Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 01:34 PM

11 posts, read 95,472 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I have 2 dogs and need to find a pet friendly rental. I found it to be quite hard since most rentals if they even do allow dogs it's usually just 1 pet not two. Or it has to b under pounds. I have a 10 pound ****su and a 45 pound friendly pit bull I rescued from the pound. Both dogs are very quiet clean and house broken. Very nice well behaved dogs and crate trained. Most places that do allow larger dogs don't allow the breed. Does anyone know a pit bull friendly rental?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 04:23 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
Hey, vandweller. First the easy answer, (not meant sarcastically in the slightest)- if you spell the breed's name correctly, Shi Tzu, the censorship detectors won't mess with it!

I would highly suggest looking for a modest guest house to rent with your dogs. There is less likely to be objection from other tenants, and the landlord in front may actually appreciate a guard dog in one of the rentals. When I rented, I offered a "caca clause" to the tenancy contract, that I would pay, uncontested, for any damage to the property that genuinely was attributable to a dog. The landlords seemed to like that.

If the landlords have dogs themselves, don't be surprised if they decline. Loose Amstaffs and Pitbulls actually are a problem here, and anyone witih dogs is correct to be wary of them. (For non-dog people, properly socialized PitBulls, as the poster above has as indicated by its getting along great with a little Shi Tzu, are not a problem with people, despite the bad press. They will, however, kill other dogs, as they are wired to do so as surely as my sighthound is wired to chase moving objects. Neither can help it: their brains demand this.)

Old 12-07-2008, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 9,366 times
Default try www.petrent.net

try PET FRIENDLY APARTMENT RENTALS I've used them twice in the past 4 years when moving with my 2 large dogs (labs) and have had great success. good luck

Old 12-07-2008, 09:56 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
There are a TON of pit bulls in North Hollywood.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:58 PM

276 posts, read 1,019,048 times
Just the mention of a "PIT BULL" will immediately turn many people off.

There has been too many of these type dogs that have bitten people. For those who will allow two dogs you will have to put up a very large deposit to live in a decent place, and even then they are hard to find.

I suggest you rent a house (where they will allow dogs) with a yard.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:39 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,340 times
Pit bulls are a problem. My insurance co asks the breed of my tenants dogs. German Shepherds and pitbulls are an immediate "no insurance". Some other breeds are a negative too, I do not know which ones. I do not know if all insurance co's do this or not. The 2 I have dealt with have.
You might have better luck if you just say you have a mutt of unknown breeds.
I think it is more important to look at the tenant than the dog. Good people, generally, do not have dangerous dogs. Even a small dog can be dangerous if the owner is an idiot.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:42 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Pit bulls are a problem. My insurance co asks the breed of my tenants dogs. German Shepherds and pitbulls are an immediate "no insurance". Some other breeds are a negative too, I do not know which ones. I do not know if all insurance co's do this or not. The 2 I have dealt with have.
You might have better luck if you just say you have a mutt of unknown breeds.
I think it is more important to look at the tenant than the dog. Good people, generally, do not have dangerous dogs. Even a small dog can be dangerous if the owner is an idiot.
Bingo.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:53 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,340 times
Also, you can offer to get your own liability insurance that would cover you and the property if the dog bites someone. Tell the landlord that you will have the property owners name on the policy as an additional insured and make a condition in the lease. These policies run about $230 a year or so for $1,000,000 of coverage. In general, liablilty insurance is good to have if you own a dog; all dogs can bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: