Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,830 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking around for a couple of weeks, soaking in all of the good advice that others have received from similar relocation questions. I will be relocating to SoCal for a job in Torrance CA (particularlly, near Magellan Dr.). After reading the numerous relocation threads, I have a great idea of where to look for a place (both in terms of location and actual search tool). However, I was wondering if you guys could help me out with the following particular ?'s

First, some background on me, to help in answering the questions. 24, single, 100K/year salary. More into pub/bar scene than true club nightlife (ie: more laid back entertainment)

1) I know that the beach towns of Hermosa et al are continuously praised on here for their high quality of life. In addition, there seems to be this group of individuals that are also really high on the quality of life in Long Beach. Based on my research thus far, it looks like there is a couple hundred dollar price difference between the two locations. In your opinion, would it be more advantegeous to shell out the extra $ and live near Redondo or Manhattan, or would you consider Long Beach and option (based on what I've seen, the drawbacks are clearly the drive and perhaps a "lower quality" area).

2) A lot of people seem to suggest certain areas of Torrance as being a nice place to live. Clearly, in Torrance would be cheaper than living in Redondo. In the opinion of everyone that is the familiar with the area, if I could swing the price difference, is the increase in rent worth it? Or, is it better to just head out on the weekends.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. I plan on doing another survey trip in mid October. I have been out to the area twice before (stayed at the Crown Plaza on Redondo), but really don't have a good enough feel for the surrounding areas to answer these on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 01:40 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,267 times
Welcome! I grew up right on the Torrance/Redondo border. Of the three beach communities of Redondo, Hermosa and Manhattan, I believe Manhattan Beach is the most expensive. I know that in Redondo Beach, prices go down the further away from the beach you get.

The riviera area of Redondo Beach (south Redondo) is nice. That area is a walkable village with a Trader Joes, a few restaurants and bars and is close to the beach. It's got a small town feel to it.

You might also look at the older part of Torrance, around Torrance High School. It's undergone some restoration in the past decade and you can find some smaller homes with charm around there. It's further from the beach, so it should be a little cheaper.

Long Beach is okay, but you'll have a bad commute if you plan on taking the 405.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,830 times
Thanks suncat!

I ran the LB to work commute by my HR person, and she said 30 minutes is about the average commute time for the 10 or so employees that work at our location and live in LB. Sounds pretty optimistic based on what I've heard on here...

Old 09-08-2007, 11:58 AM

916 posts, read 3,699,752 times
The difference between Long Beach and the southbay cities you mention is size. Long Beach is 400k people and really is 9 distinct districts. I think the Belmont Shore / Peninsula area is as nice as any of the cities you mention. Quality of life doesn't get any better. The drive would be 30 minutes as opposed to 15 if you live in the southbay.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:01 PM

108 posts, read 290,756 times
I completely agree with NaplesRes.

Since you're a young single guy who's more into the bar/pub scene than club scene, you'll like Belmont Shores area of Long Beach. Pretty mellow, lots of bars and restaurants, and you're right on the beach. It can get a little crowded at night on the weekends at the bars, though. Also more affordable than Hermosa or Manhattan Beach. The area is nice, and there's enough space between Belmont and the bad part of Long Beach.

If you expect your income to increase over $100K as you progress thru your job, and if its a job that you can get with another company in the area (in case you quit or get laid off) then I say pay the extra $ to live in Hermosa or Manhattan. But Belmont Shores is definetely a very nice place to live and play. You might want to also consider Seal Beach, particularly off of Main Street. Even more mellow bar/pub scene than Belmont Shores, nicer neighborhood, lots of cute girls your age, but a little farther south down the 405 fwy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles