U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Unread 03-03-2012, 03:21 PM
5X5 5X5 started this thread
Status: "Soaking Up The Knowledge" (set 10 days ago)
 
37 posts, read 35,791 times
Reputation: 24
Default House hunt, take two. Realistic commute to Burbank?

So the hubs and I (no kids) will be making our second trip from AZ to CA to find a rental house/townhouse/whatever. We are relocating sometime this month and he will be working in Burbank.

Our first trip out, we were generally disappointed in the areas that we saw (North Hollywood, Van Nuys, Burbank--never did see the "SO nice" of Burbank that everyone told us about but maybe we drove around/past it ) and just couldn't imagine living there.

We will be branching out this trip to Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Encino area and just noticed Northridge and San Fernando on the map and wondered....

Any opinions on these areas? Any of these too far to commute to Burbank? I wondered if he could take surface streets and make decent time.

And what's the story on Chatsworth?

Don't hold back. I am fairly ignorant about the valley and need to learn fast. $2300/mo. max, prefer SFR or Townhouse near lots of retail (I need a part-time job).

Last edited by 5X5; 03-03-2012 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: question about Chatsworth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 03-03-2012, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,365 posts, read 49,396,681 times
Reputation: 16059
Studio City seems to get a lot of recommendations on City Data, as does Burbank. If you can't be happy living within 5 or 10 miles of your job in Burbank you probably won't be happy living 25 miles from Burbank either. After that, the commute gets overwhelming.

Studio City probably has a higher pulse rate than Burbank does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-03-2012, 06:44 PM
5X5 5X5 started this thread
Status: "Soaking Up The Knowledge" (set 10 days ago)
 
37 posts, read 35,791 times
Reputation: 24
Really confused about Burbank. Without intending offense toward anyone who may live there: It seemed to be 95% residential (mostly old, run-down houses with fenced in front yards) 4% small businesses (including a LOT of liquor stores) and 1% other retail like one Target store and a Home Depot.

Did we miss an entire area of the town? Honestly? The houses were $2500/mo for an area I would never feel safe in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-03-2012, 06:54 PM
5X5 5X5 started this thread
Status: "Soaking Up The Knowledge" (set 10 days ago)
 
37 posts, read 35,791 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Studio City seems to get a lot of recommendations on City Data, as does Burbank. If you can't be happy living within 5 or 10 miles of your job in Burbank you probably won't be happy living 25 miles from Burbank either. After that, the commute gets overwhelming.

Studio City probably has a higher pulse rate than Burbank does.

One of my issues lies in not knowing which communities/cities are within that 25 minutes. If you use google maps to search for directions and drive time, I don't know that they are factoring in traffic. So is Encino more than a 30 minute commute? You see my dilemma? Or maybe Pasadena is actually farther away in distance but not in commute time? I just don't know and this is getting expensive and annoying making trips out there to house hunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-03-2012, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,365 posts, read 49,396,681 times
Reputation: 16059
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5X5 View Post
One of my issues lies in not knowing which communities/cities are within that 25 minutes. If you use google maps to search for directions and drive time, I don't know that they are factoring in traffic. So is Encino more than a 30 minute commute? You see my dilemma? Or maybe Pasadena is actually farther away in distance but not in commute time? I just don't know and this is getting expensive and annoying making trips out there to house hunt.
If you don't have a lot of time then I would recommend identifying candidate neighborhoods and apartments using internet information (rent rate, distance, apartment reviews, demographics, traffic, google maps street view) then provide those candidates to the forum so you can get feedback on the intangible, subjective factors which might not show up on internet databases.

It will be hard to go wrong if you are close by and you have no kids to worry about schools for.

Yes the homes are old in Burbank but (perhaps because it isn't city of LA and necessarily not LAUSD) it is a couple notches up compared to similarly aged neighborhoods surrounding it. A lot of old retired Lockheed people built up and live in those neighborhoods. There isn't going to be too much new stuff near by.

One advantage of working in Burbank is the ability to use the Metrolink from Oxnard/Camarillo/Simi/etc OR from Santa Clarita, but like I wrote, those places may be unnecessarily far away, especially for DINKS.

