U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:55 AM

27 posts, read 47,690 times

Advertisements

Well, Downtown can revitalize all it wants, I just hope it doesn't tear down some old buildings in the process. I'm not a fan of this new "modern architecture" stuff. It pains me to see a beautiful work of masonry torn down for a parking lot or a some "modern and progressive" building that looks like a crumbled piece of paper.

This is looking north on Spring and 2nd, 1895.
http://latimesphoto.files.wordpress....ierce4_970.jpg

At least we kept the Historic Core mostly intact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 09:13 AM

3,861 posts, read 2,500,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
Well, Downtown can revitalize all it wants, I just hope it doesn't tear down some old buildings in the process. I'm not a fan of this new "modern architecture" stuff. It pains me to see a beautiful work of masonry torn down for a parking lot or a some "modern and progressive" building that looks like a crumbled piece of paper.

True, if anything, we can create more artistic buildings that have small details rather than relying on the entire structure to have some crazy shape.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:32 AM

10,087 posts, read 12,561,310 times
Quote:

I like the Disney Concert Hall, but I do agree with you. Luckily the Adaptive Reuse Policy (which probably is one of the biggest causes of said revitalization) adds incentive to re-use /re-imagine these old buildings. That is a really cool picture, it's too bad DTLA doesn't have any of those Victorian looking high-rises anymore.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:56 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,506,397 times
This is a good website for the latest in downtown LA news -
Los Angeles Downtown News - For Everything Downtown L.A.!: For Everything Downtown L.A.!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 PM

26 posts, read 48,044 times
Quote:

I agree with you, and I think Los Angeles has realized how much of our history we have erased. So unfortunately we have lost many buildings for parking lots. Fortunately downtown, those parking lots are being replaced with towers as we are seeing lately with about 5 towers under construction. This is great. It will provide fluidity for pedestrians that was missing especially on Grand between 7th and 8th where construction is underway. I do believe we are in a modern era though, and replicating or trying to create buildings represented from the past can come off contrived and inauthentic. I say if its old, restore it. If its a blank slate, go all out modern. If its a blank slate in between two historic buildings in the historic core, find a way to honor both new and old architecture.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM

940 posts, read 1,683,329 times
Victorian-era office buildings like the one in the picture are rare anywhere in the US. They were obsolete by the 1920s and were very hard to retrofit into anything resembling modern office space. About the only place you see buildings like that are on old college campuses or as City Halls.

In LA, you had the double-whammy of earthquakes--those buildings (often cast-iron frame) are very brittle.

I know it's a shame as they were incredibly cool-looking, but most of them just weren't compatible with a 20th century city. Just be glad we still have the bradbury building!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 PM

3,861 posts, read 2,500,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
Victorian-era office buildings like the one in the picture are rare anywhere in the US. They were obsolete by the 1920s and were very hard to retrofit into anything resembling modern office space. About the only place you see buildings like that are on old college campuses or as City Halls.

In LA, you had the double-whammy of earthquakes--those buildings (often cast-iron frame) are very brittle.

I know it's a shame as they were incredibly cool-looking, but most of them just weren't compatible with a 20th century city. Just be glad we still have the bradbury building!
It would be great if we can construct more like that. "Modern Art Deco". **** it, lazer cut rock, no labor. More than just a huge glass cube.

Last edited by Count David; 01-30-2013 at 10:01 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 PM

27 posts, read 47,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post

Yes, I know. I read about that before actually. Doesn't make me any less sad though.

That's one reason why a lot of old buildings were demolished. Another reason... or reasons were our Civic Center, road widening, and freeways. A lot of structures needed to be cleared to allow room for those.

Also, is the Bradbury Building open to the public? I've always wanted to go inside.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:00 AM

5,256 posts, read 12,558,881 times
Only the first floor is open to the public. Unless you have an office in there the other floors are off limits. The interior is an atrium so its quite beautiful and great for picture taking.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:36 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
Fashion District Mega-Project Proposed - Los Angeles Downtown News - For Everything Downtown L.A.!: News

Here's an interesting article I have found that I think y'all Angelenos might like. Seems like the L.A. Fashion District is also due for a major makeover it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or