Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 58,635 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to Los Angeles next summer, with family. We really love how its beautiful all year round out there. They have fun things too do, etc. But, the only thing we are worried about is the crime. We've been reading tons of things online about how bad Los Angeles is, & its getting to our heads literally! We are all kind of scared to move out there. Are we thinking all wrong? Is everything online a LIE? We need to know ASAP your opinions of Los Angeles before we even think about moving out there!
*Be Honest*
Right now we live in Indiana, and our town is really safe, but completely boring, and we want to move somewhere fun! i know our safety is more important, but like i said we really like Los Angeles, or so what we've heard about it. actually never been out there. So please comment, and let us know!
we need your help now!
Thankks

**Indiana Girl,, for now**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 01:58 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
West LA.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:01 PM

8 posts, read 44,419 times
East LA and South LA are the places you want to avoid the most, typically.

Check out LA Life - Find Your Place in Los Angeles

It has a fairly decent color map of crime areas... Though it's going to show most of central Los Angeles as a red zone. =p

Old 12-16-2010, 02:10 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
There's usually a correlation between safe neighborhood and expensive neighborhood in LA.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 58,635 times
Thanks

I'll be sure to check out West LA!~

Old 12-16-2010, 11:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Well you need jobs I would think. You really can't pick a place in LA to live if you don't know where you're working first.

You really need to visit anyplace first before moving.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:53 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Unless you're in a profession that pulls in a whole lot of money.... Maybe you're a surgeon, or an elite attorney whose area of focus is something in demand in LA... Or maybe you have trust funds or income-producing investments worth somewhere north of $20,000,000.00... You're crazy to move to LA. Middle-class white people are fleeing the area in droves, and have been doing so for about a decade.

Today, the area is for the rich and the poor...and for Gay people, who seem to be more accustomed than families, to living in squalid little spaces in iffy areas. For a family, a wretched little house in a safe neighborhood in Santa Monica is around a million dollars. Santa Monica is hardly an elite area. Or, you could pay half-a-mil for a shack, up the hill a ways (thus in danger of wildfires) in Malibu. And when I say shack, I mean the flimsiest Sixties/Seventies construction....often cobbled together by artists or low-rung movie support staff doing the work themselves....usually not to Code. Usually, these places are up some canyon, and not easy to access (or to escape, when the wildfires blow down the canyons).

LA used to be the most wonderful place in the world. You could go from the Desert, across mountains covered in snow, down through the city, and on down Sunset to the beach: all in an afternoon. But Third-World immigration has turned Heaven into Hell. Look up the latest figures for Gangs and gang members in LA. Scary, and getting worse. Find out what La Raza is. And 'Reconquista'.

We had networked and made really good friends in Malibu. Finally, we had the bucks to move there. But our kids refused to consider Pepperdine....or any other school in SoCal.... So we sold our dream-homesite... hanging in the clouds above the Pacific... And just in time. Even Malibu has problems, now (highest concentration of rehab facilities in America). We've rented homes in The Colony, and met some unbelievable people. But the price tags for those golden moments were dizzying. Frankly, if you can't afford to pay twenty thousand dollars a week to vacation in a totally nondescript beach cottage in The Malibu Colony, then you can't afford to move to LA.

Well, if you were Gay, and willing to live in the lean-to at the back of the garage, behind someone's 1920s bungalow in West Hollywood...and work long hours in some support capacity in the film industry...or as an Attorney being used as a Paralegal for very low wages... Then It would be OK, until gang members from a Third-world country gay-bash you, and you end up with brain damage and homeless...

If you have fifteen million or more to spend on a house, there are many wonderful options. Beverly Hills, Bel Air.... Always something indescribably wonderful on the market. And for a few thousand, you can order up beauty queens and competitive bodybuilders for little romps....c'mon....everybody does it....you can order up enough of them to throw an underwear party around your pool. For enough money, you can use third-tier movie stars as Call Girls. That's why dictators from all over the world have houses there, you know. Great environment for raising kids! You have seen 'Less Than Zero', right? How about 'Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills'? 'Slums of Beverly Hills'? 'I'm Losing You'? As surreal as those films all are, they're no more surreal than real life there. And those films are from before things got bad there. I guess the contemporary film for LA would be 'Machete'.

You do have the bucks to put the kids into really good private schools down there, right? The public schools in SoCal are horrid.

The truth is we are living in a dying nation that is falling apart. There are very few good places left. People from California are trying to find towns like yours, to flee to. If you are living in one of them already, I'd suggest you stay.

If you're going to ignore me though, and move there anyway, try Simi Valley/Thousand Oaks/Antelope Valley. And buy S-class Mercedes before you move. You'll need a car that protects you in a crash. The drivers are just plain MURDEROUS. Very fast, very aggressive, frequently unable to read in ANY language, frequently intoxicated.....

Now get on Youtube and play the old Gatlin Brothers song 'All the Gold in California'. That's a very old song, but its premise is vastly more true now, than it was when the it was written. Chances are, that place will eat you alive.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:06 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
^very, very fear-mongering.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al's View Post
I plan on moving to Los Angeles next summer, with family. We really love how its beautiful all year round out there. They have fun things too do, etc. But, the only thing we are worried about is the crime. We've been reading tons of things online about how bad Los Angeles is, & its getting to our heads literally! We are all kind of scared to move out there. Are we thinking all wrong? Is everything online a LIE? We need to know ASAP your opinions of Los Angeles before we even think about moving out there!
*Be Honest*
Right now we live in Indiana, and our town is really safe, but completely boring, and we want to move somewhere fun! i know our safety is more important, but like i said we really like Los Angeles, or so what we've heard about it. actually never been out there. So please comment, and let us know!
we need your help now!
Thankks

**Indiana Girl,, for now**
Where will your job be? Until we know that, it is a waste of bandwidth to make suggestions.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:36 AM

184 posts, read 796,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Unless you're in a profession that pulls in a whole lot of money.... Maybe you're a surgeon, or an elite attorney whose area of focus is something in demand in LA... Or maybe you have trust funds or income-producing investments worth somewhere north of $20,000,000.00... You're crazy to move to LA. Middle-class white people are fleeing the area in droves, and have been doing so for about a decade.

Today, the area is for the rich and the poor...and for Gay people, who seem to be more accustomed than families, to living in squalid little spaces in iffy areas. For a family, a wretched little house in a safe neighborhood in Santa Monica is around a million dollars. Santa Monica is hardly an elite area. Or, you could pay half-a-mil for a shack, up the hill a ways (thus in danger of wildfires) in Malibu. And when I say shack, I mean the flimsiest Sixties/Seventies construction....often cobbled together by artists or low-rung movie support staff doing the work themselves....usually not to Code. Usually, these places are up some canyon, and not easy to access (or to escape, when the wildfires blow down the canyons).

LA used to be the most wonderful place in the world. You could go from the Desert, across mountains covered in snow, down through the city, and on down Sunset to the beach: all in an afternoon. But Third-World immigration has turned Heaven into Hell. Look up the latest figures for Gangs and gang members in LA. Scary, and getting worse. Find out what La Raza is. And 'Reconquista'.

We had networked and made really good friends in Malibu. Finally, we had the bucks to move there. But our kids refused to consider Pepperdine....or any other school in SoCal.... So we sold our dream-homesite... hanging in the clouds above the Pacific... And just in time. Even Malibu has problems, now (highest concentration of rehab facilities in America). We've rented homes in The Colony, and met some unbelievable people. But the price tags for those golden moments were dizzying. Frankly, if you can't afford to pay twenty thousand dollars a week to vacation in a totally nondescript beach cottage in The Malibu Colony, then you can't afford to move to LA.

Well, if you were Gay, and willing to live in the lean-to at the back of the garage, behind someone's 1920s bungalow in West Hollywood...and work long hours in some support capacity in the film industry...or as an Attorney being used as a Paralegal for very low wages... Then It would be OK, until gang members from a Third-world country gay-bash you, and you end up with brain damage and homeless...

If you have fifteen million or more to spend on a house, there are many wonderful options. Beverly Hills, Bel Air.... Always something indescribably wonderful on the market. And for a few thousand, you can order up beauty queens and competitive bodybuilders for little romps....c'mon....everybody does it....you can order up enough of them to throw an underwear party around your pool. For enough money, you can use third-tier movie stars as Call Girls. That's why dictators from all over the world have houses there, you know. Great environment for raising kids! You have seen 'Less Than Zero', right? How about 'Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills'? 'Slums of Beverly Hills'? 'I'm Losing You'? As surreal as those films all are, they're no more surreal than real life there. And those films are from before things got bad there. I guess the contemporary film for LA would be 'Machete'.

You do have the bucks to put the kids into really good private schools down there, right? The public schools in SoCal are horrid.

The truth is we are living in a dying nation that is falling apart. There are very few good places left. People from California are trying to find towns like yours, to flee to. If you are living in one of them already, I'd suggest you stay.

If you're going to ignore me though, and move there anyway, try Simi Valley/Thousand Oaks/Antelope Valley. And buy S-class Mercedes before you move. You'll need a car that protects you in a crash. The drivers are just plain MURDEROUS. Very fast, very aggressive, frequently unable to read in ANY language, frequently intoxicated.....

Now get on Youtube and play the old Gatlin Brothers song 'All the Gold in California'. That's a very old song, but its premise is vastly more true now, than it was when the it was written. Chances are, that place will eat you alive.
This is pretty much the truth, My husband and i live in Los Angeles county About 30 years, i my family when young Live off of Wilshire Blvd. and i have lived in Palmdale, i even lived in Thousand Oaks $$$, move to Sacramento, now we are heading to Virginia. There is no dollar amount that would make us want to move back to LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles