U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:48 PM

4 posts, read 3,318 times

Advertisements

I had a HORRIBLE morning today. I got pulled over for having out of state (and expired) plates on my car. My license is also still from out of state. I've been here for about a year.

The cop decided to impound my car instead of just writing me a fix-it ticket and it cost me close to $800 and a morning of cabs and missing work just to get my car back.

Now that I'm done venting here is my question...
The officer told me that since I still haven't changed my license over to California, I'm an unlicensed driver. He also told me that he could arrest me and I'm up for $5000 in fines if that happens.

Now is that the truth, or was he just being a $%$ when he said he was "doing me a favor" for not arresting me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,021,277 times
You're doing it wrong. If you had NO license, they'd have just sent you on your way. Can't discriminate against the illegals in LA now.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:03 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,326,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryMovers View Post
I had a HORRIBLE morning today. I got pulled over for having out of state (and expired) plates on my car. My license is also still from out of state. I've been here for about a year.

The cop decided to impound my car instead of just writing me a fix-it ticket and it cost me close to $800 and a morning of cabs and missing work just to get my car back.

The officer told me that since I still haven't changed my license over to California, I'm an unlicensed driver. He also told me that he could arrest me and I'm up for $5000 in fines if that happens.

Now is that the truth, or was he just being a $%$ when he said he was "doing me a favor" for not arresting me?
-is your DL from your original state valid?
-what CVC's were you cited for?
-why would he cut you loose with a car that is not legally allowed to be operated on the road?
-since he didn't arrest your / fine you $5000, what does it matter?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:04 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,326,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You're doing it wrong. If you had NO license, they'd have just sent you on your way. Can't discriminate against the illegals in LA now.
would rep you, but can't.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 PM

215 posts, read 406,975 times
This seems fishy, I have a current Minnesota license, but I have California plates. I got pulled over and the cop didn't really care, he gave me a warning for speeding. The cop cannot prove on the spot how long you have been in California, the only way he/she can nail you is if the license is expired.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 PM

6,258 posts, read 10,333,059 times
State is broke, cops are unpredictable but generally more aggressive than before. DMV no longer forgives expired registration and penalizes dearly those who missed doing but cops typically do not care about out of state plates (as long as they are still valid). I think you hit a *****-hole of a cop who probably hadn't gotten any in a long while.

Even then, you were asking for it by driving a vehicle with an out of state plates that had expired tags. I don't know if it was normal or proper for him to get your car towed but like I said, they are a lot less forgiving than before!
Did he at least give you a hug or a kiss afterward?

Welcome to CA!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:39 PM

6,662 posts, read 25,346,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryMovers View Post

Thank you, thank you.

Posts like this please me to no end. Our system is working to get dead beats off the road.

Nope, you are the $%$

Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,380,218 times
are you telling us the whole story? Your plates are expired, I'm betting your license is expired too. A whole year in CA and you never got around to taking care of that? Come on man

Old 03-02-2012, 07:35 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,814,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
are you telling us the whole story? Your plates are expired, I'm betting your license is expired too. A whole year in CA and you never got around to taking care of that? Come on man
Exactly this ^^^

One year and the OP didnt take care of this? Wow. Im thinking the OP looked into the cost of transferring all the stuff and tried to cheap his/her way out of it by hoping he/she would never get caught. OR, wanted to see if "this LA dream of mine will work, then I'll either have the money to transfer the license, or I'll just go back home to Ohio".

Old 03-02-2012, 09:11 AM

890 posts, read 2,415,224 times
Are you still insured with an out of state license and expired plates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles