compton, Sue, with bullets whizzing by your head.
You live in a good neighborhood, man. In New York trouble finds you.

Be smart and avoid hanging out in projects. If you are living in Memphis, you are moving to a place where the violent crime rate is about half.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:09 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,001,466 times
Quote:
some of the zip codes I included in the post.
I know some of the areas around downtown, but I have no idea which zip code they're in? You'll get more help if you name the areas, or a major intersection.

Quote:
the downtown area, or in the USC area,
I love the downtown area, and if you do a search in this section, you'll find a lot of threads about living downtown - there are some really great parts! But do a search, and read what others here have already shared - there is some really good info in those older threads.

As for USC, I went there for a semester, and lived in Hollywood, and took the bus to school - and it was fine! The area around USC is not wealthy - unlike the area around UCLA - but that doesn't mean it's a slum. It's just a big city neighborhood!

Quote:
Again, I could handle it if it's just one of those places if you mind your business, you'll be fine, but not if it's the bottom of the bottom and the slums of LA, which I fear it may be by what I've been reading.
As someone mentioned above, there is no such place in downtown Los Angeles. Your fears are completely over the top on this issue.

Look at the crime stats for the area. Read what others have written about on this forum. Think about the fact that millions of people live in LA. If you do all that, you'll see...

Old 02-23-2012, 03:42 PM

13,349 posts, read 16,554,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
******' A right, it's not like New York. Out here you can avoid trouble. It's not like you live in Compton, Sue, with bullets whizzing by your head.
You live in a good neighborhood, man. In New York trouble finds you.

Be smart and avoid hanging out in projects. If you are living in Memphis, you are moving to a place where the violent crime rate is about half.
You're so money, you don't even know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles