Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:57 PM

7 posts, read 8,800 times

Advertisements

Potential job in El Segundo paying 115 base with 20% bonus ($130-140k)

Housing requirements
Safe Safe Safe!
3-4 bedrooms
Decent schools
Drive 40-50 min max

Kids are 2-8. We are home bodies with a penchant for doing free stuff so we don't need a ton of discretionary income. Just need to be sure we can pay bills.

Where should I look? Lakewood maybe? Can I do this?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 03:04 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,117,393 times
lakewood is a good option. i'd go with torrance or inland redondo beach if i was in your position.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:46 PM

844 posts, read 2,094,154 times
You would even have money left over to support me!

How could someone NOT live off $100k+ almost anywhere in the world?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post

I have seen people who say a family of 4 needs to make 200k to live in la. Need to know what I am getting into. Getting on the plane to the interview now!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:57 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,117,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestanz View Post
I have seen people who say a family of 4 needs to make 200k to live in la. Need to know what I am getting into. Getting on the plane to the interview now!
my wife and i definitely make under $200k, but we live a great life in LA. we just bought a house and my wife is pregnant with our first child. once the baby comes around, we'll most likely be making under $100k/year, but with some savings and fiscal restraint, we shouldn't have to adjust our lifestyles too much. it is expensive to live here, but if you avoid the 'keeping up with the joneses' mentality, it's not so bad.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:04 PM

Thanks, any more help with areas to look for housing given the info above would also be appreciated.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:02 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,212,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestanz View Post
Depends on your lifestyle and where you live..

You'll need much more than 200k for a family of 4 if you plan on hittin it up on W.Hollywood every weekend, driving the latest Lexus, eating at fancy restrunts, owning a home in Laguna and vacationing to Avalon twice a year..

Old 02-28-2012, 09:34 PM

362 posts, read 815,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post

Plenty of people in LA cant

Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 PM

4,536 posts, read 10,589,580 times
Renting is no problem.

Buying will be a problem if you do not have 20% down as you are likely looking at a minimum of $600-700K for a home with your requirements ANYWHERE in South Bay that has good schools.

You can easily afford a very nice home in Lakewood(pay attention to school district you are zoned for) and Long Beach south of Lakewood Bl. But the problem is there are relatively few listings that would meet your size requirement in the areas zoned to Long Beach or Bellflower school districts.

People make wild claims about LA life because they confuse needs and wants. I live in one of the nicest(from my perspective) parts of LA with an amazing nightlife. I drive a luxury sports car that turns heads consistently. I have many things I want. I spend $50-100 on a dinner for myself without blinking. I take trips to Las Vegas whenever I want. I manage to save $1000 cash a month, and more into my 457 plan. Yet I don't make $100K. People are often silly in their needs/wants list. Mortgaging an anchor known as a house is yet another mistake people often make. Decide for yourself whats most important to you. Your income is enough to live well in the South Bay. It may not be enough to mortgage a home there.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 AM

107 posts, read 197,456 times
We have four children and make less than $130k/year. Our biggest issue is that my husband is self-employed (and so am I, but I am just beginning my career), so a good 15% of our income goes to federal taxes. That having been said, California bases its taxes on AGI (and a decent amount of my husband's income goes back into his job), and we ended up zeroing out for state taxes thanks to the children. :P

As far as living expenses, we live on the westside in a below-market rental house, and if we ever lose this one, I don't know what we'll do... probably move further out if necessary or get a condo with pool access. The yard that was very important when we first moved here isn't so much so now that our son is older and can just as easily play quietly with legos for hours as go outside and harrass the neighborhood cats... But when he was over a year younger when we moved here, he literally HAD to have outside time. Now I'd be okay with no yard as long as there was access to a pool.

It really depends on what you want. Will you have the equivalent of a "back east" lifestyle (4bedroom, 2 bath, 2500sqft house, 2 relatively new cars, vacations, etc.) on $130k? Probably not. But we have been comfortable and would be even more so if we weren't still paying off student loans and some stupid debt. Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles