U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 10,991 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
I'm italian and live in Naples, Italy with my husband and 2 yrs old child. My husband had a job opportunity in Long Beach for an important company and we should move there soon. We already lived in the States 2 yrs ago at Everett, Wa that is a quite calm place. Naples is a very busy city, even if we live in a mid-town neighborhood.
I read about criminality problems in LB and would like to know, from somebody that knows the area, which is a nice place but NOT in the middle of nowhere, for a young couple with a child.
Thanks in advance to all those will answer me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:14 AM

4,028 posts, read 8,297,103 times
As is usual, the crime issue is very very very overblown.

The area of Long Beach south of Lakewood Bl is nice middle class with some upper class areas. Belmont Shores is the nicest part. Also Bixby Knolls is very nice as well, even though its well north of Lakewood Bl. Basically, more than half the city of Long Beach is very nice. North Long Beach is pretty bad and some parts around Anaheim St and PCH, north of Cherry, are not nice.

If that doesn't work, the surrounding cities of Signal Hill, Lakewood, Cerritos, Los Alamitos, Rossmoor, and Seal beach are all very nice areas. None of the above is in the middle of nowhere. All of it is the CONTINUOUS city that is LA/OC/IE.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:24 AM

Thank you so much, I will start my search, what about downtown? I saw a very nice condo in city place area but the price is high, starting from $2000

Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 AM

I like downtown living. I live in Downtown LA and might live in Downtown Long Beach if I worked in that area.

The decision is yours, but at that budget and with a child, you might find the nearby amenities to be better in Belmont Shores. Theres parks, the beach is easier to access(Theres no beach in downtown and the beach just south of downtown LB is kinda sketchy), and its a more family friendly environment.

Everyone in Downtown LA(and I believe the Downtown LA and Downtown LB environments are comparable) that I've seen with children move out before the kids are 5 years old.

I don't see how you can go wrong with something like this:

Garage - Full Ammentities - Across from Beach (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/apa/2866671585.html - broken link)

Old 02-24-2012, 12:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,130,107 times
If you're from Italy I don't think you'll mind the crime here. I'd definitely look at southeast Long Beach, around Belmont Shores (the ad JohnG72 posted looks good)...and there's even a part of town called Naples!

I just moved to Long Beach a week ago and I live just east of downtown. It's ok and my apartment is really really nice but there are a lot of weird people around downtown so I think with kids you'd want to live more like around Belmont Shores or in one of the nearby towns. If that apartment you're talking about is by the City Place Wal-Mart, that area is really ghetto, I'd avoid it. Downtown has some nice new condo buildings a bit south of there but I bet they're expensive.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM

325 posts, read 170,829 times
How is the area around the Fountain View Apartments in Long Beach?

Old 02-24-2012, 01:51 PM

That's not a particularly good neighborhood.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 PM

325 posts, read 170,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
That's not a particularly good neighborhood.
How bad is it?. Crime?

Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 PM

Ok its's clear, Belmont shores is the best place, I was walking around by ocean blvd with google maps street view and yes, it's a nice place. Is there any other place where to search?

Old 02-24-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibianto View Post
Ok its's clear, Belmont shores is the best place, I was walking around by ocean blvd with google maps street view and yes, it's a nice place. Is there any other place where to search?
Anywhere south of Lakewood Bl. Or Bixby Knolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or