U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 AM

29,125 posts, read 21,138,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Hello RelocateMaybe.

You mention in your post that you are teaching a night class in a CC. I have to ask, do you think it is crazy for someone age 50 to return to college to pursue a degree? I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this has been haunting me. I took some language courses, and some other classes as well. Now, I want to do much more.
A lady in her early 90's (I think she was 93) graduated with an Associate Degree from Fullerton College a few years a go. There is no age where one is too old to learn. There are plenty of non-traditional students in both the CC's and universities. You won't be alone - go ahead and pursue your educational objectives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:14 AM

12,840 posts, read 23,199,762 times
Ditto. I'd never been in a CC class that didn't have older people around.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 AM

70 posts, read 195,839 times
I go to SMC (Santa Monica Community College). It's a good school, but the area surrounding the school is extremely busy, and I've seen a lot of accidents happen especially during the evening. Also, classes are scarce if you don't have priority enrollment and during the Summer and Winter they don't offer very many evening courses. I work full time 9-6, so it really affect my progress.

Other than that, SMC has a very good transfer rate to UCLA which is why it's a recommended school. Once you get to the higher level courses the professors are tougher on you and will not coddle the students.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:23 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,977,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer22 View Post
Other than that, SMC has a very good transfer rate to UCLA which is why it's a recommended school.
The school itself has nothing to do with transfer success--it's about the students themselves. All non-specialized CA community colleges have articulation agreements with CSU and UC campuses. All CCs are pretty comparable in that aspect.

Universities don't really look at the schools themselves, but the GPA and the academic success of each individual student. Just because someone is transferring from SMC, that doesn't mean he or she has a higher chance of being accepted to UCLA than a PCC student with a similar academic record.

SMC has the highest transfer rate to UCLA because the school itself has a large student population and the local westside students prefer to transfer to a westside area university--which happens to be UCLA.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 PM

4,721 posts, read 13,612,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Hello RelocateMaybe.

You mention in your post that you are teaching a night class in a CC. I have to ask, do you think it is crazy for someone age 50 to return to college to pursue a degree? I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this has been haunting me. I took some language courses, and some other classes as well. Now, I want to do much more.
I think you would be crazy not to.
Go for it

Old 03-01-2012, 01:48 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
I'm 53 and go. I've been going off and on since my 20's...lol. I got an AA in my late 30's and just go for fun.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:51 PM

294 posts, read 771,638 times
Talking Los Angeles Community College... It's not so great.

A walking distance from where I live. Became a student for fun, just joined gymnastic and Judo class. Hyyyaaahhhhh!!

Play a few pick-up basketball games and hit the fitness gym after. No more going to 24 Hour fitness and Ballys.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:15 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,102,232 times
I am taking Spanish, and have taken Italian. When I was younger, I wanted to study Italian. It is such a beautiful language. I have always regretted not studying Spanish. I also want to become bilingual because I feel it would be useful in employment. Even in the dead-end jobs I have worked at a knowledge of Spanish would have been so useful. I also could have applied for a much better paying and far more rewarding career-type job had I only been able to speak Spanish.

If we ever do relocate to California, I felt that a knowledge of Spanish would be helpful in employment as well.

I regret not pursuing Italian more aggressively. When looking at schools in areas of CA we are considering, I check to see if Italian is offered. I seldom find it offered. This concerns me because I do plan on taking more of it, and want to earn a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or