U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 11:53 AM

79 posts, read 159,281 times

Advertisements

I could use some suggestions. I am traveling to downtown Los Angeles on business in April and plan on arriving a couple of days early to look around, have a hotel reservation near the airport for the initial days. Mostly I love the outdoors and historic places. I have thought about checking out the beach communities (Hermosa and Venice), maybe the La Brea Tar Pits and going to the Griffith Observatory otherwise I am searching for good activities. Thank you in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM

13,349 posts, read 16,544,682 times
First off, why stay at an airport hotel?
What is your per diem for the hotel and will you have a car?

Old 02-27-2012, 02:10 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,463,619 times
You didn't mention specific dates, but if you're DT on April 21-22 it's easy to get to the Festival of Books at USC. Usually it's heavy on non-fiction with lots of authors of new releases on hand for interesting panel discussions. Admission is free, the discussions are too but I think you do need an advance reservation as seating in various auditoria can be limited. Check back as April approaches for the program schedule and new authors get added.

If you're DT on March 31-April 1, the Brewery Artwalk is really fun. It's too early for Cinespia but take the Red Line (park at Union Station) to Hollywood and go to Hollywood Forever Cemetery. There are events there too. Chilly Gonzales on the 6th ($25).

Last edited by Bunjee; 02-27-2012 at 02:27 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 02:23 PM

79 posts, read 159,281 times
My free days are April 11 and 12. Reserved a hotel near the airport as a placeholder, could use better options.

thanks

Old 03-01-2012, 05:06 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,463,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffynole View Post
My free days are April 11 and 12. Reserved a hotel near the airport as a placeholder, could use better options.

thanks
OK, well it's a little early to cite specific events and I don't know what you're into anyway, but for downtown alone you can go to the Central Library. It's a beautiful building and they do daily tours. You can also tour Disney Hall (and Dorothy Chandler and the Ahmanson).

At the Natural History Museum ($12 admission) there's the annual butterfly exhibit, where they let of course native butterflies and other species from around the world fly around the pavilion. There's also a Dinosaur Hall, and I think admission covers the Spider Pavilion too. This might be as opposed to heading out west to the Tar Pits, where BTW I accidentally lost some childhood items to future paleontologists.

Olvera Street doesn't hold much draw for me, though unfortunately you'll miss the Blessing of the Animals on April 7th, which is fun to watch. But it is walkable from Union Station, so you can wander over easily if you're using the train to get to Hollywood or Pasadena or even just to Exposition Park.

I think you'll miss the L.A. Beer Fest too, but there are breweries. Angel City, Weiland's. The Bonaventure Brewery has a nice view, but it's more upscale.

For cocktails you can check out The Association on Wednesday evening when they have a cocktail class free. It's a really classic venue, a little yuppie-trendy, with city cocktail prices. But you're gonna be spending that much elsewhere for that kind of place, so it's nice to get a workshop out of it too. Might be a nice business meeting/ice breaking activity. There are plenty of bars and lounges downtown otherwise. It's generally not my scene. I love the interior of the Edison though.

Just on the other side of Chinatown there's the San Antonio Winery for tours. Minimum tour size, so call to glom onto another group.

Along with some walking tours, there's something called Segwow. It's a downtown tour, but on a Segway. Now, even at $89 and at the risk of looking like a dork (actually a flock of dorks), I've never been on a Segway so I think it might be worth the cost!

There's a few suggestions for downtown but I'm sure there's plenty more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles