U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 02:50 AM

14 posts, read 24,544 times

Advertisements

I've been checking out apartments and so far I've looked in West Hollywood, North Hollywood, and Burbank. I'll be working from home so commute won't be an issue. I'm wondering how the night life compares for these areas? I'm a 21 year old single guy so I'd like to live in an area where there's at least some stuff to do at night. What would you recommend?

I liked Burbank just because it seemed a bit more spread out to me than West and North Hollywood, but it also didn't seem like there was as much to do there (which I guess could be expected). Am I wrong about Burbank? And are there any specific sections of Hollywood that I should check out? My budget is $1000/month or less, looking to get my own place without roommates.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 AM

1,184 posts, read 2,424,439 times
i lived in burbank this past year and theres no nightlife whatsoever there. theres a few chill bars but everything is in hollywood and weho. you should be able to find something around 1k though in burbank as compared to weho and hollywood where its a little pricier. im not too crazy about the whole party scene in hollywood and weho (mainly because it seems too crowded and over priced), but youll find the action there. plus weather wise it will be a few degrees cooler, esp in the summer when its hot in burbank.

but-i enjoyed burbank because id work in hollywood and downtown LA and at the end of the day i wanted some peace and quiet. i used to also drive to pasadena and hangout there instead, maybe theres stuff out there in your price range? i really enjoyed pasadena as well. a strip of bars and clubs on colorado.

couldnt be able to tell you much about noho but it seems more grungier with areas with more crime than burbank and weho. seems cool and artsy at the same time, but i prob wouldnt live there.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 AM

68 posts, read 130,564 times
I live near WeHo and trek over to Burbank and NoHo pretty regularly since I have friends spread over the LA map.

WeHo is geared more towards the gay clubbing crowd as there are many clubs in a row catering to the same crowd. Not sure if that's your scene. There are other clubs as well in and around the area. If you are nightlife-focused, then this is likely your nabe.

NoHo is a neigbhorhood in gentrification-mode. It's growing pretty fast and has new bars, clubs and pubs popping up everywhere. The mix of bars is from gay to mainstream and everything inbetween. It is a bit more artsy there and on the dirtier side (like most artist communities), so it's not for everyone.

Burbank is more of an area where you settle down and have kids. There is a downtown area with an AMC and restaurants, but not much more than that. There are some bars, but Burbank being more of a suburb has them spread way out from each other, so you have to drive to each.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM

12,825 posts, read 19,266,800 times
WeHo is an order of magnitude better than BUR in this regard.

As noted, NoHo is up and coming.

Thing I like about NoHo is the ethnic component. WeHo, broad brush, is more of a "Stuff White People Like" type of place. That can be good as well, for its own reasons. Independently wealthy, I would probably still choose WeHo, a starving artist probably NoHo.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:00 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,269,378 times
I lived in WeHo in my 20s. Now, I live in Burbank. I love Burbank. It's great & fairly quiet and I don't have to deal with a lot of traffic. And I'm in my late 30s, married with a kid.

Move to WeHo.

Some of the most fun of my life, I had in West Hollywood. Yeah, it's a lot of gay clubs (I was in walking distance to Mickey's and Rage so I went there a lot), but you're right in the middle of everything. Seriously, move there. You'll have a blast. Move to the valley when you're ready to settle down

Old 02-29-2012, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm straight so I probably wouldn't fit in too well at the gay clubs, but from the sounds of it West Hollywood and NoHo have a lot more going on than Burbank.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD90 View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm straight so I probably wouldn't fit in too well at the gay clubs, but from the sounds of it West Hollywood and NoHo have a lot more going on than Burbank.
If you have issues with gay people being out & proud, then honestly you probably won't like West Hollywood. If you don't have a problem with it, you'll love it. I know several straight guys who lived there and had a great time.

Ironically, a couple of my gay friends who visited me thought WeHo was "too gay." HAH! Loved visiting me, but didn't want to live there. I will say I was really in the "heart" of gay WeHo, though (Larrabee & Santa Monica).

NoHo strikes me as about as "boring" as Burbank, by the way. I'm not sure there's much to do there. When I want a night out on the town, I usually head down to Hollywood. That's what I love about Burbank. Live somewhere boring, but fun is only about 15-20 minutes away. But, yeah, if you want to live in the middle of it all, WeHo is the way to go.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:55 AM

I don't have any problem with gay people, I prefer if it's not too "in your face" (dunno a better way to put it) but I figure some of it's to be expected living in LA.

I'm leaning towards the West Hollywood area. Only other thing I'm wondering about is the type of women out there. I'd like to find someone smart that I could have a real relationship with. I realize every area will have plenty of different types of girls, but as a whole, would I have a decent chance of finding what I'm looking for in West Hollywood, or are there better areas for that? Can't settle down to Burbank later on in life if I don't find anyone to settle down with.

The main reason I ask is the area I'm in right now is a party area, and the girls, while fun, are known for being kind of shallow and not the type most guys would settle down with.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:33 AM

369 posts, read 427,131 times
Quote:
Only other thing I'm wondering about is the type of women out there. I'd like to find someone smart that I could have a real relationship with. I realize every area will have plenty of different types of girls, but as a whole, would I have a decent chance of finding what I'm looking for in West Hollywood, or are there better areas for that? Can't settle down to Burbank later on in life if I don't find anyone to settle down with.

The main reason I ask is the area I'm in right now is a party area, and the girls, while fun, are known for being kind of shallow and not the type most guys would settle down with.
Women aren't really categorized by area, as far as I know. Or did I miss that memo? You can find any type of woman (or man) in any city, and they could be the right/wrong one for you.

You have as much of a chance meeting a great woman in WeHo as you would in Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Burbank, Santa Monica, etc. But I bet you've already figured out that trying to make a "nice" girl out of the "naughty" girl who's into nightly bar crawls, passing out from drinking/smoking/snorting, or walking around nearly naked down Santa Monica Blvd, ain't gonna happen. Otherwise, you shouldn't be too disillusioned - one hopes.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:25 PM

Yeah, I don't think all the smart & intelligent women are all grouped in the same area. But, then, it probably depends on the type of woman you're looking for. i.e. hipster chicks will probably be more in Silverlake/Eagle Rock. Single moms (you're only 21... don't look for a single mom) are probably more in Burbank. I imagine more beach bunny types will be in Santa Monica. But, again, there is no "one type" of woman here. Everyone is pretty spread out.

Where I was in WeHo, the gayness was very much "in your face," but again, I was right in the heart of it. I had friends who were a bit further out (but still in WeHo), and it was a lot more mellow there.

Quote:
I don't have any problem with gay people, I prefer if it's not too "in your face" (dunno a better way to put it) but I figure some of it's to be expected living in LA.

I'm leaning towards the West Hollywood area. Only other thing I'm wondering about is the type of women out there. I'd like to find someone smart that I could have a real relationship with. I realize every area will have plenty of different types of girls, but as a whole, would I have a decent chance of finding what I'm looking for in West Hollywood, or are there better areas for that? Can't settle down to Burbank later on in life if I don't find anyone to settle down with.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or