Finally, to aid your quest to do the research, check out www.sigalert.com real time to get an idea of traffic. Like you wrote, maybe a place is farther away in miles but closer in minutes. Maybe Pasadena or even Los Feliz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:55 PM
5X5 5X5 started this thread
Status: "Soaking Up The Knowledge" (set 10 days ago)
 
37 posts, read 35,791 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you don't have a lot of time then I would recommend identifying candidate neighborhoods and apartments using internet information (rent rate, distance, apartment reviews, demographics, traffic, google maps street view) then provide those candidates to the forum so you can get feedback on the intangible, subjective factors which might not show up on internet databases.

It will be hard to go wrong if you are close by and you have no kids to worry about schools for.

Yes the homes are old in Burbank but (perhaps because it isn't city of LA and necessarily not LAUSD) it is a couple notches up compared to similarly aged neighborhoods surrounding it. A lot of old retired Lockheed people built up and live in those neighborhoods. There isn't going to be too much new stuff near by.

One advantage of working in Burbank is the ability to use the Metrolink from Oxnard/Camarillo/Simi/etc OR from Santa Clarita, but like I wrote, those places may be unnecessarily far away, especially for DINKS.

Finally, to aid your quest to do the research, check out www.sigalert.com real time to get an idea of traffic. Like you wrote, maybe a place is farther away in miles but closer in minutes. Maybe Pasadena or even Los Feliz.
Thanks much for the advice and the link. Checking into traffic patterns now. Not sure what a DINK is, hope it's not anything too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-03-2012, 11:13 PM
 
3,064 posts, read 4,070,201 times
Reputation: 1582
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5X5 View Post
Really confused about Burbank. Without intending offense toward anyone who may live there: It seemed to be 95% residential (mostly old, run-down houses with fenced in front yards) 4% small businesses (including a LOT of liquor stores) and 1% other retail like one Target store and a Home Depot.

Did we miss an entire area of the town? Honestly? The houses were $2500/mo for an area I would never feel safe in.

I do not believe you were actually in Burbank. I think you were in North Hollywood and confused it with Burbank. I could be wrong, but were you perhaps at the Target located at Victory and Vineland, and then at the Home Depot on Sherman Way near Lankershim?

The reason I ask is multiple:

1.) There are a TON of liquor store in N. Hollywood.

2.) No one would ever describe Burbank as unsafe.

3.) If you had visited the Target in Burbank, you would have also seen the Lowes, Marshalls, Nordstrom Rack, Michaels, Best Buy, Sports Authority, and the probably 10 more stores and restaurants there. If you had visited the Home Depot in Burbank, you probably also would have seen the huge strech of retail from Olive south to Alameda including a large mall, many stand alone retail centers, a downtown area, a huge movie theatre, and over 30 restaurants.

Its very very common for craigslist ads to claim their rentals to be in a nearby area that is considered to be more desireable than the area they are actually in.

The housing stock BTW, is what SFV is. SFV exploded in population post WWII and most of that housing remains. The only places to find newer housing in SFV are pockets in run down areas like North Hills, where there is LOTS of townhomes built during the fake housing run up, and also in Porter Ranch which is a very nice area. Most SFV housing stock is 1950's, 1970's, or Persian Palace. You can find new build apartments in several places in SFV, but SFR and townhomes, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-04-2012, 04:57 PM
 
4,949 posts, read 1,743,906 times
Reputation: 2283
AMC has three movie theatre multiplexes in downtown Burbank; the largest of them has 16 screens and ranks 3rd in the nation in terms of annual revenue, and #1 in SoCal, since the top two are both in NYC.

It's pretty much your typical middle-America city which could have served as the setting for any TV series ranging from 'Leave It To Beaver' to 'Modern Family'.

It's pricey housing-wise, because it's very desireable for raising families, as well as upper middle-class singles, who might have been referred to as 'yuppies' once upon a time.

DINK= double income, no kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:31 PM
 
Location: LA
5,976 posts, read 10,455,811 times
Reputation: 2367
encino is way over your 25 minute commute threshold FYI. I commute from encino to sherman oaks and it takes 20 minutes, so it's probably close to double to get to burbank. sherman oaks will mostly likely be over 25 minutes as well since the 101 can be very slow. maybe the far eastern portion of sherman oaks may work, try to stay east of coldwater canyon. you also mentioned some north valley neighborhoods, i would count those out as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:11 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top